PDA

View Full Version : How to get out a size die from a Lyman 45 -

Tristan
11-11-2006, 07:03 PM
I've got an old, old Lyman 45 lube/sizer that was not used for years, according to the Gentleman that I purchased it from. It has a .357 die in place, and I would like to change out for a .430. Trouble is, I can't seem to budge the .357 die...

When I got the sizer, it was caked with crud, grunge and assorted bird droppings (ok, maybe not that bad). It had been put away for a number of years, and everything seemed dried out. I assume the die is simple glued in place with the dried out 50/50 BW/alox lube.

Any ideas on how to loosen that puppy up?

Thanks,

Tristan.

Bullshop
11-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Adjust the depth screw all the way up, drop the handle, put a spacer between the ejecter yoke and ejector pin and raise up on the handle while applying heat from a blow dryer or heat gun or some such thing. Should squirt right out.
BIC/BS

grumpy one
11-11-2006, 08:04 PM
There are three possible issues here. First, as Bullshop said, the old hardened lube is going to have to be melted, so whatever happens you are going to have to warm it up slightly.

The second possible problem is that the die may have rusted in place. You can probably pick whether this has happened by looking at the whole machine. If it is rusted in, the job may get difficult, or even impractical - but it is not all that likely if it was left with lube in it.

The third possible cause is that the exterior of the die may be oversize. I find that some RCBS dies jam pretty tight in my 45 lubesizer, and really need some pushing to get them out - more pushing than is good for the linkage on the lubesizer.

Just keep the three issues in mind and proceed rationally. If you do as Bullshop said, without heating the machine hotter than you can stand to touch, you will more likely than not get the die out. If that doesn't work, the next step would be to strip the machine down and press the die out, heating the central casting that holds the die quite a bit hotter (you'll destroy the O ring on the sizing die for sure). The second method will work if the first one doesn't, but you'll probably lose the orange paint.

Don't heat up the whole lubesizer hotter than you can touch - you'll ruin too many bits.

Geoff

Four Fingers of Death
11-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Good advice from a couple of masters. I havent used my lubesizers for awhile (I'll soon fix that), but I have a crappy old screwdriver I keep under the bench, which acts as a perfect spacer, don't adjust anything, just pop it between the arm, etc and ease it up. It has several thicknesses on the handle to aid grip and one will always fit. All I gotta do now is find it. :-(

kodiak1
11-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Tristan I bought a Lyman 45 off of eb ay and had to boil it in water. Immursed the whole thing boiled it about 30 minutes took a screwdriver got up against the bottom of that die and a light tap with a hammer and out she popped.

Like the grumpy one says I have also run across RCBS dies that seem very tight in Lyman Lubeersizers. I think that it is usually the older ones that fit tight but can't state that 100% for sure.
Ken

MGySgt
11-13-2006, 10:37 AM
I would strip everything off and put it in a bucket of water set on some heat source. You need to get all the old lude out, so you might as well do that at the same time.

Boil it for about 10 minutes and then use a punch (knock out pin?) and gently tap it with a hammer.

Drew

imashooter2
11-13-2006, 12:22 PM
As others have said, apply heat and use an old nut for a spacer to break it free. Seems pretty basic, but I guess it needs saying... Don't forget to loosen the set screw. It might have been hidden under the crud.

Tristan
11-18-2006, 09:30 PM
As others have said, apply heat and use an old nut for a spacer to break it free. Seems pretty basic, but I guess it needs saying... Don't forget to loosen the set screw. It might have been hidden under the crud.

What is this "Set Screw" of which you speak, and why should I loosen it? [smilie=1:

Ok, just kiddin'. That's the thingy that keeps the handle on, right? :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, I've taken the set screw out, and I don't believe there's any rust on it - no way any water could get through the 3 pounds of dried, encrusted old lube that was on it... ;)

I should have a chance this week to try the heat thing and a bolt as a spacer to pop it out. Anyone know what size the O-ring is so I can buy some replacements?

Thanks for all the feedback and help!

- Tristan

Billwnr
11-18-2006, 11:34 PM
set your oven for around 180 degrees and put the luber in it. Use a cookie tray as the lube will be liquid.

You'll want to take the top off the lube tube also.

imashooter2
11-18-2006, 11:37 PM
9/16 x 11/16 x 1/16
O ring size #35