PDA

View Full Version : Tcr-83

Tatume
02-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Hello Folks,

While I remember this rifle when it was in production, it didn't interest me much then. Now that my tastes have gravitated to single shot rifles, I'd like to know more about it. They actually look like nice rifles; it's a shame the tooling and drawings were destroyed in a fire. Anyway, I'm considering tracking one down for myself, and would like to hear what you guys know about the rifle.

Thanks, Tom

dragonrider
02-09-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a TCR-87 Hunter Model. I like it. Have 45-70, 7.62x39, and 243 barrels so far. Finding the gun may be easier than finding barrels for it. They seem to be pretty rare.

475BH
02-09-2011, 08:59 PM
http://edstc.com/tcr.html
Eds lists some barrels

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,33.0.html
GBO has some threads on the TCR, you will have to scroll thru and find them.

quilbilly
02-10-2011, 12:14 AM
I have a TCR with two barrels, .222 rem and .338 Winmag. The triple deuce shot 3/4" groups at 100 yds right out of the box and improved as I tweaked the loads. I haven't shot the 338 much but recently decided to convert it to shooting cast boolits.
My initial results with cast boolits using the Lee 220 gr showed the boolits wouldn't stabilize at 1400 fps but were doing fine at 1600 fps. As soon as my local gunsmith finishes putting on the peep sight I will start tweaking the loads up for my final goal of 1800 fps for long range paper shooting.
Mine has the single trigger but some models have the double set trigger which I wish I had for those long range targets.
Eithe model of the TCR is a mighty fine rifle. Too bad the T/C plant burned down back then so the quit making both the TCR and the Seneca muzzleloader (which I feel was the finest classic muzzleloader ever made)

wgr
02-10-2011, 02:19 PM
at one time J.D.Jones would make a barrel for that rifle. i say he would still do it

nitroproof
02-10-2011, 06:58 PM
There are at least three rifles listed on Guns International

http://www.gunsinternational.com/

Search the catagory: Single Shot Rifles - American

rockrat
02-10-2011, 07:31 PM
I have on of the '83's. 22 Hornet, 223, 30-06 (2), 7.62 x 39 (SSK-very accurate) and 308. Might have one of the '06's rebored to 35 Whelen, it was decent barrel, but sent it off to get a new barrel installed, but instead the guy let it roll around in his trunk for a year (so I heard) and finally sent it back, undone. Bore kind of rusty now.:( Wanted a 260 Rem.

Good guns. See if you can find one with the barrels, as some are tough to find.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-13-2011, 02:09 AM
I have a three barrel set. 7RM, 30-06, and the crazy cousin 30-378Wbee. I am planning to get it rebarreled to something useful. A 38-90 would just be great for cast and big game hunting in this country. They are neat rifles. If you buy an '83, make sure it has been sent back to T/C to be re-heat treated for the Magnum cartridges. I also have a custom 12 gauge barrel with its own forend.

I ask them every year at the SHOT Show when they will bring it back. They just mumble...

Rich

gewehrfreund
02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't think the magnum conversion involved heat treating. All they did was replace the 1-piece locking lug with with a 2-piece one like the later Contenders. This allowed for more secure (uniform) lock-up and resulted in better accuracy and easier opening. You can still shoot any magnum barrel with an unconverted receiver, it just may not be all that accurate with the magnum cartridges and may be difficult to open compared with standard cartridges.

Tatume
02-24-2015, 04:51 PM
at one time J.D.Jones would make a barrel for that rifle. i say he would still do it

Yesterday I found one of these in very nice condition, with two scoped barrels (308W & 30-06), at a very nice price. I snapped it up. It is my plan to shoot the two barrels for accuracy, and then have JES rebore the less accurate barrel to 35 caliber, probably 35 Whelen. I expect that after JES rebores the barrel that it will become the more accurate of the two.

Sadly, JD Jones will no longer make barrels for this gun.

pietro
02-24-2015, 10:03 PM

The TCR-83 Aristocrat is an excellent choice for a high-quality, break-open single-shot rifle.

I've had several, over the years, but for some reason let then go on down the road.

The double-throw crossbolt safety takes a little getting used to; but it can be converted into a single-push safety with very little work.

I woke up this Winter, and grabbed a pristine example off gunbroker, in .22-250, so I can load some 60gr boolits and give some deer earaches.

I'm thinking that if that doesn't work out, I can always have it rebored to .250 Savage (like my Ruger 77 MkI).

ohland
02-24-2015, 10:40 PM
I don't think the magnum conversion involved heat treating. All they did was replace the 1-piece locking lug with with a 2-piece one like the later Contenders.

I don't own a magnum TCR, but IIRC the magnum barrels were made with a pin in the locking area that prevented a non-magnum frame from using a magnum barrel. Something about magnum barrels opening when they shouldn't, I believe.

Classic looking, though. Barrel trunnions remind me of the Ruger Red Label shotgun barrels.

ohland
02-24-2015, 10:42 PM
If you buy an '83, make sure it has been sent back to T/C

From hazy memory, original and converted mag frames are stamped "mag".

gewehrfreund
02-25-2015, 09:27 AM
I don't own a magnum TCR, but IIRC the magnum barrels were made with a pin in the locking area that prevented a non-magnum frame from using a magnum barrel. Something about magnum barrels opening when they shouldn't, I believe.

That's news to me. I've never seen a TCR barrel with a "pin", and anyway, all you have to do is remove it/cut it off.
The Contenders and Encores used a pin block set-up to prevent muzzleloader frames from being used with their rifle/pistol barrels

Tatume
02-25-2015, 09:31 AM
http://stevespages.com/pdf/thompsoncenter_tcr_deluxe.pdf

Here is a link to the T/C TCR 83 manual. It clearly illustrates the difference between the standard and magnum rifles. I would not recommend to anyone that they alter a magnum barrel to fit a standard frame. There is a reason why T/C did what they did.

gewehrfreund
02-25-2015, 09:35 AM
Yeah, liability worries by corporate lawyers. I really think this is a non-issue, but I would never want a magnum barrel for my TCR anyway.

ohland
02-25-2015, 05:34 PM
http://stevespages.com/pdf/thompsoncenter_tcr_deluxe.pdf

Here is a link to the T/C TCR 83 manual. It clearly illustrates the difference between the standard and magnum rifles. I would not recommend to anyone that they alter a magnum barrel to fit a standard frame. There is a reason why T/C did what they did.

The TCR Deluxe Models have Magnum Receivers and will accommodate magnum barrels. They can be identified by the distinguishing characteristics shown in the diagram to the right. These are:
- A stamp that shows the T/C logo and the word - MAG -.
- The locking bolt with a vertical slot in it to accommodate the barrel pin.
- The barrel with a pin that is accommodated by the vertical slot in the bolt.

Receivers marked "MAG" will accept any TCR '83 or '87 barrel. Non-magnum receivers WILL NOT accept magnum barrels.

Instructions on the Use and Care of the TCR Deluxe Single Shot Rifle, page 17. Part No. 00016855, Rev 11/7/91

gewehrfreund
02-26-2015, 10:52 AM
This all came about with the TCR87 (notice they call it the Deluxe instead of the Aristocrat).
Bottom line is there are a lot of TCR83 magnum barrels out there that will still work (and probably are being used) on both frames, so it all seems a little moot to me.

ohland
02-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Bottom line is there are a lot of TCR83 magnum barrels out there that will still work (and probably are being used) on both frames, so it all seems a little moot to me.

Moot, moot?

Without research, whether mag barrels without pins are being used on non-mag barrels, I could only assume they are. But then again, T/C never gave out the pressure/case head limits of the Contender, either. Ever see that 250/3000 Contender barrel last year? So yes, that combination most likely is useable. But what is the upper end?

I would like to know what the failure mode was on the mag barrel / non-mag frame combinations that (I assume) opened when they should not have.

Beerd
02-26-2015, 03:15 PM
I had an Aristocrat model when they were new.
The distance from the pistol grip to the trigger was a stretch for my hand.
Sold it to buy some good quality binoculars.

rking22
02-26-2015, 08:21 PM
A 308 and 06 , nice find!
I still have my Aristocrat I ordered as soon as they were released in 1983. I have 2barrels ,a Hornet and a 30-38Special with reciever sight. Traded off the 243 and 223 barrels I had while it was still in production. Wish I had not :(
Really nice rifle, kinda heavy for the "rook rifle" role, way light for me to be interested in "MAG" usage! I too would like to see them back, but have no hope it will happen. It's not interesting to the mainstream noways, too bad. Maybe if they put a plastic stock with 47 rails and ..... nevermind

gewehrfreund
02-27-2015, 09:59 AM
I had an Aristocrat model when they were new.
The distance from the pistol grip to the trigger was a stretch for my hand.
Sold it to buy some good quality binoculars.

Yep, my first was an Aristocrat and the ergonomics of the DST were pretty bad, so it went away.
I'm on my third TCR and second single trigger model; just a better rifle all around and the one I have now has FANTASTIC wood, so it will probably be with me for a long time.

A 308 and 06 , nice find!
. . . way light for me to be interested in "MAG" usage! I too would like to see them back, but have no hope it will happen. It's not interesting to the mainstream noways, too bad. Maybe if they put a plastic stock with 47 rails and ..... nevermind

I agree. Making magnum barrels for this rifle was a bad decision right from the start. Trying to be all things to all people and it just got them into trouble (or perceived trouble anyway).

I have four barrels right now, and have gone through a number of others. The only one I'd like to find is a 26" 7-08, but that seems to be a needle in haystack type of quest.

pietro
02-27-2015, 11:49 AM

Yep - While T/C made custom TCR barrels available in around 30 different chamberings, a few different barrel lengths & two different bluing/finishes through their custom shop (Fox Ridge Outfitters), and FRO closed along with the S&W purchase of T/C, if someone had one custom-made & was willing to part with it would be the only avenue available, outside of making one yourself by stubbing an unwanted barrel for whatever barrel/chambering is wanted.

rking22
02-27-2015, 04:41 PM
The 30 special barrell I have used to be a 243 with headspace issues, it still cost me near 200$ to get the monoblock! The one I want is the 32-40 , can kick myself for not getting one when they were cataloged. I wish some one would CNC monoblocks for them, anybody listening :)

Tatume
02-27-2015, 05:24 PM
How are the barrels installed in the blocks? Are they threaded?

rking22
02-27-2015, 06:41 PM
They are pressed in and cross pinned with 2 pins. I think they have lock tight as well, was a tough press to seperate.

Frank46
03-02-2015, 01:11 AM
Met a gent one time at a state gun range in Pa. I was shooting a garand and he a TC in 32-40. Think it had the double set triggers. Of course he was using cast boolits and we swapped rifles and shot them for a couple minutes. Always wanted one but never could find one like he had. Frank

pietro
03-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Met a gent one time at a state gun range in Pa. I was shooting a garand and he a TC in 32-40. Think it had the double set triggers. Of course he was using cast boolits and we swapped rifles and shot them for a couple minutes. Always wanted one but never could find one like he had. Frank

The reason you couldn't find one is that the .32-40 TCR chambering was uncatalogued - the .32-40 barrel was a Custom Shop ( Fox River Outfitters) accessory.

As I posted earlier, FRO once listed TCR barrels in a couple of different lengths, for about 30 additional (to the cataloged chamberings) cartridges, and with either a high-polished blue, or matte blued finishes.

gewehrfreund
03-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Pretty sure 32-40 was a catalog item, for at least a few years. I have a 32-40 barrel that has factory stamping (not Fox Ridge, Custom Shop, etc.) and recall seeing it the catalog and thinking it would be cool to have one day.