PDA

View Full Version : New to casting tons of qustions

Dadswickedammo
02-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Have been reloading for years. Was at my local tire shop and asked for some scrap lead Phil tells me he has about 1000lb of new unused wheel weights he needs to get out of his shop it;s not legal in Ca, Well Phil pay for my gas and i will haul it off. And haul it off i did. have been collecting casting equpt and i am just about ready and need to know what i need to do to this lead to make 30cal 150 gr to go fast enough to cycle the action 2200fps or so with out gumming up the works. I have the melting pots dipper lee mould gas check crimper lyman lube and sizer just need the sizer dies but figure i can get some lead ready with flux,arsnic,tin, and find a sorce for all that and need to know how much of what to get started just looking for good BOOLITS that are safe to shoot and not fall apart.
Thanx..............

Dennis Eugene
02-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Wow you fell into a great deal of good luck. Dennis

lylejb
02-07-2011, 01:24 AM
First, Welcome aboard!

Second, I would suggest you do some reading, in fact, alot of reading. At the begining of every section you will find "sticky" threads. These are commonly, often asked questions and helpful info. The "clasics and stickies" section should answer lots of questions, even some you haven't asked yet.

Third, invest in a good manual, or two. The info is well worth the price, and may save you from pitfalls later.

lwknight
02-07-2011, 01:39 AM
Welcome to the madness.
I might be abrupt but must say that you do not need arsenic at all.
Assenic increases surface tension to make shot round and speeds up the age hardening process of antimony. Most alloys will reach 90% of their hardness within 4 to 6 weeks anyway without arsenic.

41magfan
02-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Welcome to the best site on the net. God helps those that help themselfs and if you look you will find answers to most of your own questions. What gun/guns are you planning to reload for?