PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 lube sizer

roots911
02-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know how is the steel tube that holds the lube attached to the cast base? Is it screwed in or just a press fit? Mine has developed a leak at the joint and before I start to disassemble I thought I would gather as much info as possible.
Thanks all.

Frank

LUCKYDAWG13
02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
give lyman a call

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Frank,
I can't answer your question as I have never tried to disassemble a tube from the casting.
BUT...
I recently traded for a box full of Lubesizer parts.
I was able to assemble two Lyman 45s.
I have one extra tube with casting (in good shape) available if you need one.
maybe we could work out a trade ???
Jon

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1603.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1602.jpg

SharpsShooter
02-10-2011, 12:08 PM
It is threaded. Clean the tube and wrap a belt or other non slip item around it. Apply a little heat at the base to loosen the crud that gets in the threads and tighten it up. If you disassemble it and clean out the threads, use a drop of blue loctite when you reassemble it. My no. 45 is still going strong :D

SS

45-70bpcr
02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
give lyman a call

Good luck with that. Last time I called Lyman was when the heating element burned out on my old mag 20 furnace. They would not sell me one to install insisting it be sent in for replacement. About a month later I got my furnace back with a note that the element was obsolete so they couldn't do anything for me. Another time I actually came across Lyman's main office when I was on a trip to Middlefield CT.. I stopped in hoping to pick up a part for a 450 sizer and the receptionist all but told me to go fly a kite. She had zero interest in helping me.

roots911
02-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Sharpshooter-
Thanks! I'll give that a try.
Frank

fryboy
02-10-2011, 01:16 PM
+1 on sharpshooter

it is threaded and a fine pitched thread at that standard lefty righty loosey titey , they can also be very very tight and care should be taken as well to make sure that you dont squeeze the tube out of shape , best would be a tite fitting strap wrench as close to the base as you can get , if after judiciously applying a little heat and perhaps a few drops of kroil if it still doesnt want to budge try putting it in the freezer for a few hours , i've only had one that was a real pita and fresh from the freezer ( after the heat didnt work ) i used a thick piece of leather and a vise grip chain wrench ( the leather protected it from the chain ) having the base in a vice goes without saying ( but wanted to make sure all the bases were covered )

roots911
02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that the info you supplied let me repair the unit. I just turned on the heater and when it came up to temp the tube screwed out easily. I cleaned everything up and put un a couple of wraps of heavy duty teflon thread tape and - no more leak. Thanks again for the replys.

Frank

JCherry
02-10-2011, 10:15 PM
JonB_in_Glencoe

It appears Roots 911 took care of his problem and does not need the tube and casting you offered.

I have a Lyman 45, the casting of which is broken and am interested in your casting. What kind of trade etc. are you looking for?

Thanks,

JCherry

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-10-2011, 11:30 PM
PM sent to JCherry

BSkerj
02-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Jon, PM sent about tube..thanks!

SharpsShooter
02-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Just wanted to let you all know that the info you supplied let me repair the unit. I just turned on the heater and when it came up to temp the tube screwed out easily. I cleaned everything up and put un a couple of wraps of heavy duty teflon thread tape and - no more leak. Thanks again for the replys.

Frank

That's great! I love those old lyman tools. Mine never leaked. I discovered the threads on the tube accidentally. I was in the shop several winters ago and trying to lube some 457125's, It was just above freezing and I suddenly noticed that every time I turned the pressure wrench, the entire tube rotated because the lube had frozen itself to the pressure screw and the tube. When I got the shop warmed up, I pulled it down and cleaned everything using a heat gun and later brake cleaner. I used a leather shoe lace wrapped around the tube for grip and blue loctite on the threads. Your idea of teflon tape is good too. I didn't think of it :D

SS

LUCKYDAWG13
02-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Good luck with that. Last time I called Lyman was when the heating element burned out on my old mag 20 furnace. They would not sell me one to install insisting it be sent in for replacement. About a month later I got my furnace back with a note that the element was obsolete so they couldn't do anything for me. Another time I actually came across Lyman's main office when I was on a trip to Middlefield CT.. I stopped in hoping to pick up a part for a 450 sizer and the receptionist all but told me to go fly a kite. She had zero interest in helping me.

i see what you mean i called them a few days ago for sum help she could not help me but would have sumone give me a call back that was #3 days ago
not at all like the help i get from THOMPSON/CENTER