PDA

View Full Version : Choreboy copper scrubber + me = ....

steve in kc
02-08-2011, 09:44 AM
:-P

I've been looking for one for a looooooooong time but could never find one, until I looked at the cast boolit mecca (Dollar General Store) and low and behold...a TWO PACK for $1.75??

I had some leading in my .45acp and it cleaned it RIGHT OUT in about 5 passes when wrapped around a brush!!

I used to get terrible leading all the way through my bbl, which was hard to diagnose because it is only 3.5" long (Taurus 24/7 Pro C DS). I got my lube figured out since I was able to reduce leading to the first 1.5-1.75" of my bbl.

My bbl slugs at .4515 and my boolits drop from my two molds at .452 and .453 respectively.

However, I'm shooting straight WW for now and I belive that with my load (4.5-5gr Red Dot) was not the right load for the assumed BH of 14. I will be making some 50/50 and 3:1 (pure to ww) alloy this weekend when it gets to 48F this weekend and will be casting up some new softer boolits. I think I might just have my problem licked!

wallenba
02-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Put a magnet on it to see if it is just copper plated. That's the only kind I've been able to find lately. Probably won't hurt though.

alamogunr
02-08-2011, 11:17 AM
The Chore Boy brand is copper. Most all others I find are the copper plated steel. I even bought some before I found a magnet strong enough to give a positive reaction. The magnet on the end of a giveaway screwdriver isn't strong enough to cause the steel in the scrubber to react.

John
W.TN

pistolman44
02-08-2011, 01:05 PM
That is what I use to get the lead out + Ed's Red. They are getting scarce on the store shelfs here. I going to check a Dollar General store so I can stock up on a few. I also just found 3 cans of JPW at an old grocery store. Bought all 3 cans. Asked the manager if he would be getting any more in and told me that the 3 cans that I bought were on the shelf for the last 2 yrs.

Cadillo
02-08-2011, 01:38 PM
That is what I use to get the lead out + Ed's Red. They are getting scarce on the store shelfs here. I going to check a Dollar General store so I can stock up on a few. I also just found 3 cans of JPW at an old grocery store. Bought all 3 cans. Asked the manager if he would be getting any more in and told me that the 3 cans that I bought were on the shelf for the last 2 yrs.

JPW???

Another addition to the ignore list.

Wally
02-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Steve,

I have the same problem and find it best to clean the lead fouling after so many shots. I use a square inch of aluminum flyscreen that you push through the barrel with a jag tip and a piece of cloth. Works better than a Lewis lead remover and is much faster. Some take exception to using aluminum fearing aluminum oxide & scratching. I use new aluminum fly sceren that is bright and shiny..it has a coating on it to keep it that way and so it doesn't scratch. The patch should be tight to work best--a few passes and the barrel will quickly be clean. I have used the Choreboy method--it works too, but the strands quickly shred away and I find my method to be faster and easier.

:-P

I've been looking for one for a looooooooong time but could never find one, until I looked at the cast boolit mecca (Dollar General Store) and low and behold...a TWO PACK for $1.75??

I had some leading in my .45acp and it cleaned it RIGHT OUT in about 5 passes when wrapped around a brush!!

I used to get terrible leading all the way through my bbl, which was hard to diagnose because it is only 3.5" long (Taurus 24/7 Pro C DS). I got my lube figured out since I was able to reduce leading to the first 1.5-1.75" of my bbl.

My bbl slugs at .4515 and my boolits drop from my two molds at .452 and .453 respectively.

However, I'm shooting straight WW for now and I belive that with my load (4.5-5gr Red Dot) was not the right load for the assumed BH of 14. I will be making some 50/50 and 3:1 (pure to ww) alloy this weekend when it gets to 48F this weekend and will be casting up some new softer boolits. I think I might just have my problem licked!

theperfessor
02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
JPW = Johnson's Paste Wax

Skipper488
02-08-2011, 02:16 PM
The Ace Hardware closest to me stocks JPW.

montana_charlie
02-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I asked my wife to put Chore Boy on her shopping list. Told her that specific brand is the only one I am interested in, because it's all copper.

A week or ten days later she handed me a pack of Chore Boy scrubbing pads...and they will snuggle right up to any magnet that gets close to them.

CM

RobS
02-08-2011, 03:00 PM
steve in kc:

Pull a boolit from a round to make sure the base is the intended .452-.453 diameter. An aircooled WW boolit is hard enought to withstand the possible swage down of the case, but only if the boolit is aged. Don't expect a boolit of this alloy to be ready to load a few hours or even a few days after being cast.

zxcvbob
02-08-2011, 03:00 PM
You can get brass wool at Ace hardware; it's usually a special order item but it's not expensive. (I bought a pack but I haven't tried it yet)

geargnasher
02-08-2011, 03:44 PM
You can get brass wool at Ace hardware; it's usually a special order item but it's not expensive. (I bought a pack but I haven't tried it yet)

+1 on the bronze wool, it is a good "finisher" for getting the last bit of lead out of the tight angle at the base of the grooves where sometimes the Chore Boy is to coarse to reach. I wrap the wool around and old bronze brush just like the CB.

Chore Boy makes "solid copper" and copper plated steel, just because it is the right name doesn't mean it's the right product. I bought my last two-pack of solid copper ones at a convenience store for a buck just because I happened to see them and it was a good price.

Cadillo, why does stocking up on old Johnson's Paste Wax (they recently changed the ingredients quite a bit but the company denies it) make one worthy of your ignore list? If you're assuming he's making 45/45/10 with it and you don't approve, doesn't mean it doesn't work for him and many others and it certainly doesn't make him stupid.

Gear

Bret4207
02-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Guys, plain old hardware store 4/0 steel wool works as good as Chore Boy and WILL NOT harm your barrel. That's what your gun smith uses to polish the blue on your barrel.

smorin2
02-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey guys,here in Maine i buy Butler brand copper scouring pads.They are all copper,states so on the package and the magnet does'nt stick to them.They are sold at Hannaford grocery stores. I'm not sure how far south Hannaford stores are located but the website for this brand is: www.thebutler.com Hope this helps,Steve P.S. i tried the web address and got nothing but their phone # is:1-800-493-2205.They are located in Marlborough,Mass.

mroliver77
02-11-2011, 08:36 PM
I have found the easiest way to get lead out of a barrel is to not put it there in the first place. I rarely get leading in any gun these days.
A friend and I bought some boolits off a fellow at a gun show one time as they were very cheap. Man did they lead!They were very hard and had a crappy plastic like lube on them.About every fourth cylinder full we would load a cylinder full of my boolits with fwfl and it would take most of the lead out of the barrel. If you kept shooting mine barrel would be sparkling after 50 rounds or so.
I ended up tl over the blue lube with some alox. It helped a bit. Using the old CF Ventures red sheet wax cookies under the nasty boolits helped a bunch.
I have been doing a bit of IDPA shooting with a friend this last year. Some days my 1911 would go through 200 - 300 rounds of .45acp loaded with a mihec H&G 68 boolit with Felix lube and 4.1gr of "Titewad" powder. There is no leading whatsoever! The barrel actually shines before patching it. I have went 1000 or more rounds without touching the bore and it looked as good as after the first shot. If I can pull this off anybody can.
Jay

Doble Troble
02-11-2011, 09:00 PM
The only thing that keeps me from never cleaning my 1911 shooting Lee 200 gr SWC is that eventually lube goo will prevent the extractor from moving and doing it's job. This happens after 2 matches with practice in between - probably 500 rounds. I lube with BAC and size to 0.452 with a dead nuts 0.450 bore. 45 ACP is a casting dream...but you've got to run a Q-tip down the extractor tunnel (and why not firing pin tunnel while you're at it).

mpmarty
02-11-2011, 09:16 PM
+1 on 45acp being a casters dream cartridge. Cut my casting teeth on a 200gr swc from Lyman in the mid 1960s. almost idiot proof.

nanuk
02-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Bronze Wool

where would one find this?

NSP64
02-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Bronze Wool

On bronze sheep!
:holysheep:kidding:

+1 on the 0000 steel wool.

alamogunr
02-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Brownell's had it at one time. I haven't checked their catalog lately.

John
W.TN

*Paladin*
02-12-2011, 10:37 AM
+1 on the bronze wool, it is a good "finisher" for getting the last bit of lead out of the tight angle at the base of the grooves where sometimes the Chore Boy is to coarse to reach. I wrap the wool around and old bronze brush just like the CB.

Chore Boy makes "solid copper" and copper plated steel, just because it is the right name doesn't mean it's the right product. I bought my last two-pack of solid copper ones at a convenience store for a buck just because I happened to see them and it was a good price.

Cadillo, why does stocking up on old Johnson's Paste Wax (they recently changed the ingredients quite a bit but the company denies it) make one worthy of your ignore list? If you're assuming he's making 45/45/10 with it and you don't approve, doesn't mean it doesn't work for him and many others and it certainly doesn't make him stupid.
Gear

X2! I'm not sure why JPW would warrant adding someone to the "Ignore list", and even if something about JPW offends you, if you're going to ignore him, then why even comment?

Wayne Smith
02-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I have purchased bronze wool from the cleaning isle at WalMart.

c3d4b2
02-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Bronze Wool

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi

Gohon
02-12-2011, 11:35 AM
JPW is mixed with LLA for a very good reason.........it works.

blackthorn
02-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Quote: "JPW???

Another addition to the ignore list."

I'm going to make a WAG (wild ass guess) and say that Cadillo is one of the folks who get more than a little irritated by the use of capitolized letters instead of using the actual words! The tripple question marks indicate he did not know what JPW meant! Have a great day!

Dannix
02-12-2011, 01:46 PM
JPW???

Another addition to the ignore list.
Um, couldn't the poster legitimately respond with his own "http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon13.gifCome on man!" response? You could readily find out what it means with a forum search, or you could just simply ask.

If you put everyone on your ignore list who doesn't spell out everything for you, hold your hand every step of the way, and speak in newbie terms in every post, you could have a great majority of some of our more valued posters here on your ignore list.

Well, looks like I could be on his ignore list now too...

geargnasher
02-12-2011, 03:47 PM
I bought my bronze wool at Ace Hardware, it's used in some types of furniture refinishing where chemicals react with steel or the steel is too hard.

Gear

pistolman44
02-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Um, couldn't the poster legitimately respond with his own "http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon13.gifCome on man!" response? You could readily find out what it means with a forum search, or you could just simply ask.

If you put everyone on your ignore list who doesn't spell out everything for you, hold your hand every step of the way, and speak in newbie terms in every post, you could have a great majority of some of our more valued posters here on your ignore list.

Looking at some of his posts he also uses the word "IGNORE" in them and seems having trouble communicating with the english language. Or could be just an angery man. Sorry, I had to stand up for myself.

Cadillo
02-18-2011, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=geargnasher;1154313...........Cadillo, why does stocking up on old Johnson's Paste Wax (they recently changed the ingredients quite a bit but the company denies it) make one worthy of your ignore list? If you're assuming he's making 45/45/10 with it and you don't approve, doesn't mean it doesn't work for him and many others and it certainly doesn't make him stupid.

Gear[/QUOTE]

The use of Johnson's Past Wax for any purpose is just fine I suppose, but I choose to ignore folks who either can't spell or won't put forth the effort necessary to be understood. Either circumstance is sufficient to make me look elsewhere.

If I wanted to look at clues and guess what someone is thinking of, I'd work on a crossword puzzle.

You said 'Stupid", not I.
[smilie=b:

Ole
02-18-2011, 10:24 PM
I don't want to ignore anyone here because I would no doubt miss something useful.

:drinks:

geargnasher
02-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Sorry, man, if you've been a member here for four years and haven't figured out what JPW is yet, or don't care to search, you better put me on your ignore list too, because I use all kinds of annoying, hobby-specific acronyms as well. Like WW and LLA. Or FWFL. Or .30 WCF. I could do this all night!

Gear

Three44s
02-19-2011, 01:55 AM
+1 Ole!

I am perfectly happy with JPW .......... bought a can a while back ............. WW's and LLA's to all on President's day weekend!!

Three 44s

pls1911
02-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Bronze wool... Rockler's or other wood working specialty supply stores.
Great source for furniture and stock repair matierials a well

Cadillo
02-20-2011, 12:55 AM

So in your world someone who speaks the English language rather than some verbal texting type of language is a "newbie". I don't speak ebonics either and choose to ignore both.

And, Yes! You just made the list.

Qualification: "Lack of "Redeeming Social Value"

Cadillo
02-20-2011, 01:04 AM
Sorry, man, if you've been a member here for four years and haven't figured out what JPW is yet, or don't care to search, you better put me on your ignore list too, because I use all kinds of annoying, hobby-specific acronyms as well. Like WW and LLA. Or FWFL. Or .30 WCF. I could do this all night!

Gear

As per your request.

You made it. Thanks for the heads up!

Recluse
02-20-2011, 02:08 AM

So did you.

And, I suspect, probably on a whole lot of other members' list as well.

:coffee:

troy_mclure
02-20-2011, 06:37 AM
i am always surprised that people dont bother to learn the acronyms or lingo of their hobbies.

troy_mclure
02-20-2011, 06:38 AM
oh, and where is the ignore button?

unclebill
02-20-2011, 07:20 AM
i was a professional window washer for years.
we use 0000 bronze wool all the time on glass.
0000 steel wool works too but it rusts too fast.
any window cleaning supply place online will have that wool if you cant find it locally.

p.s.

i wanted to use a whole buncha acronyms but it's early and i cant think of any.[smilie=f:

ricksplace
02-20-2011, 07:54 AM
So in your world someone who speaks the English language rather than some verbal texting type of language is a "newbie". I don't speak ebonics either and choose to ignore both.

Qualification: "Lack of "Redeeming Social Value"

Can I be on the list too?

unclebill
02-20-2011, 08:03 AM
i was a professional window washer for years.
we use 0000 bronze wool all the time on glass.
0000 steel wool works too but it rusts too fast.
any window cleaning supply place online will have that wool if you cant find it locally.

p.s.

i wanted to use a whole buncha acronyms but it's early and i cant think of any.[smilie=f:

Can I be on the list too?

i think 1st we gotta talk like this.

i was a pww for years.
we use 0000 bw all the time on glass.
0000 sw works too but it rusts too fast.
any wcsp online will have that wool if you cant find it locally.

:killingpc

alamogunr
02-20-2011, 09:11 AM
WOW! This thread went downhill fast.:cry:

semtav
02-20-2011, 09:35 AM
the use of johnson's past wax for any purpose is just fine i suppose, but i choose to ignore folks who either can't spell or won't put forth the effort necessary to be understood. Either circumstance is sufficient to make me look elsewhere.

*** ????

Dannix
02-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Wow, yeah, not sure what's up with Cadillo. I'm not used to seeing here the attitude he has. Maybe a moderator will have a chat with him. :-?

Wots
02-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Bronze Wool

http://www.steelwool.biz/Bronze_Wool.htm

Wots
02-21-2011, 01:16 AM
http://www.steelwool.biz/Bronze_Wool.htm

Does this qualify me for cadillo hissy fits?

waksupi
02-21-2011, 02:22 AM
Well, if certain individuals can't get along, I'm sure a vacation can be arranged. If he doesn't enjoy it, the rest of us will. I just happen to be a member of the local travel agency.

unclebill
02-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Well, if certain individuals can't get along, I'm sure a vacation can be arranged. If he doesn't enjoy it, the rest of us will. I just happen to be a member of the local travel agency.

there is a guy at work .
when he goes on vacation.
it does me a world of good.:grin:

Doby45
02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
there is a guy at work .

LMAO, THAT was funny, I don't care who ya are.. :Fire:

C.F.Plinker
02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
there is a guy at work .

That's why you never schedule your vacation for the same time your boss is taking his vacation.

Crash_Corrigan
02-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Out here in Vegas Chore Boy is tough to find. Turns out that the local crack heads use it in their glass crack pipes. They put a tuft of chore boy into the pipe and then a chunk of Rock Crack on top of it. With a bic lighter then enjoy their smoke. The chore boy holds the crack and allows it to be melted and somewhat consumed.

Then after they finish smoking all the crack they have they light up the chore boy with a bic and they get more smoke from the residual left from the prior smokings.

Consequently there ain't much chore boy around for normal people to use. But there are a lot of dazed and crazed crack heads slithering around the shadows and dark places in Vegas looking for their next fix.

c3d4b2
02-21-2011, 10:51 PM
WOW! This thread went downhill fast.

It is the time of the year. I see the same type things on several sites. Everyone is going through powder smoke withdraw......:confused:

EDK
02-21-2011, 11:57 PM
It is the time of the year. I see the same type things on several sites. Everyone is going through powder smoke withdraw......:confused:

I wish my fellow RICHARD BOONE fans would get along.

To quote the bad guy in THE CROSSFIRE TRAIL movie, "come on boys; we're all friends here."

I use CHORE BOY, but it took awhile to get the real stuff...at WAL-MART, the Neiman-Marcus of suburban and rural America. I was having a leading problem when it was so d*** cold last month (using 50/50 and BAC from LARS) but when it got above 40, the problem seems to have disappeared. Anyone else notice that kind of thing?