PDA

View Full Version : Corbin .22lr Swaging problems...

badluther
02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
a3fd2

ANeat
02-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Seating the core a little deeper/harder should bump up the size a little more. But before you do that make sure youre measuring correctly. A good .0001 mic is the best bet.

What do you mean by the bullet wont "fit" It shouldnt just slide into place, its an interference fit between the bullet and the case.

And thats with "any" bullet

A slight chamfer on the case will help the bullet sit there as it goes up into the bullet seating die.

The seating die will get the bullet into the neck of the case

BwBrown
02-06-2011, 01:48 AM
I might not be reading the question right :

If the finished bullet is .223 - .001 smaller - it seems that it would be an easier fit in the shell neck. What is the inside measurement of the shell, is the neck sized too small?

Sounds like two separate issues.
Are the measurements correct on the swaged bullet?

If it is in fact undersized and still the bullet can't be seated you may have a neck thickness problem, neck wall thickening due to brass stretching, out of spec. dies, or..."

Bollocks
02-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Hello Badluther,

The Corbins swage dies come with a lead sample slug. What is the diameter of that slug?

You can also swage a lead slug yourself and measure it.

Rgds,
BolloX

Bullshop
02-06-2011, 01:30 PM
He never said they were too tight, just that they didnt fit. Maybe he meant they are too loose and just drop through the neck.

mroliver77
02-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I took it as it would not start in the case. He referred to a rebated die that encouraged this line of thinking. Still.............
Luther how did you measure the bullet? A decent micrometer is needed and not a set of calipers. Like has been said, you need a decent chamfer on the case mouth. Sometimes it feels as if when starting the bullet it is too tight but a bit of force overcomes this and it seats easy from there. Also if possible measure the neck diameter of a loaded round with the same brass you are trying to reload. The resized brass should be no more than prolly .006" smaller than the loaded round.
Let us know how it works out for you.
Jay

firefly1957
02-06-2011, 07:01 PM
The Very flat base will make these bullets harder to start after a while I used a Lee universal case belling die to make the job easier.(and reduce case loss)
As far as .223 diameter shoot a few you may find they shoot fine in your gun. Another thought is if you are seating cores correctly?

DukeInFlorida
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I talked with BadLuther the other day (briefly) about this. He said that he's using some lead wire that he got with the dies, and is merely chopping it to a length that gives him a good final weight. He's dropping those into the .22 LR cases, and nose forming.

I asked him if he's pushing the cores in enough to get lead squirting out of the bleed hole, and he wasn't sure what I even meant by that. I haven't seen the dies he got, but guessing that he's not seating the cores right.

From what I understand, you should go a bit over on the core weight, and really push those home, allowing any lead to bleed out the hole for that purpose. That should help with the OD sizing. The final swage should also bump out the OD while forming the nose.

Do I have that all right?

Ballard
02-07-2011, 04:28 PM
The cores should be swaged in a squirt (core swage) to get uniform diameter. Then cores seated in jackets. It is NOT a one step process. I would like to have a micrometer reading on his swaged cores, and his finished bullets out to .0001. He should not be having loading problems because his bullets measure .223 something. Something is amiss.

Bullshop
02-07-2011, 04:47 PM
I have also been talking to him in PM. He got the die set from me so I am trying to help.
The set included everything accept a core swage die. I mentioned in the sale/trade add that a core swage would be needed. I guess he is just trying to see if he can get by without one.
I also mentioned annealing the jackets to him and he said he may have hurried the process so his jackets may be a bit too springy too.
This set minus the core swage die is the set that made the bullets my boys were selling last year. There were no complaints about the bullets at all and there were even some compliments. I mic-ed some bullets from those dies and get .224"
I think there are a combination of things that are causing the problem and when those are worked out all will be well.
The reason I didnt trade the core swage with the dies is that the only core swage dies I have are for the Mighty Might press or the Walnut Hill press and this set of dies was the loading press type. I think a core swage die will go a long way to solving the problem.

Red River Rick
02-07-2011, 04:53 PM
The cores should be swaged in a squirt (core swage) to get uniform diameter. Then cores seated in jackets. It is NOT a one step process.................... Something is amiss.

I couldn't agree more with that statement................"SWAGING IS NOT A ONE STEP PROCESS". Not like some are mislead to believe.

FWIW.

RRR

ANeat
02-07-2011, 05:17 PM
."SWAGING IS NOT A ONE STEP PROCESS". Not like some are mislead to believe.

FWIW.

RRR

I agree 100%

Even if he is not squirting the core he should at least be seating the core in a seperate step.

jixxerbill
02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
I couldn't agree more with that statement................"SWAGING IS NOT A ONE STEP PROCESS". Not like some are mislead to believe.

FWIW.

RRR

+1.......on the NOT A ONE STEP PROCESS !!!!.....bill

badluther
02-07-2011, 11:14 PM
a3fd2

Red River Rick
02-07-2011, 11:18 PM
When you resized your cases, did your resizing die have an expander ball?

RRR

badluther
02-07-2011, 11:33 PM
a3fd2

DukeInFlorida
02-08-2011, 09:54 AM
BadLuther,
The bullets will never just stand up in the case like you do with bell mouthed pistol rounds.

You have to hold onto the bullet, positioned over the case, and while you raise the ram, allow the bullet to slide through your fingers into the bullet seating die. When the bullet is in the die enough, remove your fingers so they don't get pinched. All normal. The bullet will find home and seat fine.

MightyThor
02-08-2011, 02:01 PM
I talked with BadLuther the other day (briefly) about this. He said that he's using some lead wire that he got with the dies, and is merely chopping it to a length that gives him a good final weight. He's dropping those into the .22 LR cases, and nose forming.

I asked him if he's pushing the cores in enough to get lead squirting out of the bleed hole, and he wasn't sure what I even meant by that. I haven't seen the dies he got, but guessing that he's not seating the cores right.

From what I understand, you should go a bit over on the core weight, and really push those home, allowing any lead to bleed out the hole for that purpose. That should help with the OD sizing. The final swage should also bump out the OD while forming the nose.

Do I have that all right?

Ok, My sticky shows how I do it, but I will run through the steps real quick here. Some do it different.

1. Form the jacket by removing the rim.
2. Anneal the jacket. (I like em soft)
3. Form the core. (I cast some, I swage some and I cut wire for some)
4. Seat the core. (there is no bleed hole for this process. This bumps the case to near my final diameter.
5. Point the bullet.
6. Clean and sort the bullets by weight.
7. Load bullets. (they are no different than say Speer flat base or Remington or any other flat base bullet.

MIBULLETS
02-08-2011, 06:39 PM
BadLuther, If you don't feel you are getting the answer you need, please give us some pictures. Maybe we can see the problem better.

Ammosmith
02-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Make sure you anneal the brass and use nothing harder than wheel weights for cores. Get a mic that will measure to within .0001" and that will tell you volumes about pressure and diameter.

MIBULLETS
02-08-2011, 11:31 PM
BadLuther,
The bullets will never just stand up in the case like you do with bell mouthed pistol rounds.

You have to hold onto the bullet, positioned over the case, and while you raise the ram, allow the bullet to slide through your fingers into the bullet seating die. When the bullet is in the die enough, remove your fingers so they don't get pinched. All normal. The bullet will find home and seat fine.

Now that I read this all again, I think Duke has hit the nail on the head. This is true for almost all rifle reloading, unless of course you are using a bullet with a boattail on it. Get a good mic and if the bullets are between .2238 and .2245 or so you should have no problems loading them anyway. You have to hold flat based bullets until they enter the seating die, no way around it, except putting a boattail on the bullet.

Hammer
02-24-2011, 04:10 PM
I use a Sterrett 3734 micrometer and have had good results.

Everything is relative. These are all only good to a certain tollerance and you need to know how accurate is accurate for what you are trying to measure....

IMHO only...

Ed

7of7
02-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Badluther, you can make a lead slug, just take some lead wire, and smash it in your core seating die. Measure it. It should be about 1 thousanth smaller in diameter than your final size.. point form that slug, then measure it again. This should be the diameter engraved on the top of the die.

That is all Dave does.
I had some questions about some 308 diameter bullets that weren't coming out at 308.. when we did this, the slugs came out at the correct diameter. My problem is that I am making hollow pointed bullets, so I am not getting the pressure quite to where it needs to be. If I make a lead tipped bullet, it comes out okay.. He said that part of the problem is that the dies are still very slick, (I haven't made that many bullets with them) so the nose gets shaped really quick, at a lower pressure..

BTW, where are you located?

algunjunkie
02-25-2011, 10:59 PM
When you are seating the cores into the jackets, you don't want to use so much pressure that the heels of your bullets are at 90 degrees, you want some roundness to them. This will ease the seating of the round into the case mouth.

Secondly you may want to back off of the lube just a bit, not a lot or you could stick a round. If the bullets grips the sides of the die it takes a little more pressure thus they swage up just a bit more. Lube is a double edge sword, too much or too little and you can bad day.