PDA

View Full Version : 310 tool

wgr
02-05-2011, 09:02 PM
any one know were i can find a complet list of the lyman 310 loading tools? thinks bill

StrawHat
02-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Might be something here.

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

Green Frog
02-06-2011, 04:00 PM
any one know were i can find a complet list of the lyman 310 loading tools? thinks bill

There is a group, loosely associated with the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors' Association, that is currently working on a project to assemble as much information about the 310 tools and their predecessors as can be found. You will probably hear from some of them on this thread, and in addition can find some charts of the dies, etc. on links from this site. I'm not too sure how to get to them, but if you go back in the archived threads of this site and look at the various ones mentioning 310, you should be able to find what you need. If you fail in that, drop me a PM and I'll track it down for you. BTW, I am putting the finishing touches on a chart of as many of the 310 die code numbers as I can get together, and there are a couple of charts that go the other way (from caliber to number) that have been assembled from several of the old Ideal Handbooks that are also floating around. If you need them, be sure and send me your e-mail as the file is too large to send through PM.

Froggie

Pressman
02-06-2011, 06:38 PM
FROGGIE, I thought you had all the charts finished? Have you seen the draft writeup?

If I had WGR'semail I could send him the PDF's Doug made from the various Lyman catalogs. Little does he know how complicated his question is.

Ken

Green Frog
02-07-2011, 09:28 AM
FROGGIE, I thought you had all the charts finished? Have you seen the draft writeup?

If I had WGR'semail I could send him the PDF's Doug made from the various Lyman catalogs. Little does he know how complicated his question is.

Ken

Unfortunately, I don't think those charts will ever be finished in my lifetime. [smilie=b: They still have holes, which seem to indicate calibers or variations for which a very few dies were made, and which did not make any list I have been able to find. It remains for some of our happy band to find individual dies and identify them (like Al and others have done recently) to slowly finish filling one hole at a time. :groner:

The good news is that current iterations of the chart make it easy to identify common caliber dies and further to identify which ones are really rare. :brokenima This is a big help most of the time. I've seen the draft write-up and it is good enough that it may tip me over the edge to join yet another organization (ARTCA.) :coffeecom

Regards,
Froggie

georgewxxx
02-07-2011, 10:13 AM

I scanned this from a Ideal handbook and posted them.

http://www.sodcity.com/gallery2/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Cartridge-Springfield-pictures-etc&id=310_chart

scrapcan
02-07-2011, 12:31 PM
"Little does he know how complicated his question is."

Boy isn't that the statement of the day!!

such a simple question with a huge answer.

wgr
02-07-2011, 03:45 PM
"Little does he know how complicated his question is."

such a simple question with a huge answer.

sorry guys didnt know how big this thing was

scrapcan
02-07-2011, 06:09 PM
wgr,

did you see pressman's post, if you send him your email address you will have a heap of info available.

I was not versed in the many variations of this simple little tool, until some of these guys above started opening my eyes. It can be as complicated as one wants to get, I can assure you of that.

If you are interested in the chronology, variations, and use you might want to join ARTCA as I believe there will be a series of articles in the near future that will delve into this interesting topic.

mister gizmo
02-17-2011, 10:45 AM
I think the 310 shop is still around. Helped me a bunch with parts and ID.

www.the310shop.com

Then again, I see his domain name expired last month. Anyone know what happened to Randy Davis?

scrapcan
02-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Floogate or Pressman can fill you in on the where abouts of Randy. He sold the Business a year or two ago to the current owner who is also doing a great job of keeping us in these tools.

Green Frog
02-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Floogate or Pressman can fill you in on the where abouts of Randy. He sold the Business a year or two ago to the current owner who is also doing a great job of keeping us in these tools.

Try this;

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

This is the successor to Randy's operation.

" 'Little does he know how complicated his question is.'

such a simple question with a huge answer."

And we haven't even started in on the Ideal #1-10 tools that birthed the 310!! :bigsmyl2:

"sorry guys didnt know how big this thing was"

WGR, don't be sorry... some of us live to talk about this stuff!! :coffeecom

scrapcan
02-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Froggie,

I forgot to put the new owner, Rick Morrill, in my previous post. Thanks for getting the link up.

WGR,

As Froggie said, some of these guys live, eat, breathe, and sleep these tools. Me I get lost with all the learning! You might as well jump in and enjoy the fun.

floodgate
02-26-2011, 10:39 PM
"...And we haven't even started in on the Ideal #1-10 tools that birthed the 310!!..."

Just to add to the fun - and the potential to make a name for yourself - Ideal never listed a No. 9 tool. But that does NOT mean there never was one, so keep your eyes open!

As to the die codes, #6 is blank in all the lists; but another collector turned up a single-adjustable seating die so-marked, and a Cerrosafe casting suggests it was for a .25 caliber wildcat on the .30-40 Krag case that never made it into regular production. And no, it wasn't a "9" read upside-down, as that one was for the .25-25 Stevens and much smaller in body diameter.

floodgate

Wayne Smith
02-28-2011, 09:27 AM
"...And we haven't even started in on the Ideal #1-10 tools that birthed the 310!!..."

Just to add to the fun - and the potential to make a name for yourself - Ideal never listed a No. 9 tool. But that does NOT mean there never was one, so keep your eyes open!

As to the die codes, #6 is blank in all the lists; but another collector turned up a single-adjustable seating die so-marked, and a Cerrosafe casting suggests it was for a .25 caliber wildcat on the .30-40 Krag case that never made it into regular production. And no, it wasn't a "9" read upside-down, as that one was for the .25-25 Stevens and much smaller in body diameter.

floodgate

FWIW
The .25 Krag AI 40 degree or the original .25 Krag were and still are somewhat popular wildcats. RCBS makes dies for them.