PDA

View Full Version : Potential source

Jal5
02-08-2011, 11:34 AM
After my regular dentist visit today I asked about lead foils from his xrays and found out he has just been throwing them away! He promised to save them for me and call when he has some. His brother in law, another dentist is in the office right next door and he is an acquaintance of mine so my dentist said he would ask him to hold them too for me. Between them both they see a lot of patients.

We will see how this works out, but you never know unless you ask.

Joe

Alchemist
02-08-2011, 08:37 PM
I asked at my dentist's office about 2 years ago. They are using digital x-rays. I suspect it's just a matter of time until all x-rays go digital.

bigjake
02-09-2011, 10:37 AM
After my regular dentist visit today I asked about lead foils from his xrays and found out he has just been throwing them away! He promised to save them for me and call when he has some. His brother in law, another dentist is in the office right next door and he is an acquaintance of mine so my dentist said he would ask him to hold them too for me. Between them both they see a lot of patients.

We will see how this works out, but you never know unless you ask.

Joe

Are they pure lead?

Jal5
02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
should be pretty close to pure based on what others have reported here. some I will use for ML but the majority will get alloyed with other metal I think.

Joe

Flip
02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I work in the dental field repairing equipment and the lead foil backers you are refering to are pure lead. I have melted down hundreds of pounds of the stuff in the past. They melt clean with very little slag unless you get a piece of paper in with them.

Sad to say but most offices are going digital. The younger dentists coming out of school are not even using film based x-rays and going straight to digital.

zomby woof
02-11-2011, 06:18 PM
The lead they use is Lead >96%, Tin 1.5% +/- 0.1%, Antimony 1.5% +/- 0.1%.

Jal5
02-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks Zomby that was helpful.

Joe

a.squibload
02-12-2011, 01:32 PM
My dentist was busy, I asked one of the assistants, she never called.
I'll ask him next time, seems like a good guy.

Jal5
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Not quite a month ago I asked my dentist for lead foils from his xrays. Today my wife went in for some dental work and came home with a small bag of foils. If I can get that much per month this could be great.

Joe

idahoron
03-03-2011, 11:46 AM
I have been getting the lead foil for several years. Every time I have tested it I get the same reading on the cabine tree. They are the same hardness as clip on wheel weight. About 12 to 13 BHN. Ron

mold maker
03-03-2011, 12:01 PM
6 dentist in the bldg where the family goes. I went to each about a year ago and they all saved the foil for me. The second time I went to pick it up, all 6 said it would be the last. Darn digital technology.

Jal5
03-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I have been getting the lead foil for several years. Every time I have tested it I get the same reading on the cabine tree. They are the same hardness as clip on wheel weight. About 12 to 13 BHN. Ron

I am surprised. Would have thought foil was softer than that. Good to know.

Joe

John Boy
03-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Are they pure lead?
Some foils are and others are not. My daughter in CA is a dental hygienist and sends me 50 - 100 lbs each year from several dental practices. Several years back, they tested Bhn 5. Now, the foils are testing in the range of 1:30 to 1:20 alloy. The latest 19 lbs (aged) tested out @ Bhn 7.4

The standard composition of XRay lead foils will vary ...
* Pb: basis 99,5 - 99,999%
* Sn: 0,00 to 6% see solder foils
* Sb: 0,00 to 4%
* Further alloy elements are Ag, Cu.