PDA

View Full Version : deer with NEI cast bullet

canuck4570
11-11-2006, 12:25 PM
the mold is a NEI no:346 GC 440 grains.....cast wiht wheel weight and come out at 480 gr. and 490 with GC...the load was 22 gr of H 110.... velocity at 1150 in my ruger no 1..... the deer was shot at 75 yards it was standing face to me....shot a bit high and the bullet past the neck with a caliber entrey hole and at first did not find a exit hole ...... comming up to dress the deer notice a second hole about 1 inche across just below .... you know what at the rear....after opening up the deer I noticed that the bullet past the neck vertabre with no dammage and whent down at a small angle to strike the spine and brooke about 6 inches of spine just pas the chest cavity than it must of whent down in the abdominal cavity to go on and exit at the rear..... at the hit the dees sat down than tople over gave a few kiks than nothing....my first game with cast bullets and very impress of the performance...... have some picture of the wound .... will get a frend to show me how to post them and then you coul see better what I mean.... MIchel

Bullshop
11-11-2006, 01:41 PM
I bet you didnt ruin even a mouth full of meat with that load eather.
Congrats!!!! Enjoy!!!
BIC/BS

45stomp
11-11-2006, 03:05 PM
What cartridge is this? 45-70?.........Nice work by the way:drinks:
Stomp

chunkum
11-11-2006, 04:14 PM
I've wondered how that bullet shot? That's what you'd call a "Major" meplat!
:)
chunkum

Topper
11-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Congrats on your first CB harvest.

waksupi
11-12-2006, 01:04 AM
Congratulations. I think I'm starting to see a trend here. Cast boolits kill!

Bass Ackward
11-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Atta boy, Canuck!

Warning: The use of cast boolits for the purpose of hunting can be adictive.

JDL
11-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Well done, Canuck! That big ol' boolit may well be in low orbit even now. :-) -JDL

Nrut
11-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Way to go Canuck4570!...If this keeps up there will be no game left for the condum guy's.......:-D

canuck4570
11-14-2006, 12:20 PM
yes it is a 4570 ruger no 1 modified to acept a scout scope.... 2x7 burris... and soon I will post the picture of this deer and the wound on the spine.

swheeler
11-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Good going canuck, enjoy the venison
Scot

9.3X62AL
11-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Congratulations. I think I'm starting to see a trend here. Cast boolits kill!

To paraphrase a story by Ammohead........"Have ya seen many buffalo lately?"

Well done, 4570!

Bullshop
11-18-2006, 02:14 PM
To paraphrase a story by Ammohead........"Have ya seen many buffalo lately?"

Well done, 4570!

Well yea we see them buffalo all the time. The blasted things leave them frozen lumps all over the road and its awful hard on vehicles. The plow guy told me he takes a pounding from them frozen fertilizer mounds.
They even ran interferance on my moose hunt, blasted shaggy beasts!
I dont know of any other place in the country that has the buffalo crossing signs like we have on our stretch of Alaska hiway.
Makes me feel like Ralph Cramden, one a deaz days, POW!
BIC/BS

9.3X62AL
11-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Not wanting to go TOO FAR astray here, I recently (one week ago) had a strange occurrence in my hunting area. Bullshop's comments about hunt interference prompt this, and I should note that I had the CZ rifle and cast boolits on board at the time. So, it's on topic enough. I think.

The area from which I got this year's deer--and tried mightily to score a second one--is located near a USFS primitive campground that sees some summer use, but none for the duration of deer season that we observed. I got established in place about 3 P.M. on Saturday afternoon, and there still were no people in or around the campground. Good. I walked back to my "prime" spot along a runway I found, and waited around for an hour or so. No critters. I walked back down the trail to the spot I could overlook the campground, and saw that a tent had been set up back in the trees, and several vehicles were parked in the trees outside the campground limits. Loud voices accompanied this observation--well, it IS a holiday weekend, what the heck.

After a few minutes, I turned to head back to my ambush spot when I heard THE LOUDEST MUSIC I had ever been witness to start up from the campsite. It was "techno" music, the featured stuff of rave parties.

Oh, CRAP.

Rave parties in this area occur in rural locations, and feature hundreds--sometimes thousands--of attendees, most of whom drink--some of whom take all manner of drugs. The end results are often sexual assaults, drug overdoses, search/rescues, and incredible damage to countryside. Fatalities are occasional occurrences.

Of more immediate concern was the prospect of hundreds of vehicles coming down the single-lane USFS road to access the site, effectively trapping my partner and I in place--perhaps overnight. Oh, HELL NO.

We got our aspirations OUTTA THERE post haste, and I called the resident deputy to tell him what I saw. He met me on the roadway inbound while I was heading out--I filled him in further, and he had USFS close/lock the gates on both ends of the road we were on to prevent party-goers from descending on the site. He gave me a key to get out, which I left with his wife after we exited and re-secured the gate.

I hate being a kill-joy, but having worked cases flowing from "raves" in the past--and not wanting a VERY NICE portion of National Forest getting trashed out--I think I did the right thing to call the law. Deer hunting in California--in spite of the marijuana grows, rave parties, and Angelenos--it's still a lotta fun. An adventure, for damn sure.

Bullshop
11-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Allen you have well cheared me up. Makes me quite happy to have only buffalo to deal with in my hunting. Well theres bears too but tags for those are rather easy to procure. Our shop is a hunting fishing trapping license vender for the state and resident bear tags of eather color are an over the counter item. To stay on topic we have proven on several ocasions that the Marlin 45/70 with any one of the RCBS gas check trio will do an impresive job making good bears of bad ones when pushed to the full capability of the Marlin!
BIC/BS