PDA

View Full Version : Good way to shorten long bullets?

nwellons
02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I've read about lopping or cutting cruise missile bullets but have not seen any how-to do it posts.

The bullet mold I have for a .43 Egyptian puts out a very long 400g bullet that looks like a giant version of the cruise missile. I got it because it was the closest fit for an unusual diameter. I am a little worried about pressure, even with black powder because it is 50 g heavier than any load I have found that others have used. That's why I am interested in cutting off part, checking the primer for high pressure indications and working my way up.

What is the best way to cut off part of a cast, pure lead bullet?

Or is there no need to worry about pressure. I'm shooting a somewhat worn rolling block. I have already shot quite a few custom reloads that were 350g.

Any other advice?

onondaga
02-10-2011, 05:06 PM
A tool for that would be nice. Maybe a cigar trimmer?[smilie=s:
I have 30 cal spire pointed bullets I'd love to trim to flat nose because they don't kill deer very well with the spire points.
Gary

rhbrink
02-10-2011, 07:40 PM
I have thought a few times about doing the same and even thought about a die set up like the case trimmers that screw into the press where you run a case into the die and take a file and remove the bit of case sticking up about the die. The top of the die being so hard that a file won't even scratch it. Maybe come up with a similar die just for boolits be nice if it was adjustable too.

deltaenterprizes
02-10-2011, 08:17 PM
IF you can find a collet to fit the boolit , a case trimmer may work to make a couple for testing.

koehn,jim
02-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Dont use a cigar cutter you will ruin the blade why not try a dremal tool or heat chisel and just push it thru.

45nut
02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Another tack would be send the mold to get the top milled off and re-set the sprue plate and stops.

bhn22
02-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Another tack would be send the mold to get the top milled off and re-set the sprue plate and stops.

I agree, and I would think that if Buckshot & Eric can do band enlargement, they would be able to bore out the last lube groove if it becomes necessary to reinforce the base a little.

stubshaft
02-11-2011, 12:39 AM
That wouldn't shorten the bullet efficiently unless it was a nose pour.

selmerfan
02-11-2011, 10:13 AM
A tool for that would be nice. Maybe a cigar trimmer?[smilie=s:
I have 30 cal spire pointed bullets I'd love to trim to flat nose because they don't kill deer very well with the spire points.
Gary
Send that mold over to Buckshot, have him HP it, and by an extra FN pin for the modification. Voila! FN boolit for a mold that you know your gun shoots well.

Ickisrulz
02-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Meplat trimmer??

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=36562/Product/Sinclair_Meplat_Trimmers

JIMinPHX
02-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Which end do you want to shorten, the nose or the tail? How much do you want to take off?

nwellons
02-12-2011, 08:31 AM
I was originally asking about the tail.