PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Grapite in thier homemade lube

brstevns
02-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Was wondering if anyone uses Graphite in their lube and if it seemed to help or hurt?

Jim
02-09-2011, 01:12 PM
I use it mixed with white lithium grease as a tumble lube. It's black and messy and you MUST wipe the lube off the bottom of the boolit as it will pollute and inert the powder. That's way more trouble than it's worth for most, but I'm retired and have all the time in the world.

870TC
02-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Pope used a type of graphite in his famous lube, he also complained about it separating while the lube cooled.

Jim
02-09-2011, 01:41 PM
If the graphite is fine enough(300 mesh or less) and the carrier is thick enough, it will remain in suspension. Otherwise, as Mr. Pope discovered, it will precipitate.

jhalcott
02-09-2011, 03:00 PM
I have in the past, but since I started using Felix's lube I have eliminated it. It does seem to help at the higher velocities. The lube was a mix of STP canning wax and 1 tablespoon of plumbago( graphite). The exact amount of graphite was not to important. I did use this lube on rifle bullets even though it was supposed to be for handgun bullets. The guy I got it from used it on .38 thru .44 mag bullets.

brstevns
02-09-2011, 06:12 PM
I was thinking about maybe tumbling with it after applying Lee Alox? or maybe using it as a rub on Paper patched bullets?

Armorer
02-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I mixed some in with 50/50 Beeswax/JPW and truthfully all it did was make a mess. Had to stir it til the mixture was nearly solidified just to keep it suspended in the lube. Not even remotely worth the effort in my estimation.

My ¢2
Armorer

Jim
02-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Like a leaking ink pen, it will get on everything. I modified the jaws of a pair of hemostats to the shape of the jaws of slip joint pliers and handle the boolits with that. Otherwise, it will follow you out of your loading room and haunt you.
Graphite works, you simply have to decide if the trouble of using it is worth the effort. Most think it is not.

excess650
02-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I was thinking about maybe tumbling with it after applying Lee Alox? or maybe using it as a rub on Paper patched bullets?

You might want try motor mica on LLA instead. It will make the LLA less tacky and may enhance accuracy.

As for PPB, dip them in melted beeswax, or highly beeswax lube to waterproof the PP and provide a little lubrication.

shotman
02-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Use moly I put 2 teaspoons in a bottle of lee and heat in HOT water. Hot tap is fine onec its in there it will stay mixed. Guy on feebay sells it. If you heat the lube when you tumble them and let dry the moly is not sticky and dont rub off. Charie sometimes saw mine

DragoonDrake
02-12-2011, 10:40 AM
not trying to thread jack, but where do you buy motor mica or powdered graphite?

scb
02-12-2011, 11:20 AM
not trying to thread jack, but where do you buy motor mica or powdered graphite?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#graphite-lubricants/=b0351r

Both graphite and mica on this page.

1Shirt
02-12-2011, 11:53 AM
I used graphite for many years until I could afford commercial lubes that were better.
I mixed 1/2 beeswax, 1/2 vasoline (about a cup each) and a heaping teaspoon full of graphite. Yes it was messy, and if you didn't stur it, it would seperate as it cooled. Found the best way was to stur it, and pour it on a flat surface to about a quarter inch thick (a piece of cool glass worked well). When it hardened, it could be cut into strips, that would go into the 45 Lyman. Also worked for cake cutting, which of course works, but is messy as h***, and I did it until I could afford a 45. (this predated Lee and push thru dies). It worked fine for handgun blts. For rifle, I went a bit more heavy of the beeswax. Had a free source of beeswax, vasoline, and graphite at the time.
Now use White Lable lube Canuba Red on just about everything. Any how, good luck!
1Shirt!:coffee:

excess650
02-12-2011, 12:47 PM

I bought motor mica from Midway.

Recluse
02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
I mixed some in with 50/50 Beeswax/JPW and truthfully all it did was make a mess. Had to stir it til the mixture was nearly solidified just to keep it suspended in the lube. Not even remotely worth the effort in my estimation.

My ¢2
Armorer

I experimented with some lube formulas using graphite and it was a gawdawful mess. It would not stay mixed/suspended in the lube and I saw absolutely zero benefit from it.

I even tried adding some permatex into some lube formulas and could not keep THAT suspended.

Bottom line? A whole lotta work and frustration for absolutely zero gain.

:coffee: