PDA

View Full Version : SBH fractured forcing cone

Matthew 25
02-05-2011, 02:37 AM
I sure could use some advise. I have a SBH stainless 4 5/8's 44 that I shoot a good bit. The accuracy took a dive a couple months ago. I cleaned it up and noticed the forcing cone had a fracture at 5 O'clock. I sent it to Ruger and they advise replacing the barrel (not for free). I would like to know if anyone has seen a fractured forcing cone and what causes it. In my non-gunsmith mind I figure one of two things has happened: the cylinder has lost alignment with the barrel due to lots of use; or the cylinder and barrel were never correctly aligned from the factory and it only now showed a problem. I usually shoot stiff loads, but never over book. I'm having a difficult time communicating with the folks at Ruger, so it's on standby for now.

badbob454
02-05-2011, 02:42 AM
there is another post on this forum somewhere the guy even posted pics of his sbh/ i dont know what causes it

Flash
02-05-2011, 07:18 AM
My guess would be the alignment was never perfect to begin with. It seems that Ruger is backing off of fixing anything on the house except for recalls. Not the Ruger we all remember.