PDA

View Full Version : How to sift? Mining a trap field.

skytex
02-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Ok, I recently got permission to try my hand at gathering lead from a trap field. Now I'm curious how to go about this. How do I sort lead from dirt when they are both the same size? The field uses nothing but 7.5-9 lead. no steel allowed and nothing over 7.5. I plan to perhaps use a bit of this if it's any good, but my main use is to melt it down and recast into shot using my shotmaker. Does anyone have any ideas or nifty contraptions that would aid in this?

stubshaft
02-07-2011, 01:47 AM
I tried it and for me it got tiresome. I used a 5 gal bucket and would put the dirt, shot and pieces of asphaltum (broken bits of clay targets) in it. Run a hose with water into the bottom of the bucket and while the water was running agitate the mix. The lighter particles would be washed off. The I would sift the remaing particles to remove the rocks and gravel. I would shoot this shot at skeet as the deformed pellets would open the pattern quickly.

I get enough dirt, weeds and garbage in my range lead to make me want to smelt the shot for boolits.

clodhopper
02-07-2011, 01:51 AM
I have seen home made screeong machines. Perhaps they are beyond what you want right now. A contractor came to our range with them.
But they are a series of screens, the ore is shoveled on the top screen where coarse, about 1/4" screen keeps the big stuff out.
The fines are screened on a much smaller mesh screen where the dirt falls through, and the shot is collected in a container.
These machines are powered by small gas engines like from a lawn mower.
The shot reclamation contractor knew how far the shot would be from the trap houses and hired a road grader to windrow the top layer of dirt.
The grader went one way and back to make each windrow.
The machines were on wheels and employees of the contractor spent days shoveling shot rich dirt into the shaker screens.
Our club got a very sizeable check back in the days when lead was jut pennies a pound.

bumpo628
02-07-2011, 02:41 AM
I once bought some dirty reclaimed shot. Way too dirty to use as-is.
I put it in a bucket with a hose and a lot of the dirt comes out with the overflow. Stir it around and more comes out. Then I made an inclined plane and dumped the shot at the top. The rocks didn't roll, but the shot goes downhill. It was a pita for 50 lbs of shot.

If I was going to try to tackle a shot field, I guess the only way to do it cheaply would be to build a frame with a series of screens. Maybe you could attach a motor with an offset weight to the frame to get it to vibrate. Remember that once you get the shot out it needs to be cleaned and graphited. Then you're back to my first paragraph.

skytex
02-07-2011, 08:29 AM
That's why I was considering just melting it down and recasting it. That way if some rock or dirt get in it, it'll just come out when I melt it all down. My problem is trying to get the big stuff out. I'd only bother trying to reuse it if it was just really easy to get to or in such good condition that it'd be a shame to melt it.

as for cleaning and graphiting, i do that as it is with my shotmaker. I'm just not sure how to take the dirt from the field and turn it into dirty shot where I don't bring the whole place back with me.

The Double D
02-07-2011, 09:01 AM
You guys need to watch that Alaska Gold Rush show and make one of them gold mining machines....they work for lead also..just don't have them gold rush guys build it for you, it will break.

krag35
02-07-2011, 09:35 AM
If you have acess to water, a high banker would do a fine job of separating the lead shot from the overbuden.

skytex
02-07-2011, 10:57 AM
I'll have water at home but I'm wanting something I can put in my garden cart so I don't take home more dirt than lead. Some sort of screen box is a good idea. Can anyone expand on the idea?

badbob454
02-07-2011, 11:18 AM
a hi banker or rocker box should do the job .'' gold mining equipment'' i get a lot of shot when panning or dredging for gold or use a gold pan screen bigger than shot size and then pan by hand if the shot is concentrated enough should work well

badbob454
02-07-2011, 11:19 AM
I'll have water at home but I'm wanting something I can put in my garden cart so I don't take home more dirt than lead. Some sort of screen box is a good idea. Can anyone expand on the idea?

look into gold classifier screens

gray wolf
02-09-2011, 03:28 PM
My motorized sluice box with a little Honda pump does a nice job. But you have to be near a water source. At home I use a kiddie pool and recycle the water.
Yes we have Gold in Maine. Not much --but enough to have a nice time on the Swift river.

jmsj
02-09-2011, 09:12 PM
skytex,
If the ground is mostly dirt, you can use a leaf blower to blow away most of the debris. As you blow away the debris try to blow the shot into a small area then scoop it up. this can be sifted,screened or washed at home. I tried this last year at a trap range that the backstop was a steep, rocky, wooded hillside. It is a lot of work, 6 hours of work yielded 30 or 40 pounds of shot.

Trapaddict
02-10-2011, 09:42 AM
The first thing you want to do is look for the shot in the "sweet spot". If you are in an area where you are finding pieces of broken clay target, you aren't far enough out yet. This chart shows the approximate distances the pellets will fly. Most trap is shot with number 7 1/2 or number 8 shot so You want to get out about 80-130 yards on a normal trap field and you should be in fat city. Remember that trap targets are not shot at with the muzzle of the gun at 45 degrees, but a much shallower angle thus decreasing the distance the pellets actually go so they will not reach the 200 yard or so distance before falling back to earth. At this 80-130 yard distance, you will be past all of the wads and target pieces. As far as screening it goes, you want to develop a means to roll the shot inside of a fine mesh screen to allow most of the dirt to fall through but not the shot while passing a high volume of high pressure air over it. The air will blow off all of the lighter lose debris off of it. My guess is that after you attempt this once or twice, you will not do it again. Been there and done that!

Jeff

LEADLUBBER
02-10-2011, 10:42 AM
to add to mining the sweet spot, consider asking the range if they would let you put down tarps or a fine screen to gather the shot falling in the sweet spot, then you wouldn't have to sort it out from the dirt, just the broken clays mostly....

if you could find some surplus tarps or military stuff, you might could collect several pounds of pretty clean shot in a few months that wouldn't be such a back breaking deal....

My father in law used to do this and he said he could collect 60-100 lbs every month with three or four well placed canvas tarps that were 40 x 40.....

Trapaddict
02-10-2011, 06:12 PM
I like lead lubbers idea a whole lot better!!!

Jeff

skytex
02-11-2011, 11:34 PM
I really like the tarp idea except that the cost of a canvas tarp that size will set you back a very hefty price. It'd take alot of lead to pay or it.

I went out today and got afew shovel fulls and put em in buckets. The ground is still wet but I could tell there was lead in it. It went about 2-3" deep before thinning. However I think in a 5 and a 3 gal bucket full of sod I may get 3-4lbs. The field is grown with costal which makes skimming off the top rather hard. Anyways, how can I separate this sod from the lead?

bumpo628
02-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Just throwing ideas out here:
1. Fill a 5 gal bucket up half way. Tilt it at 45 deg. and put the hose in there. When it overflows, the water will carry most of the dirt and leave the lead.
2. Toss small shovel loads of the mix into the air with a large fan blowing. Maybe the dirt will blow off to the side and the lead will fall on to a tarp.

JIMinPHX
02-12-2011, 12:46 PM
AZmike is the expert on separating shot from soil. He does it professionally. He sells the tools to do it professionally. He sells what he recovers. He's a stand up guy to deal with.

http://mcneeleyenterprises.com/page.php?2

skytex
02-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks Jim. I dont think my little project is up for a $13,000 investment plus the cost of a skidsteer or loader.

Muddy Creek Sam
02-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Cement Mixer and a hose.

Sam :D

mold maker
02-13-2011, 05:19 PM
I haven't tried shot, but I get almost all of LOE pistol range lead dirt off with a HF cement mixer and water from a hose. I sometimes let it run with a dash of soap and then rinse till the suds and muddy water are cleared.
What's left is clean lead, that gets a couple days in the sun on the cement drive. Turning it with a rake lets me make sure there are no live rounds. The resulting smelt has very little dross and the jacket material is much more sell-able.
I'm sure with changes to contend with the shot size, the same process would work.

skytex
02-13-2011, 07:04 PM
So far this has been a waste. I'm washing it in the sink in my workshop putting afew hand fulls in a plastic box tilted to run out one end with a screen where it pours out to catch the grass and keep it outta the drain. Also got another screen over the drain to be sure. Out of a 3 gallon bucket of dirt, I've gotten a double handful of shot. And wrinkled dried out hands. If I'm only gonna get that much I'm spending more on water than id pay for shot. It'd take alot of shot to pay for a big canvas tarp too.

Larry Gibson
02-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Cement Mixer and a hose.

Sam :D

Bingo, that's the fastest and most efficient way.

Larry Gibson

jppr26
02-27-2011, 01:37 PM
look into a recurculating high banker then build one you could probably do it for under 100 bucks for a small one, i had one that i built and used for this same reason it gave me a 5gal bucket half full of shot an mixed bullets in under 2 hrs. main thing you need is a hopper with a spray bar and grizzly, then you need a sluce box to go under it, mine was 12" wide 3" tall and 4' long. Turned up expanded metal works great but will load up fast, a deep hungarian riffle works best spaced about 3" apart. My water source was a large puddle with a 2.5hp engine with a 1.5" trash pump.

skytex
02-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Ok those contraptions would work fine if I were just separating black dirt from shot. But I have clumps with lots of fine roots that grip the shot to the very end. Not to mention needing some way to break down the clumps of dirt. I had something similar to these set up in my sink where water ran into an angled box, alot of the grass floated up, and the water carried off all the dirt leaving me with sand, fine roots, and shot. Rinsed in a fine mesh kitchen strainer I use to separate shot from powder when I make an oopsie reloading and that removed the sand leaving shot and roots. I melted 2/3 of a 10lb pot full of this expecting the roots to just burn off. I had maybe a 1/4 pot of lead and the rest was what looked to be dirt, and oxidized shells from the shot. I'd like to be able to easily, and cheaply filter down to shot only to toss in the pot. Besides it took a good hour to melt the little bit I had. If I ever want this to be remotely profitable over buying lead or shot already made, I've got to simplify the procedure. Somehow to break down the dirt clods into soil, then a setup like these recirculating sluice boxes. And even then having more shot than not left at the end.

On building one of these, what materials would be needed and where would they be obtained? Would it be easier to just buy a small cement mixer at harbor freight and set it in a kiddie pool full of water then use a sump pump to recycle the water?

skytex
02-28-2011, 10:21 PM
A resourceful guy over on shotgunworld just had an idea. I wanna run it by y'all too. See if any flaws can be found. I cant find any myself.

"I've never tried this, just a thought that came to mind reading your post...

Buy an old dryer on Craigslist. Plug the air holes in the barrel, because they're too large stop the shot. Cut out big holes in the "barrel" and replace with screen small enough to catch the shot size you're harvesting. Remove whatever guts inside the dryer are in your way, or in the way of dirt falling freely out the bottom. All you need is the drive mechanism to spin the barrel (unless you want heat to dry the mix). Mount it with space under the dryer so you can use a shovel to remove the filtered dirt.

Shovel dirt/shot mix into the dryer, and turn it on. Occasionally toss more mix into the dryer and clear the filtered dirt out from underneath."

Well?

bumpo628
02-28-2011, 10:30 PM
A resourceful guy over on shotgunworld just had an idea. I wanna run it by y'all too. See if any flaws can be found. I cant find any myself.

"I've never tried this, just a thought that came to mind reading your post...

Buy an old dryer on Craigslist. Plug the air holes in the barrel, because they're too large stop the shot. Cut out big holes in the "barrel" and replace with screen small enough to catch the shot size you're harvesting. Remove whatever guts inside the dryer are in your way, or in the way of dirt falling freely out the bottom. All you need is the drive mechanism to spin the barrel (unless you want heat to dry the mix). Mount it with space under the dryer so you can use a shovel to remove the filtered dirt.

Shovel dirt/shot mix into the dryer, and turn it on. Occasionally toss more mix into the dryer and clear the filtered dirt out from underneath."

Well?

That might work, but the only flaw I can see is that the drum would start to get really heavy. The belt might start slipping and maybe the motor would be overworked.

Maybe you could rig up your own thing using the dryer as a concept. Make a wood drum and attach the screens as you described above. The difference would be that you could attach a large diameter pulley to the drum - maybe a bicycle wheel. The drum would turn slower, but the motor wouldn't work as hard. You could use any motor that is big enough and attach it using whatever belt(s) you can find.

If you put the door on the drum wall (not the front like a dryer), you only need to rotate it down with a wheelbarrow underneath to empty it.

KYCaster
02-28-2011, 11:40 PM
That guy on Shotgunworld....is his name Red Green??? Did he suggest taping hockey sticks to the drier to raise it off the ground??? :kidding:

I've pondered the same problem myself and the cement mixer/water hose suggestion is probably the best deal for a small operation.

I agree with Bumpo...the drier would probably be easily over loaded and would be hard to empty.

Let us know if you come up with something that works reasonably well.

Good luck
Jerry

jppr26
03-04-2011, 01:17 PM
KYCaster i have that same spaceman spiff for a tattoo

skytex
03-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Thought I'd drop an update.

Still working on the dryer. I lined the drum with wire screen. The drum has several 4x6" holes in it. It worked great for a couple of hours then the wire started giving out.

Back to the drawing board. Now I'm using 1/4" hardware screen a bit bigger than my holes. Then wrapping it in the wire screen I used previously. This should limit the stress on the finer wire screen as the 1/4" is much stiffer and will not allow the fine stuff to stretch and tear. I'm bolting these screen panels over the holes. Hopefully I will finish doing this tonight and try again. Work has picked up thus my tinkering has slowed.

I still feel this will work. It is just taking some refinement.

bumpo628
03-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Thought I'd drop an update.

Still working on the dryer. I lined the drum with wire screen. The drum has several 4x6" holes in it. It worked great for a couple of hours then the wire started giving out.

Back to the drawing board. Now I'm using 1/4" hardware screen a bit bigger than my holes. Then wrapping it in the wire screen I used previously. This should limit the stress on the finer wire screen as the 1/4" is much stiffer and will not allow the fine stuff to stretch and tear. I'm bolting these screen panels over the holes. Hopefully I will finish doing this tonight and try again. Work has picked up thus my tinkering has slowed.

I still feel this will work. It is just taking some refinement.

How about a couple of pics?

skytex
03-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Hopefully I'll have some pics and even maybe a video up this weekend. I want to finish up covering the holes.

skytex
03-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Ok, here are some pics. I ran it for awhile tonight. Only problem is breaking up the round balls some of the dirt formed last round. I don't know if this will happen with the next batch but I'd assume so. Any way to prevent it? I know it's from moisture in the dirt letting it roll up like that. the damned things are hard enough to use for slugs after they dry out like these. Anyways, suggestions are welcome.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/SkyTex/6906dae0.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/SkyTex/a51da2c1.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/SkyTex/6a212843.jpg

bumpo628
03-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Looks good. So the machine works with the standard belt and motor?

skytex
03-23-2011, 05:36 AM
Yep. I don't usually go much over the load in it there.

a.squibload
03-25-2011, 02:27 AM
Dryer looks good.

Alternate method:
1) Plow sweet spot, deep furrows.
2) Call in air strike, napalm.
3) Allow to cool.
4) Go pick up ingots.

I read somewhere (maybe here) about a shop vac like contraption,