PDA

View Full Version : Should I Be Seperating WW's??

Lizard333
02-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I was wondering if I should be melting the tape weights separate from the 'Normal" WW's. I noticed that the the tape weights apear to be a lot softer lead but don't know if it is only because they are much thinner. If I am to separate them when I melt them into ingots, what would be the purpose and what could I use the softer lead for. I am new to this and any help at all would be helpful. Thanks!!:D

bumpo628
02-06-2011, 02:28 PM
You should melt them into ingots separately, but when it's time to cast you can mix them back together. The point of separate smelting is to know what you're putting in the pot. Stick-on WW's are nearly pure lead. Clip-on WW have about 0.5% Tin and about 2% Antimony.

I use a spreadsheet to calculate the final properties of the lead for casting. You want to keep the tin around 0.4% to 0.5% and the antimony at least 1%. Depending on how you mix it, you might need to add extra tin or antimony. Solder is a good source of tin (50/50 or 60/40) and shotgun shot has antimony (5% magnum, 2% chilled).

fredj338
02-06-2011, 03:32 PM
You could throw it all in opne pot, treat it as range scrap, about 8-9BHN depending on the ratios. Most guys, me too, separate so we know what we have. Pure lead can be used to soften ww or lino alloy, for muzzle loader projectiles or making LHP. I use 25-1 lead/tin mix or 50/50 lead/clip ww for LHP.

Taylor
02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
I save the tape on's for muzzle loader.

*Paladin*
02-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I seperate them. The SO's are WAY softer than clip-on WW's.

southpaw
02-06-2011, 11:28 PM
What are you casting for? Do you plan to cast for anything else latter on? At any rate it is alot easier to add it back to the mix latter than to sit there and say "I wish I didn't do that". Separate them out, you can do this while you are smelting them. Just pull out the stick ons as as you see them and while the clip ons are melting you can pick through the bucket and pull out the stick ons, pour some ingots and repeat.

Jerry Jr.

Lizard333
02-07-2011, 08:35 AM
I am going to be casting for 38/357 and 45ACP at first, with the 38/357 going to be the first mold I start with. I will start separating them, and add as needed. Thanks for all of the replies!

HamGunner
02-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Mark them as soon as the ingots are cool so you will know later what you have. I use some cheap metal letter stamps and a small hammer to stamp on "PB" for soft or "WW" for clip-on wheel weights, "LT" for Linotype, etc. As you progress in this hobby, you will want to play around with your alloy and marked ingots will let you know 10-15 years from now what you have.

MoldyJoe
02-15-2011, 07:03 AM
I always separate them as I cast for Black Powder as well. The stick on's work great as is for Round Ball or other Muzzle Loader options. Joe

HeavyMetal
02-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Seperate for sure, if for no other reason than a visual scan for zinc and steel weights.

45 can pretty much use any meltable alloy as can the 38 special but bump up to Magnum velocities and you may want to bump up the BHN number.

Easy to do if you sort and mark