PDA

View Full Version : Noob first smelt

SkookumJeff
02-06-2011, 12:54 AM
After months and months of studying, weeks and weeks of collecting equipment, I finally set up and conducted my first smelting session today. I was using lead window sash weights I purchased to smelt down. I don't have a smelting ladle and substituted my Lyman casting ladle to pour muffin tin ingots. It worked 'ok' on the small muffin tin mould but not so well for the medium sized muffin moulds, I had to pour each mould in a couple of pours. Is this a problem for the ingot? I'm too ignerint to tell.

I think I got my lead too hot. I was skimming a metallic cottage cheese looking material off the surface of the molten lead. After the initial skimming, I thought I would be done. But after some time, it seemed like this material would build up again on the surface of the molten lead and if I left it alone it would interfere with dipping my casting ladle in, clogging the ladle. I felt like I had to skim it off again. It also seemed to form around my Lyman ladle & was difficult to scrap off if it cooled a little. Is this just lead? I would have left it alone except it was difficult to pour ingots with this material on the surface of the molten lead in the pot.

I was using a combination of black walnut and maple sawdust from my table saw to flux the material with. Seemed to work ok, but what do I know? Question - I was stirring the flux in as best as I could with a wooden stick. Stirring it into the molten lead...is this right? It was cool how it would smoke and then burst into a little fire ball. Love it. Not sure I was doing everything right, but I was having a heck of a good time after my nerves settled down a bit. I think I got my lead too hot, it turned a greenish or golden color? After fluxing it would be rainbow colored for a short time, then that would fade out. I don't have my thermometer yet, I wish I had it & don't think I'll try smelting more until I get it.

I smelted for a couple of hours and only poured a couple of muffin tins before shutting down to evaluate what I'm doing. Everything seemed to go OK but I wasn't certain about overheating my lead and uncertainty about whether I was skimming dross or lead. Once I get my thermometer, I'll give it another shot. I'm considering remelting all the ingots I poured today to get more consistent ingots. One thing I'll say in closing. I have Lymans Cast Boolit Handbook 3rd ed. I've read it a couple of times. I've been cherry picking this site for months, also the LASC site. Yet once I started, I STILL felt like I hadn't spent enough time studying. This is one heck of a complicated activity! When I got everything cleaned up and put away today, I told a few buddies - I didn't burn myself...I didn't burn my clothes...and I didn't set my house on fire.

I figure it was a successful first smelt. Its a start anyway, finally. :-D

Oh! One more question. Does anyone use tongs or some other tool, to drop lead into the melting pot once molten lead is in it? Seems dangerous to use my hand to tenderly drop chunks of lead into the smelting pot once it's up to temp, even with gloves on. I'm thinking some heavy tongs or pliers would be safer?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate this forum and the people who participate in it.

lwknight
02-06-2011, 01:37 AM
It sounds like you did get the lead hotter than you need to. The cottage cheese stuff could be zinc. I said could be zinc. If the ingots are fairly soft then there is no zinc. It could just be stuff burning off your new pot or even the wood chips mixing and holding some lead.
Liquid flux like candle wax will never fail you and it will release the lead from other junk in the melt.

If there is any zinc whatsoever in the lead , the ingots will be harder than the law allows within 3 days. They will ring like an iron anvil.

Oh yea , get some quality welders gloves. You can get full cuff lined gloves for about eight bucks if you shop around.

SkookumJeff
02-06-2011, 02:54 AM
~ Oh yea , get some quality welders gloves. You can get full cuff lined gloves for about eight bucks if you shop around.

Thanks for the comment. I had long lined leather welders gloves on most of the time, got em at one of those discount tool shops. They run about 2/3'rd of the way to my elbow & I like em. I also got a face mask at that tool store. I've never seen a mask like the one I have now. It has the adjustable head harness and the mask swivels up over my head when I don't want it in front of my face. What's unique to me about this mask is it comes with two face shields, a clear plastic/acrylic face shield, and a stainless steel fine mesh shield. I love the mesh face shield, doesn't fog up and protects my face pretty well.

The ingots thunk pretty good when they hit concrete. The source lead was/is window sash weights, NOT wheel weights. If there is zinc in the alloy, I don't know what the source would be. The lead is very soft, it was sold as pure lead. Sounds like I should flux at least once with wax. Oh yeah, I should mention the initial material I'm skimming off forms on the surface before I fluxed. I fluxed after skimming as much of that material off the surface as I could get...

lwknight
02-06-2011, 03:25 AM
If I'm understanding right , you get the cottage cheesy stuff even after fluxing and skimming? Thats why I thought that it could have been some zinc in it.
Anyway not to worry if they are not hard like iron. Still there could be who knows what in the alloy but , the blue purple suggests pure lead and high melting temp.

*Paladin*
02-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Please! Get your fryer away from that gas can in the top-right of the pic, no smelt is worth blowing yourself up for...:drinks:

SkookumJeff
02-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Please! Get your fryer away from that gas can in the top-right of the pic, no smelt is worth blowing yourself up for...:drinks:

Yeah, I saw that after I posted the pic. Not good. I didn't notice it sitting there while I was smelting. Guess I had a 'senior moment'....starting to have a few of those lately....

I don't want this to reflect badly on the forum, safety is important, so I digitally moved the gas can away...:coffeecom

*Paladin*
02-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I saw that after I posted the pic. Not good. I didn't notice it sitting there while I was smelting. Guess I had a 'senior moment'....starting to have a few of those lately....

I don't want this to reflect badly on the forum, safety is important, so I digitally moved the gas can away...:coffeecom

LOL! Hey, I have lot's of those senior moments and I'm only 37! I was out in the garage smoking a cigar the other day and happened to be working up a .45 load. I started throwing charges while smoking, without even thinking about it. I can be a real dumb-*** at times! :groner:

elixin77
02-07-2011, 12:36 AM
If there is any zinc whatsoever in the lead , the ingots will be harder than the law allows within 3 days. They will ring like an iron anvil.

What law is this? or is this a TX only law?

lwknight
02-07-2011, 01:40 AM
I guess that would be the law of reason.

Suo Gan
02-07-2011, 02:13 AM
I think you did good pardner! I really don't worry too much about heat if I am using something other than ww. In fact I use my weed burner to help melt it faster. Sometimes you get a hunk of lead with some weird coating or paint and it does strange things to the colors on top of the melt. If you were using sash weights you did not have zinc contamination. It sounds like you did everything as you should have to me. The only thing I can recommend is to make yourself a tin can ladle for scooping lead from your pot to the ingot mold. I bought two Rowell ladles but now always use my homemade ladle because it is better (at least to me). I just got an old file handle, a foot and a half long piece of all thread, bent the allthread in the shape of a lazy "S"
*******************----(((((((((((
*******************/
******************/
*****************/
*******______***/
*******|****|------
*******|****|
*******UUUUU
************_______________************
************|IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII|************
************|LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL|************
************|OOOOOOOOOOO|************
************|VVVVVVVVVVVVVV|************
************|PPPPPPPPPPPPPP|************
************|BBBBBBBBBBBBBB|************

I reinforced the rim of the mandarin orange can I used for the dipper bowl with a piece of cheap flat steel I had laying around. I bent it in a circle to match the rim diameter of the can and I drilled through the steel and through the cup and put a nut on the inside and a double nut on the outside and crimped it down hard. It is still going strong after thousands of pounds of alloy. I bent the can so it would pour properly.

Anyway, way more complex sounding now that I have it all typed out, and it took more time to type that than make the ladle and it cost me very little money as it was all scrap parts. A larger pot may come in handy later, just keep your eyes peeled for a good deal somewhere.

******************************"So, you want some lead!?"
********************************* /
*********************************/
********___ *******___*********___
******__|___|__**__|___|__***__|___|__
********/(-- ******* /(-- ******** /(oo
******* \~-~*******\~-~******* \~o~
********|*|\*********/*/\*********\*\\***** ______.
********|*||********/*/*|**********|\*\___~(_]----'---------------------))>
_____......_ |*|| _____.....--- \*\*| ----....______ |_\
********|_||*********\_\|*********| ||
********))\|*********|))\**********\_/|
********\_/|*********\_/|**********|*|
********|*|**********|*|**********|*|
********|__|*********|__|*********|__|
********|___>*******|___>*******|___>

gray wolf
02-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Can someone esplane what all the jyroglifics are.
Man that hurt my eyes.

lwknight
02-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I see a casting ladle over a pot on top and a rat-a-tat-tat below.

a.squibload
02-18-2011, 04:05 AM
... Oh yeah, I should mention the initial material I'm skimming off forms on the surface before I fluxed. I fluxed after skimming as much of that material off the surface as I could get...

I'm thinking you should flux first, skimming before fluxing could be removing tin or other good stuff?

WILCO
02-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Man that hurt my eyes.

Looks like a gunslinger sending some lead down range to someone else needing it. :popcorn:

Doby45
02-18-2011, 10:25 AM
As my RO said during our shotgun qualifying course. "There is nothing better than sending one ounce chunks of love and understanding down range!"

bumpo628
02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Man that hurt my eyes.

The casting pot in the top pic says "I love Pb"