PDA

View Full Version : can anyone explain this? 358495

snowman
11-13-2006, 09:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/jrunyan02/P1000410.jpg

I am confused by the refractory material. It seems like a paper clay or something.

Was this factory, or something added by someone? It casts good boolits...I just hadn't seen that before. It's a Lyman mold.

GP100man
11-13-2006, 09:50 PM
snowman

is it possible that some one milled out material so mold heats up qwiker?

mooman76
11-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Looks like someone added something we like to call beagaling. It is to gain a fe thousands on the bullet. We usually use aluminum tape.

snowman
11-13-2006, 11:26 PM
It's flush with the inside of the mold...so it's not expanding the diameter of the cast boolit. It may have been a modification that the guy added, but it would surprise me...as it seems to be well done (and most of his stuff was hacked together)

I was just curious if it was a factory modification or something. Is anyone interested in it?

Texasflyboy
11-16-2006, 12:07 PM
My guess, and its merely a guess is that its a modification to adapt the mold to an automatic casting setup, probably a homemade one at that.

I would bet that if you removed the refractory material that there are mounting scratches on on the inside of the blocks.

I've seen modifications like this on other Lyman two cavity molds, and its always on two cavity molds, never one or four cavity molds, which makes me think folks were fiddling with homemade casting machinery.

trk
11-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Two reasons I can think of - one, to lighten the mould; two, to reduce the mass (keeps heat) to make cooling more nearly the same at top and bottom of the mould.

2 GUESSES.

Buckshot
11-19-2006, 02:54 AM
Two reasons I can think of - one, to lighten the mould; two, to reduce the mass (keeps heat) to make cooling more nearly the same at top and bottom of the mould.

2 GUESSES.

I'm with TRK on this one. If a setup for a casting machine, why fill the milled out portion with somehting?

...............Buckshot

floodgate
11-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Buckshot:

MY guess - FWIW - is that the intent was to slow down heat loss from the botttom of the mould, most likely for one of the automatic casting mchines.

floodgate

Buckshot
11-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Buckshot:

MY guess - FWIW - is that the intent was to slow down heat loss from the botttom of the mould, most likely for one of the automatic casting mchines.

floodgate

Ah! Okay, I htought the milled out portion was so it would fit in some fixture or something.

................Buckshot