PDA

View Full Version : Renew it !

bigfoot
02-10-2011, 01:58 PM
What do you guys add to your tumbling media to like renew it ?
I tumbled a batch this morning , they were clean but dull looking, i have used the dillon case shine stuff but i thought maybe there was a home brew of sorts that you guys have came up with that i could try.
Bigfoot

wallenba
02-10-2011, 02:07 PM
I use Flitz, sold by Midway and others. Others have used something available at Autozone but I forget what that is. Flitz and others will clump in the media and that can get inside the brass. What I do is add the Flitz first and throw in a couple of rough stones to break it up and run it for five minutes before putting in the brass.

bradh
02-10-2011, 02:14 PM
AutoZone or any auto parts store and get NuFinish....just a few drops in the media and they
come out like gold....I add and vibrate about 5 minutes then add the cases...try it you'll like
it!

1hole
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Like, most folks put to much stuff like in their media. Less is like, more. ?? ;)

beanflip
02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
walmart has NuFinish at a better price

rattletrap1970
02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
I use wizard metal polish. I freshen it up every now and then with a spritz of Kroil.

Kevin Rohrer
02-10-2011, 05:37 PM
I currently use Dillon's stuff, buy may switch to Nu Finish when I run out.

CiDirkona
02-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Menzerna Final Polish II

Kinda pricey to use for this, but I have it -- and don't care TOO much about how my current vehicles sparkle...

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
I get the cheapest polishing compound, usually Turtle wax. Menards has it on sale once in a while for 99¢. I thin that with Isopropyl Alcohol, so it's the same viscosity as the expensive liquid brass polish you're using. I just add a few dribbles every 4th or 5th batch.

For Pistol brass that will be loaded with carbide dies, I also add a few dribbles of any cheap liquid car wax.

PS: When I say Polishing compound, I don't mean Rubbing compound, that is much more agressive

bigfoot
02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the ideas!! Think i have some nufinish in the garage, will give that a try
bigfoot

Kraschenbirn
02-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Good ol' Bon Ami Cleanser. A tablespoon, or so, dumped into my large Dillon ever third load doubles the life of my ground walnut media.

Bill

dragonrider
02-10-2011, 08:27 PM
First I wash my media, then add Dillon Rapid shine.

mold maker
02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
If ya wash your media, make sure there is no weak spot in the bag or what ever ya use. The mess in the washing machine and stopped up drain cost lots more than NEW media.
Washing the brass in citric acid, makes the media last forever.

NWFLYJ
02-10-2011, 09:12 PM
If ya wash your media, make sure there is no weak spot in the bag or what ever ya use. The mess in the washing machine and stopped up drain cost lots more than NEW media.
Washing the brass in citric acid, makes the media last forever.

Was the wife not happy about that one?:mrgreen:

wgr
02-11-2011, 12:59 AM
What about brasso

liljohnnie
02-11-2011, 03:32 AM
What about brassoBrasso has ammonia in it, 2-3% by volume. It will make your brass shiny but will also make it more brittle over time.

JesterGrin_1
02-11-2011, 03:36 AM
I add Nu-Finish to my corn cob media works FANTASTIC. :)

dragonrider
02-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I cut the leg off a pair a pantyhose, put media in it and tie it off but I don't use the washing machine, just use the sink. Dish soap and hot water, swish it around for a will then rinse several times. Then hang it on a nail in the cellar to dry near the coal stove.
HINT: Do not take your wifes last new pair of pantyhose.

STAR4ever
02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I am using walnut media in my Sidewinders, with any old polish such as Flitz, Dillon, Iosso or Cabellas. Run it for 3 hours, pistol cartridges come out really polished and clean. When the walnut media turns black, then I dump it and use new media.

jcwit
02-11-2011, 03:01 PM
What about brasso

Brasso has ammonia in it, 2-3% by volume. It will make your brass shiny but will also make it more brittle over time.

One more time, let the ammonia evaropate off and go ahead and use Brasso.
No ammonia=No problem.
Just don't use wet/moist Brasso.

Personnally I'd suggest just about any liquid cleaner wax/polish, ie; Nu-Finish, Kit car cleaner wax, Mothers, MaGuiers, ect., ect.
Plus you probably already have an open bottle in the garage.

Why oh why would anyone waste time to wash media? Its loaded with lead compounds. Plus new media is so cheap, $ .57 per lb. drop shipped to your front door.

Washing media makes about as much sense as reusing used motor oil.

bigfoot
02-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the ideas,
bigfoot