PDA

View Full Version : 441 diameter straight sided

giz189
02-06-2011, 02:03 AM
When I patch this boolit with my paper, it comes to .451 which will work okay. However, I do not do much target shooting and these will be used for hunting except initial sight in and some plinking around to check sights occasionally. The question I have is, these boolits are so loose, they will definitely pull out if unfired and unloading and probably will be loose enough to move forward just walking with barrel pointed down. Full length sized case 70 grs FFG cookie and 2 030 veg wads. How do I keep the boolit from moving out of the case?

Don McDowell
02-06-2011, 11:39 AM
If you resize the cases, with no flaring etc, the bullets should be tight enough to stay in the case, if not try a very light taper crimp, but that can lead to the dreaded paper rings and cause chambering and accuracy problems.
You can also try taking a dap of lube on your finger tip and swiping it lightly around the case mouth after the bullet is seated, that sometimes helps keep the bullet in place.

Lead pot
02-06-2011, 12:45 PM
If your bullet is .451 it should not freely slide down the barrel by it's self unless your bore groove is way over sized.

Don McDowell
02-06-2011, 05:59 PM
One other thing you can do to keep neck tension on your patched bullets , is to cut down some 2 7/8 brass, you won't be able to seat a grease groove , but it does make for good patched cases, and ordering say 20 from Jamison would give you plenty for hunting.

giz189
02-07-2011, 12:10 AM
If your bullet is .451 it should not freely slide down the barrel by it's self unless your bore groove is way over sized. You are correct and I don't think it will, but how many other people do you know that got blown up from picking up a styrofoam minnow bucket with gun powder in it. If it is gonna happen, it will happen to me.[smilie=l:

powderburnerr
02-07-2011, 11:52 AM
giz189 ,
That is scary
if you are that lucky , you ought to just stay in bed and read a book.
You are talking about unloading the rifle a lot and leaving bullets , you might think about seating the bullets deeper in the case for hunting .
mostly what is discussed here about patching bullets is done with the vision of a single shot rifle in competition , hunting ammo is put together a little different and sturdier.a good taper crimp on a hunting bullet that is going to be with drawn a lot will do wonders . but you need to work it out so the next couple chamber as well ,

Don McDowell
02-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I actually prefer this bullet for hunting , it starts out with a base diameter of .435, then rolled in hp lazer printer paper its final base diameter is right at .450, the smaller diameter nose helps with chambering successive shots without fouling control and it shoots well enough to the 300 yd line. I use a slight taper crimp with the base of the bullet seated just below the case mouth.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/paperpatch.jpg

I should add that ejecting a live round from the chamber after firing previous rounds may involve either a wiping rod to remove the chambered bullet or carefully reinserting the case and firing as a chamber seated round.

bigted
02-21-2011, 08:29 AM
don...what mould did those beutys come from? whats tha weight also? im treading on dangerous ground as you know. maybe i should just be happy without the pp experience.......naaaa go ahead n tell me. i just been over at the swaging section here and all they wanna talk about is those jackets n such so didnt get much of an education for the swaging thing so think ill gather what i need for a cast pp boolit n give her a try.

Don McDowell
02-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Ted that's the .435 mould from Old West. The mould is adjustable and will go from about 470 grs to friggin huge...
His creedmoor design at .441 would be a good dual purpose bullet, that one is adjustable as well and I have set my .444 version as low as 400 grs.

RMulhern
02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
griz189

Hmmmm....what kind of 'contraption'....are you shooting??

bigted
02-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Ted that's the .435 mould from Old West. The mould is adjustable and will go from about 470 grs to friggin huge...
His creedmoor design at .441 would be a good dual purpose bullet, that one is adjustable as well and I have set my .444 version as low as 400 grs.

couple questions so as to show me igorence;

old west?

adjustable mould?

my larnin is just startin i recon.

ahhhhhhh never mind...think i found em and am gonna fire a mail off to em for some more info...thanks as always don...you guys are a bounty of info and help.

Ted

Don McDowell
02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
http://www.oldwestbulletmoulds.com/
Adjsutable means it's nose pour and has a base plug you can screw in or out to change the length of the bullet.

Bullshop
02-23-2011, 01:03 AM
When loading ammo for hunting and using a bore diameter pp boolit I size a portion of the case neck in a 45 colt die then bell the mouth with the 45 colt belling die.
You will then have a very tight fit.

Don McDowell
02-23-2011, 01:39 AM
I've snugged the loaded round up a tad, by running it into my 45 colt size die until it hits a bit of resistance, haven't had any problems with the bullets falling out while in the cartridge belt.

giz189
02-26-2011, 01:38 AM
griz189

Hmmmm....what kind of 'contraption'....are you shooting??

Well, errr, uhhh, ahhh, oooo, well it ain't what I want, just all I could afford for now.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I think I have got it so it will work for hunting, which is all I am doing with it.

RMulhern
02-26-2011, 09:10 AM
giz189

Not knocking ya 'contraption'; just it helps oft times if others know what rifle you're shooting to assist a reply back!!

giz189
03-01-2011, 12:42 AM
giz189

Not knocking ya 'contraption'; just it helps oft times if others know what rifle you're shooting to assist a reply back!! Rick, it is an 1871 Buffalo Classic.

Don McDowell
03-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Nothing wrong with that rifle for a hunting or short/midrange target gun. Would be better if they adapted a tang to it so a person could mount good target sights on it.

giz189
03-02-2011, 03:37 AM
Nothing wrong with that rifle for a hunting or short/midrange target gun. Would be better if they adapted a tang to it so a person could mount good target sights on it. This is true. I replaced the rear sight with a Williams and it is a better sight. Have thought about installing a tang sight on it, but don't know if I will.