PDA

View Full Version : SBH fractured forcing cone

Matthew 25
02-05-2011, 02:19 AM
I sure could use some advise. I have a SBH stainless 4 5/8's 44 that I shoot a good bit. The accuracy took a dive a couple months ago. I cleaned it up and noticed the forcing cone had a fracture at 5 O'clock. I sent it to Ruger and they advise replacing the barrel (not for free). I would like to know if anyone has seen a fractured forcing cone and what causes it. In my non-gunsmith mind I figure one of two things has happened: the cylinder has lost alignment with the barrel due to lots of use; or the cylinder and barrel were never correctly aligned from the factory and it only now showed a problem. I usually shoot stiff loads, but never over book. I'm having a difficult time communicating with the folks at Ruger, so it's on standby for now.

44magLeo
02-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Read the thread Ruger Redhawk Barrel Blew Off. It could be the steel the barrel was made of.
If it needs a new barrel and Ruger wants you to pay for it. I might get someone else to do the barrel.

x101airborne
02-06-2011, 12:24 AM
I am disappointed that Ruger wont warranty it. I could understand if it was something obvious you did, but one would think that customer relations are worth a couple barrel jobs a year. Not only that, but they would be able to inspect their firearms after being used in the field a bit. Just one more example of me going to a semi-custom maker for my next pistol.

John Taylor
02-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I have seen this before on a S&W 38 but the barrel was very thin at the forcing cone. Never saw a Ruger do it. It could have been fired without the cylinder in lockup, bolt not engaged in cylinder notch. It would only take one shot with the cylinder out of alignment to do damage. I would check with Ruger again and let them know it was damaged through normal use. I have never had a problem with Ruger repairing a gun before.

targetshootr
02-06-2011, 02:23 PM
I've sent Ruger old flat tops in the past and so far they haven't charged me a dime to fix anything. The last one got a new blue job on top of everything else.

Matthew 25
02-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the input, guys.
After reading about barrel alignment and forcing cone problems on Alpha Precision's website, I think I'll be sending the revolver to them or another custom smith...unless Ruger comes through for me. Part of me wants to bag it and go get a short 29, but I guess I love my SBH too much.