PDA

View Full Version : .44 320gr JDJ mould

Fisher
02-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Hallo Okes

I need a mould to cast the 320gr (sized to .431") JDJ desighn boolit,

I send an e-mail to NEI but then I read you okes are not that happy with the service/moulds

Who do you sugest I contact for a mould ?

Some backround info:

This is my first post on this forum, I am a South African, I grew up hunting realoading & fishing.

I am not realy big in the forums now days, since I started my own business (No time for nothing else)

I was on the Polaris Ranger Club forum way back when they started, I realy enjoyed it, but I doubt that I will ever be that active on a forum again.

bhn22
02-06-2011, 05:29 PM
First of all, welcome! The JDJ bullet series seem to have fallen out of favor in the last several years as the popularity of the LBT LFN has gained momentum. The JDJ bullets were designed with penetration in mind, and to an extent seem to sacrifice frontal area to achieve that end. Perhaps Mountain Molds would be able to supply such a design, like yourself, I'm a bit concerned about the reports I've been hearing lately about NEI & especially their handling of these situations. One other possibility: try contacting SSK directly & see if they have any moulds on hand. They used to stock them, and may still have a quality mould left. Be up front with them about your concerns about NEIs quality of late.

Fisher
02-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the reply man, I will do some resurch on the LBT.

44man
02-07-2011, 09:39 AM
I had one .44 NEI mold long ago that was seriously out of specs. I sent it back and they fiddled with it and made it worse by making it cast larger to make the boolit round. If I remember it was casting about .005" out of round.
That would have been fine to be larger but it had such tiny grease grooves, they were wiped out just getting the boolit to fit my gun. I never got it to shoot.

Groo
02-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Groo here
Mountain molds will work but you meed to ask them if you can get a double crimp gruve..
Penn Bullets sells the later version bullet with both and can be used in shorter cylinders. [S&W]
I have an original mold intended for longer cylinders like rugers and DW's..
Pm me if you need info..
P.S. J.D.s' hunting friend Kelly [of Magnaport "RIP"] took a ruger Blackhawk to africa
and put those bullets through everything he hit...
P.P.S. worthless for deer ,, not enough stuff to work on ,, too small ,, Personal Experience...

bhn22
02-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Mine cast .427 with linotype! Too bad, it was a fairly rare brass mould. I should've kept it, but at the time I had no patience for things that didn't work right. My history is littered with silly things like that. Why once, I had the chance to buy a 64 Impala SS409...

Groo
02-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Groo here
Mine is an Alu 2 cavity mold marked SSK

Shakey Jakey
02-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Mine cast .427 with linotype! Too bad, it was a fairly rare brass mould. I should've kept it, but at the time I had no patience for things that didn't work right. My history is littered with silly things like that. Why once, I had the chance to buy a 64 Impala SS409...That was a cool car but my favorite of that era was the 62 409 Belair sport coupe ("bubble top").

bhn22
02-07-2011, 11:16 PM
That was a cool car but my favorite of that era was the 62 409 Belair sport coupe ("bubble top").

It was $250.00. It ran, but smoked. The body was really straight.

Fisher
02-09-2011, 02:11 PM
I am dropping the NEI mold option - Thank you for warning me.

I know the JDJ's has taken many Cape Buffalo, but the chance that any regular South African (I am one) will ever get to hunt one with a rifle is quite slim, and with a handgun it is even less. There is no point if it is exeptional on buffalo but leaves alot to be disired when hunting anything else when everything else will be hunted 99.99% of the time. Planes game will be hunted mostly, so I think I will settle on a 320gr LTB LFN (bhn22 recomdation) and if by some supernatural happening I get to hunt a buff I can not see why it wouldn't work with a broadside shot in the heart/lung aria.

Will you guys approve the boolit for the task at hand ? Any expierance?

The Gun is a Ruger SRH 9.5"

I am negotiating with LBT at the moment.

TCLouis
02-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Not the JDJ mold, but if you are looking for a great shooting heavy 44 boolit, look at the C429310 from Lee.

One of the designers of that boolit used to frequent this site.

Anyway, it has the best group of anything I have shot from my SRH.

YMMV.

Even starting out moderately it seems to arrive at the target berm with authority and assume game would note the same.

Fisher
02-11-2011, 02:52 AM
...if you are looking for a great shooting heavy 44 boolit, look at the C429310 from Lee.

....it has the best group of anything I have shot from my SRH.

YMMV.

Even starting out moderately it seems to arrive at the target berm with authority and assume game would note the same.

Hey man thanks for the reply, I am ordering the LTB LFN mould, I never knew lee had a heavy 44 boolit.

What size are they when cast with WW and at what size do you shoot them ?

What is the velocity you get with them ?

I will get one just because it might work and wouldn't realy smack the bank account to hard.

TCLouis
02-11-2011, 10:35 PM
I have never weighed them or miced them from my old single cavity mold. I size to 0.431" so they cast a bit bigger.

The double cavity mold is $18.06 and the 6 cavity blocks without handles are $36.67 from Mid South Shooters Supply. I am using less than max loads and am assuming 1000-1150 fps. Never have chronographed the load.

Recoil in the shooter load with H110 look a like is not bad in the SRH but is VERY brisk in SBH.

Fisher
03-22-2011, 05:17 AM
I have never weighed them or miced them from my old single cavity mold. I size to 0.431" so they cast a bit bigger.

The double cavity mold is $18.06 and the 6 cavity blocks without handles are $36.67 from Mid South Shooters Supply. I am using less than max loads and am assuming 1000-1150 fps. Never have chronographed the load.

Recoil in the shooter load with H110 look a like is not bad in the SRH but is VERY brisk in SBH.

This is just some feed back on the .430 310gr lee boolit using lee Alu blocks:

*Naked boolit cast with Wheel weight lead = 300gr

*Size is .431" and .0015 out of round. (.345 meplat)

*Gas checked and lubed it weighs 307gr

*Shot out of a Ruger 9.5" SRH @ around 1500fps,

* full cylinder shot 2" un eaven circle at 75 yards using scope.

I believe this bullet might work just as well for plainsgame as anything else.

GARCIA
03-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Fisher, got this mold from Tom at Accurate molds. It casts a great 320gr boolit. Here is what it looks like when loaded.

Tom

Lloyd Smale
03-22-2011, 06:39 AM
ive had a couple of them and they both casted small. A better choise if you want a bullet close to that design is the ballistic cast 340 lfngc.

HammerMTB
03-22-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm having good success with my 310 Lee mold. I shoot mine in a 9.5" SRH too. I'd like to know how ya get 1500FPS out of it, Fisher. I get 1350 with a 22gr charge of WW296. It is all I want to charge up in a SRH.

bhn22
03-22-2011, 09:41 PM
ive had a couple of them and they both casted small. A better choise if you want a bullet close to that design is the ballistic cast 340 lfngc.

Ballisticast is toast. They're trying to find a new location and advertising for someone to buy them out?

Buddy
03-27-2011, 11:33 AM
I've been trying to convince myself I need a Lee 310GC mold for my Dan Wesson 744VH8. I shoot 240's now for the DW and SBH. DW will shoot under 3" @ 100yds, but I'm guessing the 1-16" twist will stabilize the 310 just fine. Ruger twist is 1-20" and I don't hear any complaints about stabilization. I'm looking for load to stretch the capabilities of the DW. I just love long range revolver shooting. Someone convince me I need this mould!

Fisher
04-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm having good success with my 310 Lee mold. I shoot mine in a 9.5" SRH too. I'd like to know how ya get 1500FPS out of it, Fisher. I get 1350 with a 22gr charge of WW296. It is all I want to charge up in a SRH.

I used Somchem S265 @ 24.5gr compressed, seated in lower grove. S265 is South African powder - Its on Quick-Load the recoil is somwhat noticable....

I think S265 might be very simmilar to WW296 I remember a speed around 1350 @ 22gr

I've been trying to convince myself I need a Lee 310GC mold for my Dan Wesson .... Someone convince me I need this mould!

It comes at a price so low that if you end up chucking it in the dust bin, it won't hurt that much. I think chances are very slim that you won't get it to shoot, infact I think you wil be just as supprised as I was.