PDA

View Full Version : Ballisti-Cast up for sale

ChuckS1
02-06-2011, 12:40 PM
If true, there goes the last source of the genuine H&G molds. What a shame.

jameslovesjammie
02-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Yup. Check out the front page.

http://ballisti-cast.com/

ANeat
02-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Here is what I found

TO OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS:
The building that hosted Ballisti-Cast Inc. has been sold.
Due to these circumstances we are no longer able to take orders for machines
and bullet molds at this time while we relocate to a new facility.
We are however still able to take orders for replacement parts and supplies.

beagle
02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Would it not be nice if RCBS took over that segment of the operation???/beagle

Baron von Trollwhack
02-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Are they not relocating as they say? BvT

ChuckS1
02-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Swede, here's your chance... :)

frank505
02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
I would sincerely hope that RCBS will not take over the operation, BC does a stupid enough job on their own.

Texasflyboy
02-07-2011, 03:00 PM
If true, there goes the last source of the genuine H&G molds. What a shame.

The last source of "genuine H&G molds" was Wayne Gibbs in September of 1999 when he closed the doors for the final time.

To be precise, Ballisticast was the last source of genuine Hensley & Gibbs designs.

The last name of the mould maker has to be either Hensley or Gibbs for anyone to be able to call the product a "Hensley & Gibbs" mold.

The quality of any mould is directly attributable to the maker of the mould, not the tools used to make the mould. Another way of saying it is: If we could coax Wayne Gibbs out of retirement, we would have more Hensley & Gibbs moulds no matter where he made them or how he made them, because the skill was behind the machine, not in the machine.

FWIW.:D

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Tex,

along that line, do you know what the real name of this Lyman outfit is? Or Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc?

Rich

Catshooter
02-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Idaho,

I know their real names: It's Corporate America. Didn't you get the memo? :)

Cat

nanuk
02-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Texasflyboy: using your logic, to be precise, you would Also need to have Hensley working with Gibbs to make a H&G mould, otherwise you only have a H&G DESIGN make by G!

btroj
02-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Man, you mean Ollie Winchester didn't make my Winchester shotgun. I might have to sue over misleading advertising.

You have your ideas on what a REAL h&g mould is. Great. We appreciate that. But seeing that you are neither H or G who are you to decide?

blackthorn
02-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Quote: “TO OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS:
The building that hosted Ballisti-Cast Inc. has been sold. Due to these circumstances we are no longer able to take orders for machines and bullet molds at this time while we relocate to a new facility. We are however still able to take orders for replacement parts and supplies.”

Did I miss something here? It appears to me that Ballisti-cast has not been sold only the building they were likely renting!! SO-------?

ChuckS1
02-08-2011, 03:12 PM
When you Google Ballisti-Cast, you'll see a "Cached" link to the left of the URL. Click on it and you'd see the following message. The second paragraph is the "looking for a buyer" part.

TO OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS:

The building that hosted Ballisti-Cast Inc. has been sold.
Due to these circumstances we are no longer able to take orders for machines
and bullet molds at this time while we relocate to a new facility.
We are however still able to take orders for replacement parts and supplies.

We are also looking for potential buyers of Ballisti-Cast Inc.
If you are interested please contact Peter Niess at www.plastic@minot.com. Serious inquiries only!

We here at Ballisti-Cast Inc. are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank You

LAH
02-08-2011, 07:05 PM
IMHO Peter did a better job with Ballisti-Cast than Dennis when the company was based in Plaza. I know the moulds I purchased from Peter were much better than the ones Dennis did. Any way it's for sale, any takers?

ANeat
02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
I know the Molds I recieved from Ballisti-cast were super nice

btroj
02-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I only have one but it is a great mould.

Lloyd Smale
02-09-2011, 06:15 AM
ive got both H&G and ballistic cast molds and if anything the ballistic cast are even better. In my opinion theres not a finer mold made. I just hope whoever bought it keeps the quality and service up to the standards that ballistic cast did. there molds werent cheap but when you compared them in quality to some of the other molds out there that cost around the same they were a bargin! They about look like a work of art and are so durable that even a casting offe like me could cast with them a lifetime and still pass them on to the grandkids.

FISH4BUGS
02-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Man, you mean Ollie Winchester didn't make my Winchester shotgun. I might have to sue over misleading advertising.

You have your ideas on what a REAL h&g mould is. Great. We appreciate that. But seeing that you are neither H or G who are you to decide?

Obviously you have no idea the depth of knowledge that TexasFlyBoy has about H&G moulds. His web site, the research, the work he has done over the years about H&G moulds is beyond compare.
Sorry, man....you hit a foul ball on this one. If there is ANYONE that knows H&G moulds it is him.

LAH
02-09-2011, 12:24 PM
ive got both H&G and ballistic cast molds and if anything the ballistic cast are even better. In my opinion theres not a finer mold made. I just hope whoever bought it keeps the quality and service up to the standards that ballistic cast did. there molds werent cheap but when you compared them in quality to some of the other molds out there that cost around the same they were a bargin! They about look like a work of art and are so durable that even a casting offe like me could cast with them a lifetime and still pass them on to the grandkids.

Pretty much agree with my friend to the north.

frankenfab
02-09-2011, 12:28 PM
I have Ballisticast molds in .41, .475, .500, and .512. They are wonderful. They sure turn a pretty color after you use them for a while.

deltaenterprizes
02-09-2011, 01:57 PM
I have eight 4-cavity Ballisti-Cast moulds. Seven of them are perhaps the best casting moulds I own but the most recent is VERY poorly machined !
I have not ordered any more since number eight arrived!

Jerry

VERY nicely done !
http://www.fototime.com/1E185946BE4F652/orig.jpg

NOT so nicely done !
http://www.fototime.com/BEC541F43F47386/standard.jpg

That can be fixed by milling a little off the top with boolits left in the mold. Cast iron machines nicely but chips easily.

deltaenterprizes
02-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean, they can be lapped. I know you should not have to do this for what they charge.

Texasflyboy
02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
NOT so nicely done !

Jerry,

Thanks for posting this. A picture is worth a thousand words which is why I say what I say about Hensley & Gibbs moulds of original manufacture.

Mind if I keep a copy for the website?

Tom in Va.

Toobroke
02-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I stopped by Ballisti Cast on my way home from work today. As stated on the website, the building that houses both Peter Niess Enterprises and Ballisti Cast, along with part of a gravel products company, etc. has been sold and they must all be out of the building by the end of February. Peter has a guy coming coming from Minneapoils this Saturday to talk about purchasing Ballisti Cast. Didn't get into specifics with him, but he did say the guy owns something along the lines of a fishing lure manufacturing business and has lots of experience with those kinds of moulds and thought this would be a natural extension of his business. Peter is auctioning off most of the machines, but he is keeping some for himself. He also told me that Ballisti Cast is NOT part of the auction, and if it doesn't sell, he will keep it and restart it up wherever he ends up; sounds like he is set on leaving North Dakota--don't understand why he wants to leave given our balmy climate and all... He says he will keep the website updated for parts and service contact info as he will continue to support what he has sold until such time if/when Ballisti Cast is sold or he restarts it up wherever he ends up

Lloyd Smale
02-10-2011, 06:33 AM
why dont you just return it?
I have eight 4-cavity Ballisti-Cast moulds. Seven of them are perhaps the best casting moulds I own but the most recent is VERY poorly machined !
I have not ordered any more since number eight arrived!

Jerry

VERY nicely done !
http://www.fototime.com/1E185946BE4F652/orig.jpg

NOT so nicely done !
http://www.fototime.com/BEC541F43F47386/standard.jpg

MakeMineA10mm
02-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I agree with Lloyd, but at this point, with them shut down while they're looking for a new building to move into (and possibly, depending on what happens, not at all) it's a little late now. I suppose the only choice at this point in time is to deal with it/accept it, or try lapping...

I agree 100%. For their price, they should be perfect, not like this... :sad:

The bases do not bother me as much as the fact that all four of the cavities are VERY rough and have
tear-out !

I love all of the moulds but this one ! The bullets shoot okay but when you spend the high price they charge I expect better workmanship !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/A28D623EA11BC71/standard.jpg

ballisti-cast
08-27-2011, 05:08 PM
To get the record straight ballisti-cast purchased the H & G cutting cherries when H & G closed. We make all of the old H & G molds along with several new designs and custom molds.

quasi
08-27-2011, 09:29 PM
To get the record straight ballisti-cast purchased the H & G cutting cherries when H & G closed. We make all of the old H & G molds along with several new designs and custom molds.

so you are not out of buissness?

LAH
08-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Purchased my first machine & moulds from the shop at Dennis. My last moulds & lube came from Peter. So tell us who you are, etc so we can do some business. The Ballist-Cast name is mostly good here.

Question: How many mould are you able to cut from a cherrie before it needs replaced?

MakeMineA10mm
08-28-2011, 11:05 PM
so you are not out of buissness?

Purchased my first machine & moulds from the shop at Dennis. My last moulds & lube came from Peter. So tell us who you are, etc so we can do some business. The Ballist-Cast name is mostly good here.

Question: How many mould are you able to cut from a cherrie before it needs replaced?

If you guys click on the ballisti-cast user name and select "find other posts by this user," you will find a thread where he introduces himself by name and gives a few other details of the new ownership and operation of Ballisti-Cast. Sounds promising, I must say! (I have a Ballisti-Cast and may get it back up and running again now...)

:mrgreen:

LAH
08-29-2011, 09:29 AM
If you guys click on the ballisti-cast user name and select "find other posts by this user," you will find a thread where he introduces himself by name and gives a few other details of the new ownership and operation of Ballisti-Cast. Sounds promising, I must say! (I have a Ballisti-Cast and may get it back up and running again now...)

:mrgreen:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

arthury
07-11-2012, 11:25 AM
So, it is middle of 2012 now.
And, their website is still up.
Are they still in business or out?

Moonie
07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Yes, the new owner is very active here and they are a site sponsor.

Note the advert at the top of this page.

dmize
07-12-2012, 01:20 AM
I dont care who owns the name,at THAT price range there a LOT of companies,not to mention smaller that offer very good products at MUCH lower prices...MiHec comes to mind REALLY fast and NOE is biting at his heels.
Steel is steel,brass is brass,aluminum is aluminum and there arent that many companies making CNC machines or even simple lathes.
Made In America should not automatically equal a 50% price premium

jameslovesjammie
07-12-2012, 01:58 AM
dmize,

Check out this group buy he did for us. I don't think $120 for a 4 cavity of YOUR CHOICE is overpriced. Ballisti-cast has probably made more oders in this one group buy than they have since H&G closed their doors.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=145899

finishman2000
07-12-2012, 06:26 AM
I dont care who owns the name,at THAT price range there a LOT of companies,not to mention smaller that offer very good products at MUCH lower prices...MiHec comes to mind REALLY fast and NOE is biting at his heels.
Steel is steel,brass is brass,aluminum is aluminum and there arent that many companies making CNC machines or even simple lathes.

funny but how many names on that list of yours make steel molds?
you should say "steel is steel and everything else isn't"
for me 50% more for a mold that will last a lifetime and be worth more than new when sold 40 years from now,,,is a heck of a deal.
how many listed will make a 10 cavity mold? they may be "very good products" but they aren't equal.

Moonman
07-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Mike Sand is doing a good job, ESPECIALLY EVEN LISTENING AND ACTING ON SUGGESTIONS FROM THIS FORUMS MEMBERS AND CUSTOMERS.

The Ballisti-Cast IRON molds are really nice.

finishman2000
07-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Mike is doing a great job! He has more work than hours in day.

mstarling
07-12-2012, 07:57 AM
I must say that I own original H&G molds and Ballisti-Cast molds. One might argue the finest points of quality between the two ... but only Miha's molds in the group buys here come even close to either.

I would be most interested in whether or not the #8 mold shown earlier was ever fixed by Ballisti-cast. That kinda thing should NEVER happen!

paul h
07-12-2012, 12:51 PM

I'd say unless you've cast from a mehanite balisticast mold, you should not be so quick to make such a statement. I've had molds from most makers, and IMHO the H&G mold design is the best of them all. How many molds do you have that when the sprue plate is properly adjusted you can rotate the mold handles and the sprue plate will open under it's own weight?

I've mostly gone to aluminum molds due to cost savings, but in my experience mehanite is the best material to make a mold out of due to it's heat properties, machineability and longevity.

quasi
07-12-2012, 02:39 PM
H&G always made the best molds available, and they used cast iron,, not brass or aluminum. I assume there was a reason for that.

jameslovesjammie
07-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I must say that I own original H&G molds and Ballisti-Cast molds. One might argue the finest points of quality between the two ... but only Miha's molds in the group buys here come even close to either.

I would be most interested in whether or not the #8 mold shown earlier was ever fixed by Ballisti-cast. That kinda thing should NEVER happen!

I would be curiuos as well.

It should be noted, however, that that mould was made when Ballisti-cast was owned by Neiss in Minot, ND, NOT current owner Mike Sand.

MikeS
07-12-2012, 08:57 PM
It should be noted, however, that that mould was made when Ballisti-cast was owned by Neiss in Minot, ND, NOT current owner Mike Sand.

And that brings up the issue if the current owner (Mike Sand) should be responsible for fixing poorly made moulds by the previous owner or not. I would think that he shouldn't be responsible for moulds he didn't make, but if he did go ahead an fix a screwup from before the company was his, that would show a real sense of customer service on his part!

ballisti-cast
07-13-2012, 07:12 AM
I don't want any bad molds or equipment out there. I've only came across 3 instance since July and replaced the bad work. If you have a mold that you received from Ballisti-Cast that was of unsatisfactory quality let me know so I can fix it.

Moonie
07-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I don't want any bad molds or equipment out there. I've only came across 3 instance since July and replaced the bad work. If you have a mold that you received from Ballisti-Cast that was of unsatisfactory quality let me know so I can fix it.

And I had a feeling this would be the answer. :guntootsmiley: :2 drunk buddies:

frank505
07-14-2012, 07:21 PM
I ordered a four cavity #926 mold. We shall see.........................the single cavity recut done some years ago shot long range like it had GPS guidance.

gray wolf
07-15-2012, 11:05 AM
If you have a mold that you received from Ballisti-Cast that was of unsatisfactory quality let me know so I can fix it.
I don't think you can get better than this, Unless he said he would do the work on one foot and sing a song of your choice.
I wish he took time payment so I could get a mold from him.

Sam

HDS
07-27-2012, 12:51 AM
I am looking forward to the next ballisti-cast group buy. I have not yet owned an iron mould. Brass is a fantastic material in my experience, I get the impression that iron might be even more pleasant to cast with.