PDA

View Full Version : PAKIT Cartridge Reloader

John F. Lang
11-13-2006, 07:36 AM
When Pacific was still in the business of making pistol and rifle dies and other reloading equipment, they made a tool called a PAKIT.

The Pakit was a hand-held resizeing tool that reloaded a single cartridge from start to finish in about one minute.

Does anyone know where I might locate one of these tools or get on the track of one?

It is my understanding that Hornady bought Pacific out since both companys are(were?) in Nebraska. Hornady in Grand Island and Pacific was in Lincoln.

I have not contacted anyone at Hornady regarding information, etc.

Thought I would throw this out to you guys first.

John

Bret4207
11-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Was this the one with the 2 handles you pushed down on? I'd look through older copies of Handloaders Digest or Handloader magazine and find out who made them for sure. If no luck with the manufactuer, then I'd watch Ebay, Auction Arms, etc, place a wanted ad in Handloader/Rifle/ASSRA mag/ CBA mag/etc. Place wanted ads in every reloading website you can find. Chances are you'll find a dozen with a month.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was a neat design. I wanted one for on range loading. Nowadays I'd just buy that cheapest little Lee job and use the collet dies. I may get a couple of the $22.00 Lee presses ( or what ever they cost on sale) and set them up for dedicated flaring/decapping/ Ram Priming. I hate screwing dies in and out. Thats why I bought the Co-Ax, but I'm still trying to resolve a few issues between me and Mr. Co-Ax.

utk
11-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Huntingtons sell a handheld reloading press. It's got two handles, on either side of two guiderods for she shellholder block. The die is screwed in the top block. I think they call it a W-design. You need both hands so you would like a third hand to seat a bullet. In my opinion, a bit impractical. I've got one but not used it for more than a try-out.

There are at least two other makes of compact easy-to-bring-along presses besides the Lee, one of which can be hand-held.

http://www.meachamrifles.com

http://benchrest.com/hoodpress/

Urban

floodgate
11-13-2006, 01:38 PM
John:

I have a couple; see PM.

floodgate

John F. Lang
11-14-2006, 04:30 AM
Tpr Bret : UTK,

Thanks for your replies.

The tool that both of you are thinking of is, I believe, the H.D.S. Compac produced by RCBS (Huntington) in Oroville, CA.

I have one of those and it does work like a"W" when you pull the handles down. I have loaded with it but I am always looking for something "handier" as I do backpack a lot with my 30/30 in the Gila wilderness.

I think Floodgate may have what I need depending on the caliber he may have.

Thanks again for all the replies.

John Lang

joeb33050
11-14-2006, 06:50 AM
I've got the Huntingdon W press, it works great, it's got a steel plate thing so a c clamp hooks it to the bench. I can FL size about anything with it.
If you need something smalloer, why not the Lee Loader-they work fine for me when I neck size only.
I think the PAK TOOL was made by a person who advertised it in the Rifleman for years, at least in the 50s and 60s.
joe b.

Bret4207
11-14-2006, 08:29 AM
I shoulda' known Ol' Flood would have AT LEAST a couple lying around!

trooperdan
11-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Tpr Bret : UTK,

I have one of those and it does work like a"W" when you pull the handles down. I have loaded with it but I am always looking for something "handier" as I do backpack a lot with my 30/30 in the Gila wilderness.

John Lang

Hey John,

The Lee hand-held is pretty light, the moden equivalent of the old Lyman 310, only much better!

You mentioned the Gila, I used to backpack in the Gila as well when I was stationed at FT Bliss. Back in the 60's there were so few people you could imagine it was 1865 instead of 1965. I packed the west fork of the Gila a couple of times then, visited Ruidoso, Silver City, all were little cow-towns back then!

floodgate
11-14-2006, 01:44 PM
John, Joe:

The W. H. English PAK-TOOL was a different tool from the Pacific PAKIT. It was shipped in a long cylindrical tube. I've forgotten how they operated, but it was quite a different mechanism; the Pacific screws in and out with a T-handle at one end and a big, knurled plate at the other. I've missed a couple of the PAK-TOOLs on eBay and elsewhere, but am no longer interested in these; the Ideal tong tools have me "hooked", and offer a never-ending range of variations. They work just fine, too.

floodgate

blugras hunter
03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
I have 3 sets of the Pakit hand held reloading dies, the are great for backpacking. They do take a little to get use to but seem to work great. Are you looking for a certain cal.

LUBEDUDE
03-24-2012, 10:24 PM
I see the Pakit on ebay quite a bit, however it is only in 410. It may be the same unit getting relisted.
I have yet to see any other calibers listed.