PDA

View Full Version : lee-45acp 6 cavity

arjacobson
02-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Had to cast some 45's over the weekend and tried out my new lee 452 -2r 6 cavity mold.. I had my reservations about a 6 cavity mold but I have to say it actually worked better than my 2 cavity molds. I just shook the mold a bit and they all fell out.. I cannot believe how many boolits I can make in such a short time! Only problem is NOW I'm looking at a larger melting pot as my little 10lb just won't keep up.......guess the quest continues.......look at the money I am saving though!! :bigsmyl2:

jmsj
02-08-2011, 11:15 PM
.......guess the quest continues.......look at the money I am saving though!!
HA HA HA, Me too, HA HA!!
All my spare spending money goes to buying molds and casting gear. This casting is so addictive that I have taken up casting slugs and thinking about building a shot maker

Artful
02-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Yes the Lee molds are underrated generally and wait till you buy your first NOE multicavity mold.

arjacobson
02-09-2011, 06:11 PM
.......guess the quest continues.......look at the money I am saving though!!
HA HA HA, Me too, HA HA!!
All my spare spending money goes to buying molds and casting gear. This casting is so addictive that I have taken up casting slugs and thinking about building a shot maker

I was seriously thinking about buying a mold to make slingshot ammo.....it is a sickness[smilie=l:

rockrat
02-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Lee is coming out with a OO buckshot mould IIRC. That should work in your slingshot:)

Enablers--us, don't know what your are talking about???

arjacobson
02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Oh Man now i gotta get another slingshot-mold-extra bands for the slingshot..Bet I still cannot shoot one very well........BUT I COULD have tons of practice ammo for it!!:groner:

zuke
02-10-2011, 01:28 PM
On my first LEE casting session with a 6 cavity I casted up 28 1/2 lbs of their TL452-230-TC . I was bragging when someone mentioned if I had 2 of them I could fill one,set it aside to cool and open the second.Fill it,set it aside and empty the first and fill it again in a never ending pattern.
I had a LEE 10lb pot but had bought a LEE Pro 4-20 and I can tell you it emptied pretty quick!
What I do now is load both pot's and plug in the 20 and after it's molten and I'm getting ready to start casting I'll plug in the 10lb pot.
When the 20 get's low the 10 is liquid lead so I just pour the lead from the 10 to the 20 to keep it topped off and refill the 10 with mu sprue then a coulpe ingot's.

Boolseye
02-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Ain't they sweet? Love my 6 cavs!

arjacobson
02-12-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm actually looking to get a few more. They work alot better than expected!

HeavyMetal
02-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Here's a tip for ya: buy a Lee 20 Pound pot and then mount the 10 pounder you currently have above it.

The idea is to use it as a pre melter letting you more easily keep the 20 pounder full while bringing fresh ingots up to speed above it.

Then simply open the valve when needed to replenish the 20 pound pot and refill the other with fresh ingots!

This is the only "inexpensive" way to keep up with one or more 6 banger Lee's!

GP100man
02-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Second time casting with a 6banger , I agree whole heartedly with ya brother!!!!

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0525.jpg

finattic
02-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Ok gentlemen let me aks this question i am ready to place an order to purchase a lee 6 cavity .45 mold 200 grain round flat point, this boolit shoots well in my 625 and makes reloading on the move alot easier than the semi My question is how do you determine which top punch you need for a lyman 450. Lyman molds are different according to the pictures and since i have only been casting about 1 month i just dont know which one to get. Thanks for any advise you have

Alan

arjacobson
02-13-2011, 09:19 PM
I just make custom top punches on the lathe for whatever bullet I am casting for. Can anyone help this forum member??

HeavyMetal
02-13-2011, 09:35 PM
finattic:
Lots of people here can make you a top punch, try lathesmith as a start.

However you brought up the fact you are reloading on the run. This leads me to belive that you are particapatining in one of the shooting games like IDPA.

If this is the case and your planning on shooting enough to get good at it then a Star should be in your game plan!

The 450 isn't a bad sizer but once you use a Star you'll kick yourself in places you didn't know you had for not making that move a lot sooner.

Two big advantages to the Star: nose first sizing means one flat punch and having them go straight through and come out the bottom means a 5 fold increase in production.

No matter what mold you go with the Star is a must have if you want to compete.

finattic
02-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Heavy metal you are right i am shooting ipda sorry i left that part out. Since i have a daughter in college that star is a bit out of my range right now but i really appreciate the advise.

fredj338
02-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Yes, if you get a good one, they are much nicer to use than the poor 2cav design. I have written them requesting the same design on a 4cav, but no dice.
A 20# pot is a must for 6cav molds. I just feed mine ingots when it gets down 1/4, never slows me down. It eats a 3# ingot like it was melting butter.

arjacobson
02-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Here's a tip for ya: buy a Lee 20 Pound pot and then mount the 10 pounder you currently have above it.

The idea is to use it as a pre melter letting you more easily keep the 20 pounder full while bringing fresh ingots up to speed above it.

Then simply open the valve when needed to replenish the 20 pound pot and refill the other with fresh ingots!

This is the only "inexpensive" way to keep up with one or more 6 banger Lee's!

I might just have to try this.. A 10 pound pot doesn't last long at all!!!

skeet1
02-14-2011, 08:29 PM
finattic,

Because the bullet you are wanting to cast is a flat point it is easy, just use any large flat top punch and you are in business.

Ken

lesharris
02-14-2011, 09:02 PM
You can click on castpics on the bottom of this page and reference the correct Lyman top punch from the left menu listed as top punch reference. click on that and bullet types like lee,rcbs, and Lyman will come up.

theperfessor
02-14-2011, 09:30 PM
I make up blank nose punches in different diameters that have a shallow cup at the front. When I need to make a special nose punch I just put in the right sizing die and a blank nose punch in my Lyman 450. Stand the bullet straight up in the die, grease the nose of it, and put a little dab of JB Weld in the cup. Bring the nose punch down on the bullet and wipe off any excess JB Weld that oozes out. Let it set and your good to go for a long time.

Other folks have reported using hot melt glue instead of JB Weld but I haven't tried that.

At one point one of the members here was running up a bunch of nose punch blanks and selling them here but I don't remember who it was. That's where I got the idea.