PDA

View Full Version : colorant for Felix lube

inthebeech
02-05-2011, 08:05 AM
I bought some regular Kiwi paste type shoe polish in a dark color. Could I use it to color Felix lube (which by the way finally got rid of my leading problem after extensive testing and altering of many other individual variables - Thanks Felix). It's a really nifty purple or something. If there's any doubt that performance would be compromised I'd just as soon leave it out. It is a great lube and worth the 30 minutes of stirring.
Thanks,
Ed

BD
02-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I prefer my Felix lube with a nice reddish hue. I get it that way by including the wax from the neck of a Makers Mark bottle in every batch, with the added benefit that the carnuba leaves the barrel bright and shiny :)

BD

skeet1
02-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Not only is the red wax a good thing but what's in the bottle isn't bad either!

Skeet1

imashooter2
02-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Securing a supply of carnauba wax can be difficult. We just have to muddle by as best we can...

Candle dyes also work, but aren't nearly as fun to collect.

geargnasher
02-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I like my Felix lube a nice bananna yellow, comes from using Randyrat's hard cappings-grade beeswax. Once loaded, you can't see it anyway, and it's easy to tell apart from commercial lubes before loading the boolits.

Gear

DukeInFlorida
02-05-2011, 05:45 PM
I bought some red candle wax dye squares recently, and bumped up my on hand qty of Felix Lube (actually, a Duke version thereof), and put a whole bunch of the dye in the batch. Randy Rat's beeswax came out a nice shade of PINK...... I'm giving up trying to make the lube a deep red. As has been suggested, it is what it is, and you don't see it anyways.

As long as it smells like HONEY, I'm happy (and so are my guns!)

inthebeech
02-05-2011, 08:56 PM
MM isn't my drink and there's no wax on the top of my Buffalo Trace. They use tin I think. So how about my Kiwi idea?

imashooter2
02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
It's wonderful and shouldn't hurt the lube in any way.

Laying in a good supply of tin can be a bit of a challenge as well. Carry on!

Shooter6br
02-05-2011, 10:15 PM
My Emment's lube is a nice off white. No mess on dies etc,

Shooter6br
02-05-2011, 10:16 PM
If you use parafin wax try getting wax from craftshop. They have neon colors if you please

JesterGrin_1
02-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Food Coloring works too. :)

geargnasher
02-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Ask 357Maximum about the neon candle dye.

Gear

JesterGrin_1
02-06-2011, 04:35 AM
357Maximum only uses the Neon so the glow at night. :)

imashooter2
02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
357Maximum only uses the Neon so the glow at night. :)

Tracers! 8-)

nanuk
02-08-2011, 03:11 AM
how about the wax on those little cheese rounds?

it is red, should turn lube pink?

357maximum
02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I use Yaley brand solid dye blocks. Fuscia added to standard Felix lube will make it a real good red color depending on the color of your beeswax.

A good orange is the color that was hardest for me to get....I was not figuring the color of the beeswax into the equation. Once I added enough red to offset the yellow I finally got there.

Those small triangle shaped "color CHIPS" for candlemaking are absolutely worthless in my opinion. I needed the BLOCKS by Yaley to get good colors in my lubes.

The flourescent colors will settle out and leave powder trapped in the bottome of your lube ingots though. I guess if you had a blacklight lit range you could use flo. colors for tracers but I am unaware of phosphorescent candle dye for real tracers though. :popcorn:

I tried some old Ross brand oil paint for color once....and only once....it colored the lube just ok and the smell while cooking the lube would gag a maggot.

mtgrs737
02-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Liquid candle dye is available at most craft stores and on the internet. Blue added to yellow beeswax will get you a medium green like speed green. I add more green to darken up my batches of speed green.