PDA

View Full Version : Re-sighting the .475 BFR at 50 yards.

44man
02-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I had made some adjustments and wanted to return to the settings with my 420 gr WFN boolit. I shot 3 at 50 for an Ultra Dot adjustment. Hit right so I clicked in 4 left and the next 2 went a little left. I came right one and found I had to aim just a tad left to hit a 100 yard can so I am more or less in between. Measurements tell me each click is moving the POI .59" at 50.
The 3 on the right are in 7/16".
The load is 26 gr of 296 and a Fed 155 primer.

Frank
02-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Did you shoot Creedmore? I was working the .475 today and the POI shifted so I adjusted the scope. It's now 1" high at 50 yds. I just casted a bunch of boolits. They came hard, BH 30. I used LAR's BAC lube and am going to shoot at cans next at 100 yds. :drinks:

RobS
02-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Not bad, however I believe I've seen better from you........... :bigsmyl2:

44man
02-05-2011, 08:23 AM
I used sandbags. Had the shakes bad yesterday and it is the only way to hold still. :veryconfu
John bought a new BFR and with his Weaver scope I was all over the place. Looked like it was sighted, then it would hit low. I think it was twisting the guts in the scope.
He bought an Ultra Dot so next week we will know. His other revolver did poor with the Weaver too. I out shot the Freedom with the scope by using the open sights! There has to be something moving in the scope.

44man
02-05-2011, 08:28 AM
It is amazing how accurate the Ultra Dot is. You would not think so looking at the dot but my best groups are always shot with them.
Even my 4X Loopy will not do as good. I have switched to test loads but found it is a waste of time, just use the dot.

tek4260
02-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Won't shooting off the bags affect your POI as compared to to shooting from field positions? I know that I was fine tuning a 44 from a rest and had to replace the front sight when I switched to my regular field position. But that is what I get for lowering the rear and filing the front to adjust because I like the rear bottomed.

44man
02-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Won't shooting off the bags affect your POI as compared to to shooting from field positions? I know that I was fine tuning a 44 from a rest and had to replace the front sight when I switched to my regular field position. But that is what I get for lowering the rear and filing the front to adjust because I like the rear bottomed.
Yes and it depends on the caliber and gun. My .44 needs sighted different for hunting. I dare not sight from bags. I sight either from Creedmore, sitting or with my arms on a bag. Once I can hit a beer can at 75 or 100 yards I am good to hunt. Other revolvers hit the same place. Much depends on the gun weight and recoil.
Hunting season is over so I change back but will re-sight next year.
It is too much fun to lay the revolver on bags and shoot 1" targets at 100 yards.

tek4260
02-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Well, a few years ago, I got a pistol rest and I used it for that 44. After having to order another sight and resoldering, I swore I would not use one again.

Frank
02-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Rob S:
Not bad, however I believe I've seen better from you...........

If you meant me, I corrected it. I meant 1" high at 50 yds.

The Leupolds are rock solid internally. The Ultradot is good too. I prefer the magnification, focusing and crosshairs of the scope. But if you need speed then the red dot is quicker.

RobS
02-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Frank:

I was talking about 44man's photo, but I did catch your post.

Frank
02-05-2011, 10:46 PM
RobS:
Frank:

I was talking about 44man's photo, but I did catch your post.

I thought you probably meant that. Thanks for letting me know. 8-)

crabo
02-05-2011, 11:26 PM
I have a problem with 3 shot revolver groups. I think it should be a full cylinder full. There are too many times I have shot 3 and it looked great, only to blowup by the time I went all the way around the cylinder.

RobS
02-06-2011, 12:11 AM
If I'm not mistaken, he shot 5 (full cylinder).......three were without changing his Ultra Dot settings and the other two were with his adjustments. Three touching clover and the other two touching as well.

crabo
02-06-2011, 02:20 AM
3 shot group

Whitworth
02-06-2011, 08:40 AM
I have a problem with 3 shot revolver groups. I think it should be a full cylinder full. There are too many times I have shot 3 and it looked great, only to blowup by the time I went all the way around the cylinder.

He shot three, and then made a correction in his sight setting and shot the last two. Hence the 3-shot group. It's outstanding and remember he starts at 50 yards! But you are right about shooting the last two of a group!

44man
02-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Not much different with a BFR. Only the shooter is the weak spot. These are all 5 shot groups, 50, 100 and 200 yards. Except the can, shot twice at 100.
I have shot many 50 yard 10 shot groups like this too. The vertical dispersion is just the rear sandbag changing tension.

44man
02-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I might be lucky but never owned a S&W or Ruger that had a chamber shoot to a different place. Never seen a BFR do it and it might be the most accurate out of box revolver ever made.
Even the stupid, crazy recoil some have doesn't seem to alter anything. The .475 will twist your wrist and beat the rear bag so it needs adjusted for every shot, that can cause some vertical dispersion.
I have owned a bunch of model 29's and all of them would do 1/2" at 50 yards with a jacketed bullet for IHMSA but they were just too grip sensitive and a group could move 10" just by how the gun was picked up. I would go out of my mind when I hit the first 5 targets all dead center, then miss the next 5. It was not the gun, just the grip.
That is why I don't like a Bisley, they are sensitive and I can never keep groups in the same place.
Many just don't know their poor shooting is not their fault and that the old hog leg is the most forgiving of any grip ever made.
Every one says to get a Bisley because it soaks up recoil but you will change POI unless you keep the gun in hand like the S&W.
Try it. Put the gun down between shots. If POI changes, it is not you, it is where the recoil impulse is located on your hand and arm.
Crawling your hand up on a hog leg is no good either and letting the gun "ROLL" in your hand will change POI right now. Get roll out of your head and hold the darn gun tight, any gun!
Hand strength is important for accuracy, never wimp a gun.
I understand everyone has different size hands and strength so it is hard to have everyone shoot the same. One of my friends hits real high and I hit center. I told him to hold the gun tight and he is now hitting where I do. I seen the gun coming up different for every shot. He was letting the gun run away and it only takes a few thousandths to scatter shots.

44man
02-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Even a .45 Vaquero can do this. I shot this 5 shot group at 50 yards from Creedmore using a 347 gr boolit. This gun has shot 5 shot groups under 1" at 75 yards. No, don't ask me to do it all the time. I did it only because I did everything right for those shots. The gun has fierce recoil and must be squeezed to death and I had to put Pachmeyer grips on it. The thing was beating my knuckle.
I can only suggest to "get a grip."

targetshootr
02-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Some people say the new gen of BFRs are every bit as accurate as FAs. Looks pretty clear.

44man
02-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Some people say the new gen of BFRs are every bit as accurate as FAs. Looks pretty clear.
Not much comment there but I never got a Freedom to shoot. Too tight!

Frank
02-06-2011, 05:20 PM
44man, just noticing, looking at the 2 pictures in this thread it looks like your sight's moving. Look at the space between the front ring and the tube joint in both pics.

Whitworth
02-06-2011, 06:52 PM

I'm not a Freedom basher as I think they are fine revolvers, but I think the BFRs in general are more accurate. They put a really good barrel on them and they tend to shoot really well as long as you do your part.

44man
02-07-2011, 09:11 AM
44man, just noticing, looking at the 2 pictures in this thread it looks like your sight's moving. Look at the space between the front ring and the tube joint in both pics.
No, I had it off the gun. At one time it was turning from the torque.
The force on a big revolver scope is mind blowing.

sixshot
02-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Grip tension is huge with a revolver, I always tell a new shooter to leave the right hand on the gun & cock the hammer with the left thumb. I like to have a lot of grip tension with my left hand, this helps relax the trigger finger on the right hand. Note: my Silhouette membership number was #2046.
Back in the 70's Idaho was holding their first ever handgun silhouette state championships in Blackfoot. A friend of mine, Ben Wetzel, owner of Idaho Leather was entered in the revolver division shooting his Ruger SBH, he ask me to be his spotter & we went to the line. As the match progressed & we got to the turkeys he started shooting high, when we switched to the rams I told Ben to come down 4 clicks from his normal ram setting, he ask me why & I told him I'd explain later...trust me!
He made the 4 click adjustment, hit 8 of the 10 rams & won the first ever revolver state champeionship. He ask me later why I had him move down so far & I told him he was getting tired & relaxing his grip on the big Ruger, when you do that you start shooting high....grip tension has to be the same are you get vertical stringing.

Dick

Markbo
02-07-2011, 04:50 PM
44man - what kind of scope base is that?

44man
02-08-2011, 10:09 AM
44man - what kind of scope base is that?
It comes with a BFR, they are drilled and tapped.
My .475 is older and did not come with the base. I called MR and they sent it free but I had to drill and tap the gun.

white eagle
02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
do they all come with those long cylinders

white eagle
02-08-2011, 10:31 AM
never mind
I made the mistake of going to their site
hoocheee mama !!!!
I would love to have the 480/475 Linebaugh

Whitworth
02-08-2011, 11:44 AM
do they all come with those long cylinders

There are two different frame lengths -- the long frame to house the .45/70, .444, etc. and the "normal" frame to house the .44 mag, .454 Casull, .475., .500 JRH.

44man
02-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Why do I do this? [smilie=b: John brought his .475 over with a new 1" Ultra Dot so I removed the Weaver that was shooting all over the place and put the U.D. on. Figured I would shoot it---BIG MISTAKE. 30 - 50 mph winds and cold as hell. Had to stop going down my path and pull big broken branches off.
Time I set up I was frozen. First shot was on paper but a little high right. I moved it down and over, shot two more, darn hit right so I moved a few more. Well it was so cold I could not hear or feel clicks so I holding the gun close to my ear and not paying attention I was going the wrong way.
But I got it moved over and took 4 final shots, that was all I could take! :holysheep:veryconfu
Oh, the 1" seems to have a larger dot then the 30mm.