PDA

View Full Version : Glenfield 30-30 v new X whatever Marlin 30-30!

Four Fingers of Death
11-13-2006, 02:29 AM
I have a nice Glenfield on lay by and I intend to get it out of hock when my retirement cheque comes through in a week or so. I was in the gunshop today having a look and once again looked at the new 24" SS Marlins with t he laminated stocks, XRs or XTs. The more I look at these, the better they look. Im tempted to switch to teh mewbie. What do you all think? Anyone used one yet?

Bullshop
11-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Yea Mick I have one in 45/70 and I like it way good! I like all the little changes. The longer barrel makes it hang a bit better for off hand, putting the weight a bit more forward. That squishy pad right out of the box sure does take the bite out of hot loads. I have tried several and the triggers have been very nice leaving nothing to be desired. Same goes for accuracy, brand new out of the box shooting only boolits even at the top end of the power range I get accuracy exceeding the needs for this type of rifle.
Even with the RCBS 325gn gc which has been the least accurate of the trio from them pushed to 2150 fps I have some targets fired at 100 yards that keep three shots hovering at about an inch. I dont fire more than three shots for group from this rifle or others like it because when I use it for hunting thats what I put in it. For some reason I just get the feeling they are putting more into this model like if it were a top of the line model. I have looked over a number of them and all look good as to fit of wood and metal. They come ready to go hunting with sling studs and whatever else we had to do after the fact with the older guns. With the stainless/lam they are ready for about any conditions you can stand to hunt it. All in all a fine hunting rifle they should have done a long time ago. Still dont know what the fluted bolt is about though.
BIC/BS

JDL
11-13-2006, 06:21 PM
I sure like the feel of my 24" A model better than the 20" SC but, being old fashioned, I perfer the blue and walnut models. If I was in the market for a new one though, I will admit I'd sure look hard at these. :-) -JDL

Four Fingers of Death
11-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I kinda like the blue/walnut look, but as I said the more I look, the better they seem. Mick.