PDA

View Full Version : Question for Glock Armorers

AnthonyB
02-07-2011, 08:33 PM
My M30 failed to fire for the first time last weekend. We had fired a few rounds with no issue, then got a light primer strike that failed to ignite the WLP primer. I racked the slide and repeated that three times. Removed the slide and noticed that the striker was still in the full forward position. Pushed the striker backward (took no effort) and assembled the pistol. First round fired, second round light primer strike again. It went into the range back and we carried on with the 1911.
Took it apart and cleaned to tonight, and the same thing is happening every time. I can push the striker back, put the frame on the slide, and dry-fire. When I remove the slide again, the striker is still forward. Any ideas what is going on, and what parts I need to replace?
Tony

Wayne Dobbs
02-08-2011, 01:02 PM
The striker remains forward when you disassemble so that's completely normal. Remember that you have to dry fire the pistol to disassemble without recocking? That results in a forward position of the striker assembly.

As for the misfires, was your striker channel full of oil and grunge when you cleaned it? That will cause light strikes and the cops are the worst about getting oil and solvent in the channel, causing this problem.

scrapcan
02-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I am not a glock armorer, but a few more question to help others who are

1) how old is the pistol
2) did you buy it new or is it a trade in
3) how many rounds downrange (if it is previous owned that will help with that question)
4) Have you done a detail strip and pulled the striker liner
5) what does the striker pring look like, is it in good shape

AnthonyB
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Wayne:
Pistol was detail stripped and cleaned after last range session; we were less than 20 rounds into this one when the misfires began.

manleyjt:
Pistol was purchased new about ten years ago and has about 1000 rounds through it. I pulled the striker liner and removed the striker spring; everything looked right to me.

I don't understand why the pistol would fire after reassembly but then misfire. Thanks for the ideas; I'll work on it again tonight.
Tony

AnthonyB
02-08-2011, 07:32 PM
OK, just took it apart again and realized I didn't explain very well.
I have two Glock 30s. When I remove the slide from the one that failed to fire, the firing pin flange (made up term for the piece that extends down at the rear of the pin) is touching the firing pin sleeve. I could pull the firing pin back about 1/4 inch and it would fire the next shot, but then fail to fire again.
When I remove the slide from the other one, there is a gap of about 1/4 inch between the firing pin flange and the firing pin sleeve.
So, what causes the difference? Could it be a problem with the firing pin safety or firing pin spring?
Tony

Wayne Dobbs
02-09-2011, 01:04 AM
Is the firing pin channel liner in place and correctly installed? Next, did you properly reinstall the firing pin spring cups on the assembly when you took it apart? If those parts are missing or improperly installed, you will get lots of failures to fire.

Is your firing pin safety properly installed? Especially, is the small spring that powers that part in place and not crossways in its channel?

The firing pin/striker spring is what powers the firing pin away from the firing pin spacer sleeve.

Sounds like you are either missing parts or they are improperly installed.

AnthonyB
02-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Wayne:
Thanks for the ideas.
The firing pin sleeve appears normal, and the spring cups are installed correctly. The firing pin safety and spring are in their proper positions; I checked them last night.
I'm planning to swap parts from the two pistols tonight.
Tony

scrapcan
02-09-2011, 12:02 PM
I think you may have an issue with the installation of the liner. Let us know what you find out.

Wayne Dobbs
02-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I think (without looking at the gun in "person") that if all your springs and cups are in place, that your channel liner is to blame. When doing all this cleaning, etc. did the liner come out? If so, although it is hard to tell, it does have a right end and a wrong end to install back in the slide. One end is slightly tapered and it takes good eyes and good light to see that. Make sure the tapered end is installed toward the muzzle end of the pistol and see if things don't improve.

Absent that, take the gun to a Glock armorer or send it to Glock.

Curly James
02-11-2011, 07:12 PM
If all appears well with the striker assembly and the channel liner is properly seated in the firing pin channel look at your trigger assembly. Especially the "cruciform" part of the assembly. Look for rough or worn edges indicating a broken or eroded part. 1000 rounds is not many for a Glock but I have seen stranger things occur.

AnthonyB
02-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Is the channel liner you guys are mentioning the same thing as the spacer sleeve shown on the Glock parts diagram? I'm not seeing a channel liner on any diagrams and want to make sure I'm not missing something. Looks to me like there is only one way the spacer sleeve can be installed.
The offending pistol has a Ghost Rocket 3.5 lb. connector installed; that will be my next swap.
Tony

Wayne Dobbs
02-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Anthony,

Glock doesn't list the channel liner on the parts diagram. It's been called the mystery part because of that! It is not the spacer sleeve. Your aftermarket connector shouldn't be causing misfires. Some of them will allow the gun to double or not reset in my experience.

AnthonyB
02-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Wayne:
Thanks for the clarification. The channel liner has not been out of the slide. I swapped parts between the two pistol night before last (firing pin safety, firing pin safety spring, and firing pin assembly) with no effect. The firing pin stays all the way forward, touching the rear of the spacer sleeve, and the firing pin safety is up in the slide. When I pull the firing pin back, the firing pin safety "releases" with an audible click. However, I loaded a primed case and the gun fired it. Will be back at the range tomorrow. Tony

AnthonyB
02-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Guys:
Thanks for all the help and info on the Glock. I've been shooting this particular pistol since 2000 with no problems. Current situation helped me learn a lot about the Glock operational cycle.
Just back from the Nation's Gunshow at Dulles, where a Glock armorer diagnosed the pistol with a weak firing pin spring. Replaced it free of charge, and I'll be at the range tomorrow to test it.
FYI, this is the biggest crowd I've ever seen at Dulles, and a lot of them were obvious newbies. Guys like us were still there, but the American people are buying guns and ammo like they are going out of style.
Tony

scrapcan
02-14-2011, 11:51 AM
keep us updated on the fix.