PDA

View Full Version : screw drivers

Lightning Ross
11-11-2006, 10:13 AM
I need some info on a set of screw drivers.I have four rugers and there is a stash fund for a 1911 un used cigerate money I have been saving up instead of smoking up.I need a set of decent quality screw drivers for my becnch.I dont want to break the bank but I dont want junk either What might fit my needs?

dragonrider
11-11-2006, 10:20 AM
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=417&title=MAGNA-TIP+SUPER+SETS?

KYCaster
11-11-2006, 10:37 AM
There used to be a Vermont-American plant here in town. They did most of the packaging for the company till NAFTA made Mexico look a lot more attractive....anyway, they made up lots of different sets with lots of different brand names. Among them were Brownell's and Craftsman. Allee samee.

Most of the big box stores have Vermont-American tools, often much cheaper than Brownell's.

Jerry

KS1911
11-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I use Grace screwdrivers and have been satisfied with them. There is a big difference between them and Craftsman/Stanley/etc. in the way they fit the screw heads.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6739&title=GRACE+SCREWDRIVER+SET

carpetman
11-11-2006, 12:48 PM
KS1911----Those Grace screwdrivers---Would you go so far as to say they are Amazing?

floodgate
11-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Lightning; Catpetman:

"Those Grace screwdrivers---Would you go so far as to say they are Amazing?"

YES!. I've had a basic set plus several in special sizes - the ones with the plain wooden handles - for over 40 years. They are some beat-up, and I've "customized" a couple for special jobs. But they are probably the BEST value for the $$$ of anything I've ever bought. Get TWO sets, one to customize as needed.

floodgate

redneckdan
11-11-2006, 02:11 PM
just make sure they are hollow ground

waksupi
11-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Brownell's carry several good sets. I do find the Grace overhardened for the most part, and do get some breakage. Our main use of them is for grip caps, and sling mounts. However, they do have a lifetime guarantee. All of us use heavier duty Brownell sets for tightening rifle actions, and whatever else comes along.

Char-Gar
11-11-2006, 04:33 PM
I bought a set of Grace in 1966 and am still using them without any breakage of any kind.

I bought a set of Brownells (with the interchangeable bits) about 1980 and within six months had broken all of the smaller bits. they were too hard.

Times change and products differ from year to year, but that is my experience. If I needed some new ones, I would buy Grace again.

imashooter2
11-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I've had this Chapman set for a few years now and have been pleased with its selection and quality. The helper wrench will really put the torque on while you concentrate on keeping straight pressure on the screw head. Replacement bits are easily available and inexpensive, so you never have an excuse for not grinding one to obtain perfect fit on an odd size slot.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=510765

Bret4207
11-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Regardless of which brand you get, learn how to shape and fit a screwdriver to the screw lot. I'm pretty sure any decent gunsmithing book will show how it's done. Not too wide for the slot, paralell sides and square tip.

Those "too hard" screw drivers can be gently heated in a flame till you just notice the color changing a bit. That should anneal them enought to work better. Same with the Chiwanese drill bit sets.