PDA

View Full Version : what would you keep? purging unneccesary equipment...

snowman
11-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I need to sell some of my reloading equipment...mostly so I can round out what I still need, with proceeds from what I already have doubles of (or simply have no use for in near future).

Here we have a list of what I have...what I need help with is, what would you keep and for what reason.

Presses:

One Redding press (about the same as the RCBS JR)
Two RCBS JR presses

Powder Measurement:

One RCBS Uniflow
One Ideal...well, I dont know what the model # is

Sizers:

Lyman 45
Lyman 450 (I think the decision there was to keep the 450)

Tumbler:

Thumbler's Model B (rotary)
Not sure of brand, but standard vibratory tumbler

Now the big question...do you keep dies and molds for calibers you dont have or guns you dont have? I mean, the obvious answer is to buy a gun in that caliber...but really now, that's just not feasible, plus I'd rather not have too many different calibers to fool around with.

I've just been buying stuff for quite a while, and keep bringing new stuff home...but really need to purge some of it.

NVcurmudgeon
11-12-2006, 07:01 PM
snowman, you can without regret spin off some duplicates of major reloading equipment. However, you will be kicking yourself if you sell dies, or to a slightly lesser degree, moulds. Take it from one who has learned through costly experience, within a year of letting a set of dies go, you will buy or trade into a gun that takes that die set. I've been packing around (not used now) die sets in .223, 6.5 X 55, and 7.65 X 53 for years. What happened? I recently bought a near-pristine 1891 Argentine, and a friend needed my .223 dies. I know there may be a Swedish Mauser in my future so I'm hanging on to those dies too. I did take a chance and let a set of 6mm Rem. dies go about five years ago, but that seems safe, I don't even know anybody who has a 6mm. Disregard this sage advice at your peril, but if you must, FIRST please send me a PM list of your dies and moulds, heh heh.

kodiak1
11-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Snowman what NVcurmudgeon said for sure.
I must have a dozen sets of dies of guns that I have owned and sold and even stuff that I have never owned but may some day.
Remember Someday and never are both very very long times.
Ken.

toecutter
11-13-2006, 12:26 AM
I think I'm in agreement with NVC, dies and so forth tend to have a poor resale value, but a very high utility to those who already own them. Of what you listed, I would probably dump the vibratory tumbler. I recently inherited a thumler's, and I am unlikely to give it up, it polishes much faster, is quieter etc.

As for your powder measures, don't give away the RCBS. You may give away one or two single stage presses, but at least keep one. If you are thinking of dumping your lubesizers, maybe think about switching over to the lee lube-sizers (uses a standard press). They ain't perfect, but sure ain't bad.

If you are thinking of selling stuff, post it on here and give us first grabs.

454PB
11-13-2006, 01:38 AM
I'm in the same boat. My thinking is that I would hate to think a pickup load of my "treasures" ends up at a garage sale, or worse at a landfill because nobody knows what the stuff is. It doesn't bother me to sell reloading dies, the present day dies are cheaper and probably better made than what I have, but moulds is another thing. If you think about it, they actually grow in value. I have Lyman moulds that I bought new for $10 to $15. All you have to do is check flea-bay or even Midway to see where mould prices are trending.

Two years ago I sold 600 pounds of linotype for 30 cents a pound......who would have known what was going to happen to the metals market.

Please post whatever you decide to sell here for your brothers of the silver stream.

jballs918
11-13-2006, 01:59 AM
hell i might as well take one of the jrs lol. i had alot of fun restoring the last one.

Bret4207
11-13-2006, 09:16 AM
If you get rid of both the tumblers, you'll no doubt want to get into lapidary ( or whatever they call polishing rocks) next week. Think long and hard before you get rid of ANYTHING!!!!

arkypete
11-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Back in the 60s there was a guy, Blackhawk, that specialized in trading and selling loading dies, presses, scales and measures.
Sort of a Gun Parts of reloading stuff.
Sems that this would be an interesting business to get into. Even more so if you added casting equipment.
Jim

NVcurmudgeon
11-13-2006, 12:44 PM
I remember Blackhawk. You could trade two used die sets for one. They were OK until it got so you would trade RCBS and get something back that was made in Transylvania or Patagonia by a company you never heard of.

snowman
11-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Well, I by no means want to get to the point where I have to start a business in trading off my old equipment. I just want to sell the extras so that I can buy the remaining equipment that I need (mostly just a couple molds and a set of dies).

I can understand why you say not to sell off dies....but i never see myself needing two sets of 38/357....nor do I even have the desire for 44 mag (which is some of the molds that i have). I will be keeping things like 7.62x39 and 45acp (which I dont have guns for, but plan to at some point).

I just tend to run in to stuff real cheap at auctions or yard sales....and feel like an idiot cause i now have doubles of some things, but none of others.

i'll post it here first...basically just do a search on flea bay for approximate prices...then see if there is any interest here.

Char-Gar
11-13-2006, 06:01 PM
I have no idea how many different sets of dies I own, but I must be set up for something over 50 calibers, maybe many more. I would never get rid of a set of dies, unless they are duplicates. You never know when you might need them. You can load some odd ball calibers by using an assortment of dies for other calibers.

ron brooks
11-13-2006, 06:22 PM
There is no such thing as too much equipment. Just stuff you haven't gotten around to using yet. :)

Ron

Jon K
11-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Ron,

If you decide to purgge the ideal powder measure, pm me.

Jon:coffee:

snowman
11-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Jon...I'm going to. Let me do a little research into prices and I'll get back to ya.

Ringer
11-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Snowman, My Creed is " might need that someday" . You never know. PM me if you sell the Thumlers tumbler. Regards, Ringer

snowman
11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Ok....

Lyman Ideal no 55...no stand (if you want a stand, I'll make one up for $5), $25 + shipping

Thumler's Model B tumbler, $80 + shipping....no belt, if you want me to order the belt I will and add the cost of the belt to the price (shouldn't be more than a couple bucks from mcmaster) (i've been using the vibratory for quite a while, and really like it...I'm not too concerned with speed, as I dont reload too much)

Also have the 45 lubrisizer....I'm gonna say $40 for that

Jon and Ringer have first dibs if they want them...if they dont, I'll post them in the proper forum.

snowman
11-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Ok, I would post it in the proper section, but I only have 16 posts.

snowman
11-13-2006, 09:19 PM
powder measure SPF