PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Will lead with more Tin drop out of a mould better

graydog
02-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi
Will bullets cast from lead with more tin added drop out of the mould easier then bullets cast with straight wheel weights? Or does it matter? Any help on this will be much appreciated. Also what makes the bullets come out of the mould the best?

Thanks Graydog

stubshaft
02-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Tin will help with proper fill out and sharpen the corners of the grooves. Check the mould for burrs, pits or other defects. Try Leementing it with toothpaste to smooth out the cavities (even if it is not a Lee mould). Some people will recommend smoking the cavities but I haven't found that to be conducive or needed. If it is a new mould it may take a couple of sessions to break it in.

dragonrider
02-09-2011, 07:15 PM
This may help.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=654

onondaga
02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
No. Tin won't change your mold. Leementing will. When you get your mold fixed there is something in casting technique that does aid in bullet release if all else is good. After cutting the sprue, keep mold closed for 10 more seconds before opening. This will allow time for dimensional change in your alloy and mold will open easier and drop better. If you can fit those extra 10 seconds in your casting cadence and maintain good mold temp for good quality castings, that is nice but sometimes that is too much and affects mold temp too much.

Gary

PacMan
02-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Some molds no matter who cut it somtimes get a little burs on the edge where the halves meet or maybe on the base of the bullet.I have taken 600 grit sand paper and lightly hit those areas a few times,never enough to change the cavity shape,and done wonders.It is amazing what little it takes to stop the bullet from falling out easily.

02-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Graydog,
In addition to the above advise, read the "Kroil" sticky. It works for many, myself included.

Alchemist
02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
No. Tin won't change your mold. Leementing will. When you get your mold fixed there is something in casting technique that does aid in bullet release if all else is good. After cutting the sprue, keep mold closed for 10 more seconds before opening. This will allow time for dimensional change in your alloy and mold will open easier and drop better. If you can fit those extra 10 seconds in your casting cadence and maintain good mold temp for good quality castings, that is nice but sometimes that is too much and affects mold temp too much.

Gary

I would agree with this if you are using iron moulds. When I ladle cast I use two moulds and alternate them back and forth. It may be slower, but the mould temp stays more even and the boolit quality is excellent. I haven't tried this method (yet) with aluminum moulds, but I will be trying it in the near future with a couple of new NOE beauties...

Lee 6 bangers seem to work best for me with a bottom pour pot and doing the sprue cooling routine on the damp towel.