PDA

View Full Version : Porting a SBH 7.5 ???

BackWoods Billy
02-06-2011, 02:54 AM
I would like to know,what your thoughts are on porting a SBH 7.5" ? I like to shoot heavy Boolits with about 21.5 gns. H110. Thanks.

44man
02-06-2011, 08:42 AM
I would like to know,what your thoughts are on porting a SBH 7.5" ? I like to shoot heavy Boolits with about 21.5 gns. H110. Thanks.
Way too noisy and not needed in the heavy SBH anyway. I also don't know the effect on a cast boolit.
One session with a .475 and you will wonder where the .44 recoil went! [smilie=1:

bobthenailer
02-06-2011, 10:55 AM
i have several pistol with magnaport / muzzel brakes / compensators. for a 44 mag its not nessary! . to make the above venting to be the most effective, a lighter bullet and more powder make them more efficant but louder.

white eagle
02-06-2011, 11:53 AM
shoot Bill save yer money
that's a powder puff load
not bad a tall
seriously though personally I think its a bad idea
just making it louder and you may not really fix what you are trying to

targetshootr
02-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Ported guns are hard to resell. And they charge you for it.

stubshaft
02-06-2011, 03:58 PM
I made a 6 1/2" snubbie out of an old Contender barrel that my friend had given me. He used to shoot 21.0 296 behind a 265gr NEI hardcast boolit. He wasn't getting acceptable accuracy out of it and the area along the side of the front sight adjacent to the ports had lead particles plated on it.

Cutting the ported section off and splitting the barrel gave me a chance to inspect the ports. I was able to see that one of the ports had been cut into the rifling groove and was shaving the boolit. There was leading directly ahead of it.

It also enabled me to assess the effeciency of the porting and I did not detect any difference in felt recoil. While this in and of itself is not a definitive test, it did not seem to me to be worth the money he paid to have it done.

By the way, that snubbie now shoots into 2" @ 50yds all day long with the same load.

Save your money and spend it on reloading.

BackWoods Billy
02-06-2011, 04:04 PM
"One session with a .475 and you will wonder where the .44 recoil went!"
The recoil is nothing on that SBH mostly sence it has a scope too.I was thinking about the lift and it might keep that down a lot. I've been reading a bunch about the .475 and now I want one.Thanks...LOL..

454PB
02-06-2011, 04:57 PM
The only ported gun I own is a Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull. In my opinion, the porting is a PITA. It increases the noise level, spits particles out the ports, and presents more cleaning problems as the lube and powder residue builds.

Really fun to shoot under a metal cover like we have at the range I use, and I don't see where it reduces recoil at all.

Viper225
02-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks Whitworth

I did not look close enough to start with, I thought it was a SRH, not a SBH. No Matter it does not recoil that hard. I would not put up with the added noise.

Whitworth
02-06-2011, 08:42 PM
The 44 SRH is a ***** cat. I would NEVER port one. What I will do is add Houge "Tamer" Grips, and a Marble Fiber Optic front sight. (If anyone ever gets them back in stock) If you really need to play with it. Do a little light polishing, and play with some Wolfe Springs.
Do Not go putting any holes in the barrel making it noiser.

I sold a buddy my completed 44 Mag SRH with 30mm Ultra Dot to hog hunt with. I kept both of my 480 Rugers. I thought they recoiled hard when I got the first one. I think you are just expecting it to really recoil. They are not that bad anymore.

He is talking SBH not SRH......

Don't waste your money on porting. It shouldn't kick badly.

ironhead7544
02-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I had a Mag-Na-Ported SBK with a six inch barrel. Tamed the recoil down to 357 mag level. The SBK is the only ported handgun that was effective for me. A friend had a M29 done about the same time. I couldnt tell the difference on the DA. If the recoil doesnt bother you now, dont bother getting it ported. On iron sighted short barrel SBHs I think its worth it.

Heavy lead
02-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Well, I've got two SBH's, one new model not ported, and one really nice 3 screw that is in excellent shape except for some moron ported it, anyway, I don't notice any difference at all, luckily it doesn't hinder cast shooting at all. I would not do it, I fire everything from mild to wild in my SBH's too.
Course I did pick up the Old Model for 350, I would figure that 100 dollar porting job cost him the 100 bucks, plus another 100 to 200 in resale.

Potsy
02-07-2011, 12:47 AM
In my very limited personal experience, barrels should have only one hole, lengthwise, centered, and all the way through.