PDA

View Full Version : Anybody used the 30 major chambering?

Houndog
02-05-2011, 08:03 PM
I went by the local black rifle shop today to get a barreled action blued and the owner showed me a dummy 30 major round. It's a 7.62X39 blown out with a 40 degree shoulder and looks like something good for a 130-150GR cast boolet round. I've been gathering parts for a 30 or 35BR cast boolet rifle, but since I've got enough 7.62X39 Remington small primer pocket brass to keep my great-great grandchildren supplied, this might be the way to go. Any help is appreciated.

KYCaster
02-05-2011, 10:47 PM
A local guy showed me something similar about four years ago. He necked up 6.5 Grendel to .30 cal. I don't know the specifics of his load, but it makes major PF.

The army's three gun team showed up at the '09 USPSA multi-gun nationals with the same thing...they call it "30 Gremlin". Daniel Horner ran away from the rest of the pack with his.

Their load is reported to be 125 gr Ballistic Tips at ~2650 fps.

Seems to me to be kind of an expensive proposition if you're paying for your own ammo.

Have fun!
Jerry

BTW....would you be willing to part with a couple hundred pcs of that Rem. brass?

Smoke-um if you got-um
02-06-2011, 01:44 AM
That sounds like a 30 cal. round the Hunter benchrest shooters has been using in their Varmit for Score class. It has been super accurate and is giving the 6ppc crowd a run for their money when trying to hit a 1/16" dot at 100 yds. They have been using it for several years but I can't remember what they call it.

Houndog
02-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Ky Caster,
I went down to the storage building to get you some brass and it's ALL gone except for 2 20 round boxes! To say I'm POed is an understatement! My pot head nephew stole about 3K worth of brass and bullets to support his habit. He's in for a severe ass whoopin and a trip to the iron bar hotel! I'll send you the 2 boxes if it'll help you out. Sorry I can't do better

Houndog

Houndog
02-06-2011, 07:48 PM
That sounds like a 30 cal. round the Hunter benchrest shooters has been using in their Varmit for Score class. It has been super accurate and is giving the 6ppc crowd a run for their money when trying to hit a 1/16" dot at 100 yds. They have been using it for several years but I can't remember what they call it.

Around here they use the 30br for score matches. It will even give a decent accounting for itself in short range group shooting, but is harder to control than a 6mm or 22.

KYCaster
02-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Thanks for looking Houndog. I have enough for my load tests so I'm OK for now.

Jerry