PDA

View Full Version : Salvaged Shotgun Slugs

Mashuga
02-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Howdy, I've only been reloading about 4 or 5 years and just starting casting a year ago. I wish I would've started it all 40 years ago. Anyway, the more I do this the more I know how little I know.
One of the ranges I go to is pretty easy to berm mine as it's sand. I only pick the lead and not J stuff as it's a 200 yard walk back with a heavy bucket. I get a lot of shotgun slugs and some cast rifle and handgun. I clean it a bit in a seive and then separate the cast from the shotgun slugs. I've used the cast in several handgun callibers and have no complaints. The slugs I've only smelted into ingots and have several hundred pounds. I don't have any means to test hardness other than scratching them and they do seem softer than the range cast scrap or WW. Aside from casting more shotgun slugs (which I don't reload for) what use would they have? Any idea on what the hardness is on mixed shotgun slugs? Can they be mixed with WW? I also have about 20 lbs or so of salvaged .22 boolits. Anything special about them that they could be used for?
Yes, I'm a scrounger. Thanks.

Frosty Boolit
02-06-2011, 05:12 PM
If I had them I'd mix them half shotgun slug to half wheelweight and use it for .45, .38 or some other low to mid- range pressure load.

stubshaft
02-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Usually I smelt the 22' s and slugs together and call it pure.

jhrosier
02-06-2011, 07:45 PM
I usually melt the slugs with recovered cast boolits and treat the mix as WW.

Jack