PDA

View Full Version : Question on resizing Glock brass

Jim
02-07-2011, 01:10 PM
I have no experience with Glocks as I have never fired one. I'm told by some that the brass expands too much to be resized for reloading. Is this true?

I ask because I'm considering getting one, but I'd like to be able to reload for it.

I'd appreciate any responses that will help me with this.

missionary5155
02-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Howdy Jim
I have a Glock .40 S&W, a .45 and the small .45.
I reload for all 3 and have not found any resizing problems. The compact is the least shot one so maybe I just have not noticed any problems. But the other two get a good workout each time I am up. I have read this in posts also. Maybe I have unique barrels.

Catshooter
02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Jim,

Some will find it's a serious issue. In fact, Redding now makes a 'Glock Resizing die'. I have one for .45 ACP. You can push a case all the way through it with a proper size ram it will push the case out of the top of the die, rim and all gets sized. They may call it their Buldge Buster or something like that.

Cat

Houndog
02-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Jim,
I do not own a glock, but most of the guys I shoot with do. It seems to me the worst offender to bulge cases is the earlier model Glocks in 40 S&W with the stock barrels. The 9mm and the 45 don't seem to have that problem as bad as the 40's The best fix is to install A storm Lake barrel because it better supports the chamber and has conventional rifleing. The original barrels have more toward maximum sized chambers and polyagonal (sp?) rifleing that we're not supposed to use with cast, but several of the guys are and cleaning after every 200 rounds without problems.

finattic
02-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Jim,

I shoot a glock 23 in 40 S&W and with the factory barrel there will be case buldge at the base of the case about .005 below the grove. The Lee factory crimp die will take care of this. I replaced the factory barrel with a lone wolfe barrel from midway(got a deal because of my birthday) it is around 100.00. There is appx .013 difference in the brass when fired with the same load from factory barrel to lone wolfe. The factory barrel shoots well but i had the need to shoot cast boolits . unless you can make a tool get the factory crimp die and the buldge buster kit from lee and buy alot of brass. Load it all and shoot until your out and start again

Alan

Gunsmoke4570
02-07-2011, 11:56 PM
I own 3 Glocks. A 9mm and 2 40s. No issues so far and I've been shooting the G23 for 10years now.

9.3X62AL
02-08-2011, 01:44 AM
With my Glock 21 in 45 ACP, I found no difference in fired case diameters between its brass--a Kimber Custom II 1911A1 target-grade pistol--and a S&W 645. Indiscernable.

In my 3rd Generation Glock 23 in 40 S&W, there is about .003" more diametric expansion in the OEM chamber's fired brass than what is found in the pistol's Storm Lake 40 S&W barrel. Neither barrel shows any of the "guppying" (AKA distentions, or blevying) of brass I've seen in earlier-series Glock 40 caliber chambers/barrels. 40 S&W brass fired in the Storm Lake chamber and in the CZ-75B's chamber are practically indistinguishable from one another diametrically.

I would not balk at purchasing a Glock pistol based solely on its treatment of brass. Aftermarket barrels for the 40 S&W and 357 SIG are probably a good idea if cast boolits and extensive use of reloads are on the agenda. The 45 ACP ran hundreds of cast boolits very cleanly and accurately with the OEM barrel. I don't have enough experience with the Glock 9mm to make a recommendation either way.

Rather than focusing on the Glock system as the "problem" in the context of cast boolit shooting, a better frame of reference is that the 45 ACP is a very lead-friendly caliber.....while the other Glock calibers........not so much.

bbs70
02-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Glock 22 .40 cal.
Factory barrel left a slight bulge at the base of the brass.
I believe they call it The Glock Bulge.

Bought a Lone Wold barrel, no problems, no bulge, and accurate.
The brass I fired in the origional barrel I resized in a regular Lee sizing die and I am still using them.

HammerMTB
02-08-2011, 11:30 PM
I have a Glock 20 and a 29. I shoot 10MM brass in it for heavy loads, and 40S&W brass in them for light or practice/match loads. I have not had any brass get Glock smilies. Maybe they could, but some of my 10MM loads are pretty warm, and they are OK brass-wise.
I have a couple aftermarket bbls, too. I had significant trouble with Lone Wolf customer service, so quit buying them. Storm Lake makes good stuff and will stand by their product.
I think all the lower pressure calibers really aren't a problem at all, thus the .45 ACP will prolly never give an issue.

Jim
02-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Thank you all. Very good information!