PDA

View Full Version : 43 Spanish musings

Nobade
02-06-2011, 08:47 AM
The thread elsewhere regarding the 43 Spanish got me thinking. I have a rolling block rifle chambered for this round, with a very worn and pitted chamber. The correct brass cases are rather expensive, and I doubt they would hold up well in my rifle. If I wanted to shoot this rifle (which I don't because I doubt the worn bore would give very good results) I could turn a case maybe an inch long that fit properly, and use it as a muzzle loader. (Or just use a cut off normal case) That solves the brass problem, only have to buy one. Load enough powder or powder and filler to make sure the bullet is in the bore and not in the chamber, and you're good to go. If I use paper patch bullets I normally wipe between shots anyway, so not much time is lost repriming the one case.

Just an idea for people who would wish to use a rifle they can't get brass cases for. I woke up this morning contemplating a Sharps rifle with a 45 caliber barrel chambered for 45 Auto Rim just to use in this way.

Freightman
02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Put a new barrel on it caliber of your choice you will like it, love my roller!

Kraschenbirn
02-06-2011, 12:02 PM
... If I wanted to shoot this rifle (which I don't because I doubt the worn bore would give very good results) I could turn a case maybe an inch long that fit properly, and use it as a muzzle loader. (Or just use a cut off normal case) That solves the brass problem, only have to buy one. Load enough powder or powder and filler to make sure the bullet is in the bore and not in the chamber, and you're good to go...

Tried this technique about 40 years ago shooting patched round balls in a .43 Egyptian Roller. Was suggested to me by a fellow CW reenactor who'd picked it up from someone shooting, as I recall(?), an M71 Mauser. Works okay once you've worked out your powder charge and boolit seating depth. (I made a stainless steel ramrod with an adjustable stop collar to ensure that I didn't push the boolit back into the chamber neck.) Used cut down .348 Win. cases and would de-prime/reprime in the field with a Lee Loader.

Bill

missionary5155
02-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Greetings
Breach seat a fat boolit using a metal seater tool. Tilt muzzle down & fill with 2f. Insert sawed off brass head. If you want to get a bit more industrial form paper cartriges and insert those rather than lose powder. The deeper you seat the boolit the more powder you can insert. It does not take much to get to having 44-90 to pop corn crunchers with.