PDA

View Full Version : 80 Grain 30 Carbine Loads

eyehawk
02-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Is it wise to load 80 grain cast boolits in a Ruger six gun chambered for 30 carbine.

I am looking for a use for the 80 grain boolits and thought it would make a good round for plinking.

I am thinking of 3 grains of Bullseye as a starting load.

Your input please.

Thanks
Eyehawk

9.3X62AL
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Welcome aboard, Eyehawk!

The Blackhawk in 30 Carbine is one of the more intriguing mid-caliber revolvers available currently. I had one for a time, and regret the STUPID wheeling & dealing arrangement that resulted in its departure. It's one of the few mid-caliber revolvers I've let go down the road, and I won't re-make THAT mistake again. One of these is on my Short List to acquire, 'cause I have a bunch of 30 Carbine ammo--components--and tooling sitting around waiting for me to do something about their idle shiftlessness.

If the dimensions are all in order with the revolver--and the boolits are similarly sized--I see no reason why the combination wouldn't work at least decently. I suspect from my somewhat brief exposure to the 30Hawk's manners that its sights were intended/predicated on the use of milsurp 30 Carbine ammo, which ran 110 grain FMJRN about 1400 FPS and announced their departure quite loudly. Toning down the revolver's bark with moderated cast boolit handloads is a goal worthy of pursuit, in and of itself. Some sight adjustments or amendments might be indicated, but I didn't pursue the subject with my example. I will in the future, for certain.

Mavrick
02-13-2011, 09:27 AM
I run as much cast through my RBH 4 5/8" as I can. I seldom use j-word, tho' sometimes I try to "prove a point" with a handful.
I've used an RCBS .32ACP mold that throws an 88grRN that I size to .312 the most. I usually use WW+2.
4.0gr Bullseye will send it out without too much noise.
I also use a Lee 100gr RNGC cast from Linotype, but I send it out pretty fast...usually with AA#9, or A2400.
Have fun,
Gene