PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 99AF 9mm Luger

Wally
02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
I shoot this model using medium loads and cast bullets in the 110 ~ 155 grain range using HP-38, Red Dot, or Bullseye. When I do the cases often eject straight up rather than to the side...which is where they eject when I use factory/jacketed loads. If I use a different tension spring will this change the ejection angle for me? BTW I have a 101AF which is identical to the 99AF, but it is the .40 S & W Caliber...with medium cast bullets the cases eject to the side as they should.

9.3X62AL
02-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Is your ejector unbroken? It sounds like your extracted case is being "influenced" more by the live round's contour in the magazine than by the ejector's action.

Wally
02-08-2011, 05:15 PM
The ejector is just fine...as it works beautifully with std factory loads and looks the same as the ejector on the 101AF.

Is your ejector unbroken? It sounds like your extracted case is being "influenced" more by the live round's contour in the magazine than by the ejector's action.

MtGun44
02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
When a case is ejected straight up - STOP. Unload and carefully look as the round
comes out of the chamber - maybe even marking it for index of position.

I would be looking for a whack on the shoulder of the case or more likely, the shoulder
of a SWC boolit. It may be using the boolit shoulder of the next up round as an ejector!

Bill

Wally
02-09-2011, 11:24 AM
I have done so...no marks on the case or shoulder--I usually use RN or the Lyman TC cast bullets....I have used the Lee 105 SWC which has a large shoulder--makes no difference.

When a case is ejected straight up - STOP. Unload and carefully look as the round
comes out of the chamber - maybe even marking it for index of position.

I would be looking for a whack on the shoulder of the case or more likely, the shoulder
of a SWC boolit. It may be using the boolit shoulder of the next up round as an ejector!

Bill

MtGun44
02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
OK, no dice. How closely have you examined the extractor hook? Possibly
worn unevenly?

Bill

9.3X62AL
02-09-2011, 08:23 PM
If the extraction and ejection are sufficiently vigorous to clear the slide and enable reliable feeding of subsequent rounds, I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about ejection direction. Of course, hot brass going down a shirt-front is not a good thing either. How well does the pistol run, generally speaking?

fecmech
02-09-2011, 08:50 PM
It may just be due to the fact that your cast "medium" loads are not exiting as vigorously as the factory loads therefore taking a different arc.

Wally
02-10-2011, 01:22 PM
It looks good--same as on my little used Taurus 100AF...

OK, no dice. How closely have you examined the extractor hook? Possibly
worn unevenly?

Bill

Wally
02-10-2011, 01:26 PM
The brass can hit me in the face and in the head and is most annoying...sadly I am a left handed shooter which makes the situation even worse. It shoots just fine and very seldom jams or misfeeds... If I could I'd like to set it up so that I could shoot it without it auto loading the next round--IOW so teh action doesn't cycle at all.

QUOTE=9.3X62AL;1155912]If the extraction and ejection are sufficiently vigorous to clear the slide and enable reliable feeding of subsequent rounds, I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about ejection direction. Of course, hot brass going down a shirt-front is not a good thing either. How well does the pistol run, generally speaking?[/QUOTE]

Wally
02-10-2011, 01:27 PM
No doubt about that---but using "hotter" loads are less accurate and they lead up the barrel---and I size them to .358"...

It may just be due to the fact that your cast "medium" loads are not exiting as vigorously as the factory loads therefore taking a different arc.

MtGun44
02-10-2011, 05:26 PM
What powder, qty, boolit design and lube?

Bill

Wally
02-10-2011, 05:37 PM
4.0 of Red Dot or Bullseye....Lee 102 RN sized to .358...alox lube

4.0 HP-38...Lyman 125 RC sized to .358...alox lubed

4.0 HP-38....Lyman 120 RN sized to .358...alox lubed

What powder, qty, boolit design and lube?

Bill

fecmech
02-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I would suggest if you want to go faster with accuracy water drop the bullets if you aren't already and use a slower powder such as Blue Dot, Hodgdon Longshot, or something in that burn range.