PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Rock Chucker Ram

b2riesel
02-04-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm going to replace the ram on my Rock Chucker Supreme with something a little tougher for swagging and doesn't have the primer pocket cutout. I see BT and others on here talking about 4140 steel and what not...however....I use Carbon Steel 1045 at work to make drive shafts and gears for industrial machinery. It has a Rockwell C16 and a Brinnell 163 harness. I should never be able to damage this in any shape form or fashion swagging bullets out of lead and jackets correct?

Another thing that bothers me on the Rock Chucker is the flat plat that the handle screws into that is made of cast and the cast links....I'm thinking of replacing these parts with the 1045 as well.

Any thoughts?

BT Sniper
02-04-2011, 07:18 PM
I made a new ram from a simple piece of cold roll steel. More then strong enough. Anything will do I'm sure. What I would recammend is rather then use a shell holder slot, thread the top of the ram so you can use threaded base punches. I use 1/2-20 tpi for my base punches. Then you can use teh threaded shell holder Ch offers if you want to reload with it too.

BT

arjacobson
02-04-2011, 07:20 PM
stress proof steel is my favorite.. plus it machines nice..

b2riesel
02-04-2011, 07:22 PM
BT...and the added benefit that threading the new ram is much quicker and easier than cutting out that shell holder slot :)

BT Sniper
02-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Yep, a threaded ram with threaded base punches does make a nice set up.

BCall
02-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know if the replacement ram that RCBS sells threaded or just flat?

BT Sniper
02-04-2011, 08:58 PM
I've seen it. Not threaded, flat and unfinished.

Imagine the RCBS ram before they cut out the shell holder, primmer slot and grove on bottom link it to the press and you have RCBS's version of a swage ram. It will not even mount to press till you machine the notch cutout on the bottom of ram, I don't even remember if the holes where drilled to pin it at the bottom either. For $75 you would expect more. Don't bother ordering it from RCBS, many here can make you better.

BT

b2riesel
02-06-2011, 04:42 PM
So...going to go with the threads for a base punch...threads at 1/2-20 tpi... what depth should I drill and tap to? I want to make sure that if I buy x companies punches or whatever in the future that they don't go to a deeper depth than a CH shell holder.

BT Sniper
02-07-2011, 01:42 AM
I have not seen any brand X threaded base punches but punches are easily made from steel bolts. I would think at least an inch of threads should do just fine. Grab one of these bolts and measure the amount of threads. I would say that would be a good max length of threads and certainly shouldn't need any more then that. If you wanted to use the CH threaded shell holder with your new ram you might check the length of their threads. I am pretty sure it is 1" long with the bottom 1/2" threaded and top half is not threaded.

BT

rockrat
02-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Now,someone on the board with the skills ,needs to offer the rams for sale. Anyone

BT Sniper
02-07-2011, 05:38 PM
I'll see what I can come up with.

b2riesel
02-07-2011, 05:57 PM
So BT......you want me to start working on your online catalog? :)

BT Sniper
02-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Yeh I'm doing that too. It will be avialble right here in the cast pics member products section.

BT

b2riesel
02-07-2011, 06:24 PM
I think when I go do my 12 hour night shift here in a bit...I'll work on my new ram as long as nobody in the plant breaks anything else. 1/2-20 threaded down 1-1/8"...I like to go just a bit further so if for some reason it breaks off...I can use a spring punch to back out the threads without it locked on the bottom.

Also, what kind of bolt should I use for a punch? nice hex head and round it off? you got some pics of one?