PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic cast turret ?

Digger
02-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Hear say or rumor , has any body heard any thing about Lee making a progressive out of the Classic cast turret ?... just curious , been using one for about a couple years now .
Been a great machine so far ....

digger

Ben
02-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Considering that Lee has their LoadMaster , it seems unlikely. I haven't heard anything about this ? ? ?

troyboy
02-06-2011, 09:00 PM
It would be easy. All that would have to be done is some ram modification and a shellplate carrier. But Why? The loadmaster works if you have the patience.

hk33ka1
02-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Haven't heard that. On Richard Lee's Youtube Channel there is a video from Oct 10 of some new stuff that hasn't been released yet.

howlnmad
02-06-2011, 09:48 PM
If they made it with 5 holes, I'd buy one for every caliber I have. Forget the turrets.

howlnmad

Digger
02-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Picked up the rumor in another forum a few month's back , yes the turret by itself is such a good stand alone machine and it fills a niche in the reloading world very nicely
After using it for quite a while now I can see how it would also provide an excellent base for a progressive compared to Lee's existing line up , with that said mine is working perfectly for my loading requirements and am totally satisfied with it's function for me .... just right , in between a single stroke and a full on progressive and very economical.
digger

Moonie
02-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm confused, the Pro1000 IS based on the turret, what am I missing (well I know, its is missing some holes, certainly needs more than 3)

BCall
02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm confused, the Pro1000 IS based on the turret, what am I missing (well I know, its is missing some holes, certainly needs more than 3)

I believe he is referring to the larger heavier Classic Cast turret press. Only available as a 4 hole instead of the 3 hole like the regular Lee turret press.

I see no reason why they would make one though, unless they were going to do away with the 3 hole turret altogether, but they would still have to supply parts for all of the Pro1000's currently out there. In it's current form, I would think it ungainly. If you use the first station to size/deprime, second to seat primers/expand case mouth/drop powder charge, third to seat, and fourth to crimp. That would be my preferred usage, but that would also put the bullet seating stage in the back of the press where you would have to reach around to place a bullet, unless you want to fiddle with their bullet seat and feed die.

Otherwise they would have to devise a way to off set the turret at a 45 degree angle, which may lead to a host of other new problems with primer placement, case feeder, etc, being in the way of the posts.

I would like to see them have a 4 station progressive, but I don't actually see it happening when they have the Loadmaster. I'm not fond of the LM, and a 4 hole conversion would please me, I just don't see it happening.

Cowboy T
02-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Such a "Classic Pro 1000", a 4-hole Pro 1000 based on the Classic Turret, would be a really, really good idea. But as long as Richard Lee's still alive, I doubt John Lee will introduce it. Richard considers the LM his "masterpiece" design, and John is his son, after all.

geargnasher
02-11-2011, 02:02 AM
I've been trying for some time to figure out a way to make a Pro1000 out of a Classic turret, keeping it a 3-station. If I had a lathe I could make the ram work, and the columns are a different length between the turrets and the Pro1000. Probably some other things I'm missing, too, but the Classic is a much better press base.

Gear

JesterGrin_1
02-11-2011, 02:49 AM
Maybe Lee will see the light and Make a new Pro 2000 with the Classic Cast design. Would be one heck of a press. :)