PDA

View Full Version : .444 ,300 grain load Handi Rifle

Papa Jack
02-09-2011, 07:46 PM
I have a bag of Lazer Cast 300 grain .429 boolits, just a sample bag I guess, picked em up on a junk table at a gun shop.
So I noticed a thread on this Forum with pictures of an undersize boolit that was pressed between two files and "Knurled", then sized and loaded...
What a great idea !! I thought I would try this with these boolits , so I did , and they looked really good, before I sized em I smeared Speed Green on the knurl and pushed em thru the Lee/RD .432" sizer.
They came out looking good and I added a little more speed green for good measure as these boolits only have one lube groove .
I loaded these with a .500" seating depth over 45.0 grains of RL-12 which is real close to the bottom of the boolit base, CCI-200 primer. No fillers or wads.
Now I have to wait til my receiver comes back from the factory, I'm getting two new barrels fitted....
Just wondering if anyone has loaded these boolits ??? I tried to wrap them with Teflon tape, as I have used it before on 45-70's and my Black Powder rifle.
I did that before I knurled them, and they didn't look like they sized real evenly, only used one wrap, but the overlap didn't look good.
I think next time I will knurl them first, then wrap em and size em...
Can't wait to try these out, I hate having boolits I can't use, thought it would be better to blow em out the end of the barrel than remelt em...... PJ

bigted
02-10-2011, 06:31 AM
sounds good jack...cant wait to hear how your 300's do at the range. i loaded some 300's in my 444 marlin but had to shorten some brass so they would run thru the action...never did try for accuracy with these so one of these days ill have to turn back and load some to try for accuracy n see what they are capable of...keep us informed on your 444 project.

Papa Jack
02-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I have other boolits that are a little undersize, I'm going to try the "knurl" job on those too and see how it works.
gives em a good surface to hold lube, I kicked around using Lee Liquid Alox, but decided to use the Speed Green instead.
I think I'll load some .44 Magnums up with the same boolits, see how they shoot...PJ

dualsport
02-11-2011, 04:10 AM
If that doesn't work out try the big Lee 310 gr. job. The mold is inexpensive too. Mine drop at .431 and they shoot well in my H&R. Kicks hard though.

mroliver77
02-17-2011, 12:33 AM
I have a Winchester made mold for the 38-55 that drops boolits a couple thou too small for my 1893 Marlin. I love this boolit and mold. The cavities are very clean , smooth and stlii blued. I hate to lap it out and ruin the blue. Anyhow I have been shooting them at full power ( 1890's full power) with grits for filler. I use 4895 as it is a slower powder for this round and worked up to the velocity wanted. There is not a speck of lead in the barrel and it is very accurate.
I have the Lyman 321427 mold that drops boolits .3225. I have no .32 but have 8mm Mauser. I have shot this boolit using a wax cookie from CF Ventures wax sheets under the boolit. This boolit is undersized for the 8mm but the wax seals off the gases from damaging the boolit and for up to midrange loads this has worked well.
I thought a couple more ideas might help you.
I have never used the file trick but might try with a hoof file as it is very coarse. It might not be too hard to make somrthing up utilising the knurl tool from my lathe.
Jay

tdoor4570
02-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I have a Winchester made mold for the 38-55 that drops boolits a couple thou too small for my 1893 Marlin. I love this boolit and mold. The cavities are very clean , smooth and stlii blued. I hate to lap it out and ruin the blue. Anyhow I have been shooting them at full power ( 1890's full power) with grits for filler. I use 4895 as it is a slower powder for this round and worked up to the velocity wanted. There is not a speck of lead in the barrel and it is very accurate.
I have the Lyman 321427 mold that drops boolits .3225. I have no .32 but have 8mm Mauser. I have shot this boolit using a wax cookie from CF Ventures wax sheets under the boolit. This boolit is undersized for the 8mm but the wax seals off the gases from damaging the boolit and for up to midrange loads this has worked well.
I have never used the file trick but might try with a hoof file as it is very coarse. It might not be too hard to make somrthing up utilising the knurl tool from my lathe.
Jay

a good use for GRITS they are not fit to eat:p

Papa Jack
02-19-2011, 04:02 AM
Jay
The two files I used didn't match, I have a ton of files and I just have to pick two out that match and use em. It's really quick,lay the boolit on the file and press the other file on top and roll it....takes just one roll.
I think if I get time I may do a picture take and post the pics. I kinda hate to because another member here started the idea on another post.
Pictures are worth a try, might help others....
Another thing I'd like to see is a little experiment on using Teflon tape, it looks promising , I use in in my B/P muzzle loader....
I thought about the wax washer too, I have a bunch of home made lube that I could pour and cut out some wax discs....I've stuck them to the base of boolits before ,using Lee LA.... "PJ"