PDA

View Full Version : lack of .243 --> .308 jackets solved!

BT Sniper
02-04-2011, 04:51 PM
We all know jackets made from scrap brass is very possible, with great results and dang near free but there seemed to be a void for jackets between the 22LR and the 223. Well I happend to stumble onto the solution for a jacket to suit any bullet from 243 on up to at least 308. I have allready made severial 308 bullets from the FN5.7x28 brass and last night as I was trying to make a die to punch a boat tail on the base of the case I wound up pushing it a bit to far. I had drilled a .25 relief hole and sure enough the case head sized down quite easily so I pushed it all the way threw, Volia! A .250 diameter jacket. I shoot .264 [smilie=w:

This case can be found in good numbers once you start looking and it should fill the needs for jackets in a bullet from .243-.308 up to at least 180 grains. That's some good shooting!

Just to keep you guys from getting too excited I didn't make the good looking bullet pictured below but anything is possible!

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/newbullets007.jpg

Here you can see the FN case, resized to .250, a berger 6.5 140 grain, and a 22LR for compare. I don't expect to make anythign nearly as sleek as the berger but my .264 BT Sniper die will certainly be a project I will be starting very soon.

There is a mountain of avialble jackets out there for us. Lets put them to good use shell we. :) I mean look at all the possiblities, 22LR, FN 5.7, 223, 9mm, 40S&W, 45 ACP, and all the berdine primed rifle brass too. There are of course many more possiblies but these are the most common brass found at nearly nothing in cost.

As always Good shooting and Swage On!

:swagemine:

BT

BwBrown
02-04-2011, 05:09 PM
The next two calibers on my want list are the .308 and the .257.

Looks like some real possibilities there!

I'm sure others will join me in watching your progress.
Bob

BT Sniper
02-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Done! Well not yet but soon. :) Certainly possible. I allready have the components for the 257 core seat die and as you can see sizing down the jacket is easy.

Keep in touch! You know where to find me :)

BT

BwBrown
02-04-2011, 11:27 PM
BT, You know I'm hooked!
I put as much lead downrange through my .257 Roberts rifles as any other single caliber, 'cept maybe the .22rf plinking. Lots of gas-checked cast, some real light straight cast. It'd be great to be able to get some jackets up to speed.
PM me when you have a .257 set ready to go.
Bob

BT Sniper
02-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Sure thing Bob :) I'm getting pretty good at it but still lots to learn. Made a 308 swage die that turned into a 323 this evening. I suppose I could start on a 257 and if I go over it becomes a 264 for me and so on after that. Really is true what they say that you don't screw up when making a die you just make the next size. Hope I don't have to get a 50 cal :)

BT

MIBULLETS
02-05-2011, 10:10 AM
BT, did you make the reducing dies as well? Will you be offering those as well?

BT Sniper
02-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Yep! Any swage die sets I offer in the future will be avialble as a complete set with a reducing die and base punches if needed.

I'm getting closer and skill/quality is getting a lot better. Got some testing to do before I can offer anything. Just like my current dies I offer here, I will make sure they are a close to perfect as I can get them first.

BT