PDA

View Full Version : How I spent my Sun afternoon

Cloudpeak
11-12-2006, 07:29 PM
It was a warm, no wind day here in north central Wyoming and I had the urge to render some wheel weights. I wonder how long this lead will last when turned into 45 ACP? I did two, 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights. The propane burner really beats the dickens out of the Coleman stove I used for years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/bench%20and%20reloading/DSCN1299.jpg

Cloudpeak

Dale53
11-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Cloudpeak;
This is similar to the set up that I recommend to new casters (and I still use). Even buying new, it doesn't cost an arm or a leg. Some of the items can be bought at garage sales, etc (I got a brand new, empty, Propane tank for $5.00). A sturdy (very important) turkey fryer and a low, wide, cast iron dutch oven is optimum. However, you can make do with slight deviations here and there. I see that you, too, have set up a piece of cardboard for a wind brake. Makes a difference, doesn't it?

I really don't recommend a Coleman anymore since I collapsed one by using a too heavy pot many years ago. Those flimsy grates just weren't designed for a heavy and hot lead pot.

My present pot is made of a piece of steel pipe with a welded bottom and a strong bale that is long enough not to be in the path of the flames when it is at rest. It holds eighty pounds full and has a working weight of 60 lbs.

You ought to just keep on melting. .45's eat up lead at a furious pace (about two bullets per ounce..)

Dale53

Cloudpeak
11-12-2006, 08:25 PM
I lucked out. A good friend gave me his turkey burner. He scared himself on his elevated, wood deck and decided to prepare turkey via another method. I got the cast iron pot with wood handle and lid at a local antique shop. The propane cylinder is off the gas grill. Oh, and the wind baffel is my target carboard full of 45 holes:-D

Cloudpeak

madcaster
11-13-2006, 11:50 AM
As you say Sir,no wind,just be mindful of the fire danger to your building.
Jeff.

carpetman
11-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Cloudpeak---I cannot tell for sure--but it looks as if your ingot mold is a LYMAN with the N correct. NVCurmudgeon and I have the highly sought after LYMAZ(Actually not a Z but a backwards N.) If yours is the plain Jane type you'll need to keep them under a tarp and out of sight. Sorta like if you dont have a Rolex but have a Timex you have to wear long sleeve shirt.

montana_charlie
11-13-2006, 01:46 PM
After seeing that eBay sale for the 'unique' lead ingot, I examined my Lyman ingot moulds. I was delighted to discover that they were both cast with the Z (actually not a Z but a Cryllic I), and fully expect to start selling .75 pound ingots for $67 each. Now, instead of living on a 'fixed income', I have found a way to 'fix' my income.

By filling the moulds brim full, I can produce single, four-segment ingots with the Cryllic I on each segment...and they weigh right at five pounds.
I am willing to make a special offer (to members of this board only) of $250 for each five pounder. PM me with the number you desire.
CM

Cloudpeak
11-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Cloudpeak---I cannot tell for sure--but it looks as if your ingot mold is a LYMAN with the N correct. NVCurmudgeon and I have the highly sought after LYMAZ(Actually not a Z but a backwards N.) If yours is the plain Jane type you'll need to keep them under a tarp and out of sight. Sorta like if you dont have a Rolex but have a Timex you have to wear long sleeve shirt.

My mold has the backward "N". And, I'm going to undercut Montana Charlie and really make some big bucks. Might even spray paint a few ingots glittery gold:-D

Cloudpeak

snowman
11-14-2006, 10:58 AM
your sunday is much more exciting than mine. mine started with the wife yelling because it had been a week since her brake line went out, and I still hadn't fixed it.

So, steps were like this...

1) Push everything in the center of the garage to edges.
2) Pull car in to garage
3) Make first trip to napa, buy brake lines and brake fluid
4) Remove old brake lines
5) Realize that napa didn't give me the right fitting.
6) Second trip to napa
7) Ask my father in law if he is any good at bending brake lines
8) Regret askin my father in law anything
9) Still regretting it, and it seems I have to run to napa again to replace the brake line he screwed up
10) 3rd napa trip
11) realize that bleeder screw is frozen
12) Where did I leave the torch...do I have oxygen?
13) still looking for torch
14) I wonder if napa sells torches
15) BFH comes through...torch not needed
16) Bleed brakes for what feels like an hour
17) Take it on it's test drive, to napa, to return the extra brake line I bought (just in case FIL screwed up another one)
18) Wife asks, "are you going to shower, remember, we have to go over to my best friends tonight"

End of day

Cloudpeak
11-14-2006, 11:04 AM
your sunday is much more exciting than mine. mine started with the wife yelling because it had been a week since her brake line went out, and I still hadn't fixed it.

So, steps were like this...

12) Where did I leave the torch...do I have oxygen?

I found the problem. You could have grabbed the torch and creeper, some lead and a mold and slid under the car and cast some bullets!

Yep, I agree. I liked my Sunday better than yours. Good thing I smelted Sun as we're having a blizzrd today.

Cloudpeak

snowman
11-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I found the problem. You could have grabbed the torch and creeper, some lead and a mold and slid under the car and cast some bullets!

Yep, I agree. I liked my Sunday better than yours. Good thing I smelted Sun as we're having a blizzrd today.

Cloudpeak

I gave up on FINDING the torch, just used the big hammer instead :)

sundog
11-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Snowman, just another typical day, huh? sundog

Hunter
11-16-2006, 01:52 AM
I bought me a nice gas burner from the farm supply house (one size larger than a gas grill) with 2 regulators. Man will she smelt some lead in a hurry.