PDA

View Full Version : Awesome find at Gun Show this Weekend

kweidner
02-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I found this beauty among the tables at a gun show this weekend....Been wanting a Dan Wesson since I was a boy. This one is made in Palmer (gold edition) and serial is less than 650. I had been holding out for one in SS.....but......Made one heck of a trade.....this thing is immaculate. I figured I got my SBH 44Mag talking respectable now and I know I can get it on in. Getting ready to start new project. Everything locks up like Fort Knox and bbl looks like it MAY have been shot. I have not had a chance to slug it yet. I did manage to get some J word bullets down the range yesterday before dark. One word WOW! Time to ask what mould design for mostly paper and steel punching, light varmint (Coyote) MAYBE an occasional deer no more than 50 yds no more than 120# in weight I really prefer no GC. Can't wait to drop some for it. What do you guys think?

oops i guess i shoud probably mention it is a .357 mag

dart55
02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Nice:bigsmyl2:

My dad has a stainless one in a 4 inch barrel, shoots sweet! nice trigger, tight lock up, everything a Smith is supposed to be.

I've shot quite several mid-range mag loads with HS-6 and many .38 special loads with 231 with the now discontinued Lee 158 grain SWC.

Very nice accuracy, way better then I can hold it.

Enjoy it!

Dan

RKJ
02-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I had one years ago, unfortunately I got rid of it (just as well as I was young, stupid and couldn't afford to feed it) but it sure was pretty. Yours is gorgeous.

Artful
02-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I have an old one (pork chop shroud) and 15-2 - both shoot well - they love the 358156 lyman boolets over 2400 or unique. Tough to find one in good shape for a reasonable price anymore.

Murphy
02-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Great score, great gun.

Back in my early days of handgunning, I purchased Dan Wessons (Couldn't afford the S&W's at the time).

I had also began handloading. The single one best group of my life fired from a handgun, was from an early model Dan Wesson with a 6" barrel. 6 shots from a bagged rest at 25 yards, the group could have been covered by a quarter easily.

Being young and new to the reloading/handgunning game...I took it as 'cool' and figured I'd see that fairly often. Little did I know...little did I know. Sure wish I'd kept that target.

Murphy

missionary5155
02-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Good morning
Been shooting DW´s since 1978 (model 15-2) and will never sell one.
Did you get the barrel removal tool ?
First thing remove the barrel nut and shroud. Then put a .0015 feeler gauge into the cylinder / barrel gap and turn the barrel to snug on that guage. leave the gauge in and replace the shroud and barrel nut. Nut tension.. I start with tight but not as possibly tight as I can get it. Barrel tension is a personal item with each revolver. Too loose is never good. Tight is OK and then when you have an accurate load you can play with tension. My 41 Mag likes "Real tight" .
But you will find that a DW can be the most acurate revolver you will ever own. When I shot steel critters I practiced by head shooting the turkeys at 150 meters.

kweidner
02-10-2011, 09:19 AM
My benchrest mentor owned one. He was the one that taught me most everything I knew until the WWW. It was a stainless 445 super mag. he kept it under the loading bench. One day I convinced him to let me try it. One full cylinder and 6 milk jugs later I was hooked. I was twelve at the time. I made him promise that day if he ever sold it to give me the first chance. He sold it when I was in college and didn't have the cash flow. UUUUUGGGGHHH. I have wanted a DW ever since, I just hadn't found one that was in the condition I wanted. I do not have the bbl wrench as of yet. I plan on it shortly. EWK has them. One day I will find that non-abused 445 that is not $1700 like I always see them on Gun Broker and Guns America. I will own one eventually but the 357 will do for now. I really wanted stainless because of the humidity around here. I don't plan on carrying it to the woods too much as i have many stainless guns to choose from. However, if it shoots like the promise it is showing, I may change that attitude all together. the moulds will be here today and I will better know this weekend.