PDA

View Full Version : will single cavity handles work?

steve in kc
02-07-2011, 02:47 PM
I want to pick up a devastator mold in 45acp and found some used handles here in the swap/sell section, however, I just noticed that even though the devastator mold is a single cavity mold, it calls for DOUBLE cavity handles.

The handles I said "I'll take it" for are single cavity handles.

Lyman no longer offers single cavity sets of handles, only doubles and 4 cav.

So, will single cavity handles work on this mold or do I definitely need double cav handles?

Thanks.

BCall
02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
You'll need 2 cavity handles for it.

huntinmo
02-07-2011, 03:17 PM
I think you answered your own question. The single cavitiy handles mostly just fit the older and smaller Ideal type molds. As you found, the Devastator mold will need the double cavity handles.
Or, a less expensive alternative might be the Lee 6 cavity handles that should work also, but you had better check other sources on that since I have not tried it myself.

bhn22
02-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Single cavity moulds are about 1 in. square. @ cavity moulds are about 1.25 X 1.5 in. The angles are wrong for single cavity moulds to bolt on to double cavity moulds. HOWEVER, since you already bought both, it's always worth trying. You might get lucky.

NHlever
02-09-2011, 09:58 AM
When Lyman stopped making the single cavity handles they made the double cavity handles to work with both the single cavity, and double cavity molds, but it won't work the other way around, and you will need double cavity handles for your hollow point mold. ( RCBS handles may work too if you have them)

stubshaft
02-09-2011, 04:19 PM
You can even use the Lee 6 cavity handles if you don't mind the added weight.

GLL
02-09-2011, 05:21 PM
As others have mentioned just use the $12.00 LEE 6-cavity handles !
They actually work better than the original LYMAN handles anyway !

Jerry