PDA

View Full Version : Belding & Mull moulds

georgewxxx
02-07-2011, 02:32 PM
http://www.sodcity.com/gallery2/view_album.php?set_albumName=Cartridge-Springfield-pictures-etc&page=2
Probably not too many of you have a Belding & Mull mould, but with all the interesting threads on assigned mould numbers and people wanting to know what a particular mould looked like I thought it best if I add those to my on line picture albums. The scans were taken from a 1943 hand book.

It's interesting to note on the bottom of the first page that a extra $2.50 is charged for having mould hollow pointed. I have a 1937 price list flier posted too from B&M saying single cavity moulds were $5.25.

Two of the moulds I have are unvented, and I think all came with handles attached. They're big & heavy, but fairly easy to work with.

In that flier, they sell their own brand of moulds, scopes, gas checks, sights, tools, plus brass( they don't state what brand), & powder, both black and smokeless. I see no mention of primers....Geo

BCall
02-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the info George. I've been reading some of the stuff you have posted there, especially since I got a H&G #38 recently. Plenty of interesting pictures and stuff you have posted there. Much appreciated, Billy

georgewxxx
02-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Beagle made up a bunch of those Ness HP's in hope of getting a article for Castpics. He was thinking of having one made from a 311291, or 311299 or maybe something similar. No time frame as of yet. I'm playing with it the snow banks again this winter. Thoughts are to slow it down a bit and see how it might react on a small deer. I took some out loaded in a 30-30 last fall, but didn't succeed in finding my quarry while carrying my Winchester 54.

Did you read all those Ness American Rifleman articles posted there also? Some other makers must have made glance proof moulds also. ..Geo

BCall
02-10-2011, 01:35 AM
I haven't made it through all of them yet, but I found the one about reforming the bullet shape in a swage die very interesting. Looked like they had done up a 311413 with a big HP and was reforming that and the Ness bullet into round nose and spitzer type shape but keeping that big hollow cavity. Very interesting. I may have to find an old 311413 to HP and see if I can get a type of swage die made to form the round nose shape to tinker with. Will be shooting them in an 03A3 and a 30/30 as well, but probably won't get to it till summer. Thanks much, Billy

Maven
02-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I won a B & M .44cal. (.433") 269gr. WC mold with integral handles on eBay several years ago. Although it was filthy when I received it, it cleaned up beautifully and casts perfectly, even when cold. The thick sprue plate and small filler hole were quite innovative back in the day. Btw, when sized to fit my Ruger SBH, those WC's are among the most accurate CB's I cast.