PDA

View Full Version : New game for new shooters

DevilDog83
02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Hello all,
Got a new way to get the new shooter out for some good, safe fun. We've taken what we feel are the best parts of USPSA, IDPA and ICORE and put them together into a fun, laid back, way to get the newbie into competitive shooting. Please check out our site and tell us what you think, good or bad !!! So far we've held 2 matches on Wed nights at an indoor range, and have had 39 and 41 shooters. Most have been first timers and they LOVED it. We are moving to an outdoor facility in March and will continue our Wed night matches and are looking at some more clubs that want to add this to their schedule. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

DevilDog83
02-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Would love some feedback from any of you that have checked it out. We are trying to do this for the shooter, and feedback will help us out, thanks, John

MT Gianni
02-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Finally saw that the location was in NC. I am instantly turned off by all things related to zombie unless the person can give me an easily understandable version of how someone becomes a zombie and or what could significantly happen to cause this to occur based on historical data or proven events. I hop it goes well for you but it seems very regional to start and I hold no interest at shooting beings that are not human but used to be. First rule of gun handling I learned was to keep my bbl away from others, including cap guns, paintball guns, and any others. That's my opinion.

DevilDog83
02-04-2011, 08:46 PM
The zombie theme was to add some fun, the basic jist of the new game is to get the new shooter out and introduced to the action shooting sports, thanks for your input Mt Gianni, all the best

Moonie
02-04-2011, 11:01 PM
While I would love to participate it is a tad too far for me to go during the work week.

DevilDog83
02-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Maybe when you are in the area sometime, thanks Moonie, Saturdays in March at The Range in Oxford perhaps, Have a good weekend

insanelupus
02-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Microsoft Elements labeled the site as suspicious and possibly contained malware. Didn't go past the first page, sorry.

crabo
02-05-2011, 12:45 PM
It looks like to me, it is a gimmick to get people shooting. I see how it will turn some people off just the way cowboy shooting does. It is going to appeal to a certain crowd. I like that it has to be powerfull enough to knock down steel.

If you asked about computer games, you would get a lot of varied responses from fun to waste of time. This shooting game is no different. If it had a good mix of fun and challenging targets, I'd shoot it. (if it was close to home) The zombie theme is inconsequential to me.

Linstrum
02-05-2011, 01:18 PM
:-) Hey, it looks good to me, anything that gets new folks interested in SAFELY burning powder to send projectiles down range is great! Having something that can be done indoors to take advantage of the boredom caused by foul weather is also a good idea - I'd much rather shoot than go bowling!

rl932

82nd airborne
02-05-2011, 01:31 PM
I have found the best way to get someone shooting varies by age.
Kids, raise them right where shooting is a part of life, and that guns are fun, yet to be respected.

Adults, put a suppressor on a .22 and let them shoot steel gongs. They will be hooked.

KYCaster
02-05-2011, 04:16 PM
One of the complaints I often hear about USPSA (Ungrateful Shooters Pouting and Screaming Always) is "Too many rules", so keeping your list short and simple is a step in the right direction.

On the other hand, a huge part of the USPSA rule book deals with safety.

As long as your group is small enough that you personally have control over every aspect of the match it may be fairly easy. But as you grow to the point you have to depend on others to take some responsibility, don't be surprised if your list of rules begins to grow.

Good luck
Jerry

DevilDog83
02-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks Jerry,
I shot 122 matches last year between USPSA, ICORE, IDPA and various 3 gun and "fun" matches. The rules pertaining to safety are the most important, but I don't think we need 20+ pages describing every unsafe action and the gun toting lawyer types trying to interpret/mis-interpret them (we've all seen it). As far as too many rules in USPSA, I agree and disagree, the rule book is large, but it does spell out each and every rule. The IDPA book is about the same, but half of those rules are vague, leave too much room for "interpretation, and some are, sorry to say, just stupid.
Before all the folks get all bent out of shape, I am an IDPA certified SO, USPSA certified RO and an NRA certified instructor with over 20 years, so I feel I have the right to comment.
My game is to let the newbie have fun, while learning the safety rules and get used to commands and procedures before they go to the other games. My intent is to never let the rules become too intense, let the people be safe and have fun, let the scores speak for themselves, not 3 seconds for a toe poking 1/4" out from behind a blue barrel.
Thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate your time, all the best this season, John

DevilDog83
02-07-2011, 08:13 AM
It's working, a brand new shooter from our Zombie match came out yesterday for his first ever IDPA match, and shot very well. He had a great time and now wants to join us next time at an USPSA match. One shooter at a time, we can double our ranks!!!

bbqncigars
02-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Now that looks like some fun stuff that doesn't take the specialized clothing that some of the other games do.

Wayne

DevilDog83
02-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Now that looks like some fun stuff that doesn't take the specialized clothing that some of the other games do.

Wayne

That's part of the plan, don't worry about all the small stuff, get what you have, come out and join us, be safe and have some fun, thanks for the feedback, John

RonE
02-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Finally saw that the location was in NC. I am instantly turned off by all things related to zombie unless the person can give me an easily understandable version of how someone becomes a zombie and or what could significantly happen to cause this to occur based on historical data or proven events. I hop it goes well for you but it seems very regional to start and I hold no interest at shooting beings that are not human but used to be. First rule of gun handling I learned was to keep my bbl away from others, including cap guns, paintball guns, and any others. That's my opinion.

So, it appears that you understand nothing at all about Zombies. You need to keep in mind that Zombies exist only in peoples minds and the more people think about Zombies, the better off gun owners will be. The next time anyone, weather a friend, social acquaintance or even your wife asks "why do you need another gun?" or "why do you have so many guns?" you will not have to think of an answer. We have all heard most of the answers: "I like guns", "Guns are part of our heritage", "I need this gun for---and that gun for--- and I would like to have a gun for---" now you can answer the question with one word and one word only, "Zombies" and then change the subject.

We do not need excuses to own guns and we certainly do not need to justify their ownership. The fastest way to end the conversation is to reply: "Zombies" and change the subject.

I am fortunate that I live in a low Zombie threat area and therefore don't need a lot of guns and I consider over 100 guns a lot of guns. I am safe here with less than a hundred but it pays to be prepaired.

DevilDog83
02-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks RonE, any excuse for another gun we really "need" is a good one !!! Our goal is simply to get new shooters out for some safe, structured fun with friends, old and new. The Zombie part just adds to the fun factor. Appreciate your input very much, shoot safe and often, John

joelpete
02-11-2011, 03:40 PM
The local indoor range, where I shoot league, had a zombie shoot at Halloween. It's a pretty high tech range and they're able to do some cool stuff with the target shuttle. They turned off the range lights (except the emergency exit lights right next to the shooting benches) sent the zombie targets downrange into the darkness, then flashed colored LEDs on the target (that are built into the target shuttle) imitating flashing police lights. You had a few seconds to fire during the flashing light sequence, before the target would pivot 90º and the lights would go dark. Scores and prizes were sorted out once everyone got a chance to shoot. I know it's not the same thing you're talking about, but the zombie theme was well received. So much so, my wife and I were unable to participate because we tried to sign up too late.

I'd like to get into some competitive shooting and if your Zombie Shooters Association was a little closer I would seriously consider it, as a stepping stone to IDPA. Alas, 1200 miles is too far for me to travel for a club shoot.

BTW, I'm unable to see your homepage "Credentials are missing." I can however see some of your child-level pages by clicking on them from search engine pages (e.g. http://zombieshootersassociation.com/zombie-news/)

DevilDog83
02-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Sorry to hear you could not get onto the Home Page, from here I can just click the blue, www.zombie,,,, and goes straight to site, from there you can hit the Home, Events calander, General Info, Map, Zombie News, Body Count, Rules and Equipment, Match results, Pictures and Videos, Join the Team, and Supporters and Resources pages

DevilDog83
02-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Over 40 shooters again last night, many of them brand new, this is working !!

troy_mclure
02-24-2011, 12:21 PM
i got a few people shooting last year buy inviting them to soot zombie targets from www.zombietargets.net

DevilDog83
02-24-2011, 01:00 PM
GREAT !! That's what we need, more good people supporting our sports. Check out our website and see how it's going so far, thanks for your reply, John

RugerFan
02-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Looks like a fun shoot. Wish I lived closer.

DevilDog83
02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Looks like a fun shoot. Wish I lived closer.

Talk to your local club/range. we are starting ZSA shoots in other States as we speak!!! The profit to the club is high and they get more shooters out. That's why we held a "Postal Match" last weekend, a repeatable match that we can slao use as a start for our classification system. Just let us know, and thanks for your post, all the best, John

GOPHER SLAYER
02-25-2011, 07:06 PM
John Z, that shoot sounds great, especially if it gets new shooters involved. We could use a zombie shoot here in the Golden State but alas, I fear it is too late. This state is over run with zombies. As I understand it a zombie is a mindless former human being who simply follows orders from a master or controller, such as whom to vote for and always vote for any new tax bill that comes along.. They are especially numerious in what is known as the bay area.It is believed that the first zombies came into San Fransisco Bay on a whaling ship from Taxachusetts. They have spread from there. It has been generally beleived up till now that zombies could not reproduce but that seems not to be the case, in California at least. Perhaps they have mutated here in the Golden State. Now one may ask why not a vampire shoot?. Vampires as I understand it only want a little of your blood while a zombie wants to consume your whole body and take all your money in taxes as well, at least that is the case here. I would like to say in closing, good luck John Z with your efforts to get new shooters involved. If I ever make it to the great state of North Caolina I would love to participate in the zombie shoot. Now if anyone takes offense at anything I have stated in this post, I really don't care.

DevilDog83
02-25-2011, 09:27 PM
John Z, that shoot sounds great, especially if it gets new shooters involved. We could use a zombie shoot here in the Golden State but alas, I fear it is too late. This state is over run with zombies. As I understand it a zombie is a mindless former human being who simply follows orders from a master or controller, such as whom to vote for and always vote for any new tax bill that comes along.. They are especially numerious in what is known as the bay area.It is believed that the first zombies came into San Fransisco Bay on a whaling ship from Taxachusetts. They have spread from there. It has been generally beleived up till now that zombies could not reproduce but that seems not to be the case, in California at least. Perhaps they have mutated here in the Golden State. Now one may ask why not a vampire shoot?. Vampires as I understand it only want a little of your blood while a zombie wants to consume your whole body and take all your money in taxes as well, at least that is the case here. I would like to say in closing, good luck John Z with your efforts to get new shooters involved. If I ever make it to the great state of North Caolina I would love to participate in the zombie shoot. Now if anyone takes offense at anything I have stated in this post, I really don't care.

God Bless you Mr. Gopher Slayer !!!! I don't think anyone on this forum would take offense as we are all pretty much like minded, but if they do, like you said, who cares!!! Thanks for your reply. If there are any ranges left in your State and you want to get a ZSA match going, I would do all I can to help you out. If you ever get to the East side of the USA, you are welcome to stay with us and shoot with us any time. I shot 122 matches last year, we are in a great area around raleigh, as we have stuff every weekend. tomorrow we were invited to a full auto shoot and should have some cool videos to put up on our website and Facebook page. All the best to you my brother, John

GOPHER SLAYER
02-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the kind words and invitation John Z. I have never had the pleasure of visiting the state of North Carolina. I undersstand it is beautiful and if I do get to go there I will surely accept your offer. My Mothers ancesters came from the Ashville area and I met many great guys from there when I was in the Navy. As for setting up a match here,it is out of the question. The range we have to go to now is owned by an investment group from Colorado and all they want you to do is shoot and shut up. They are only interested in is the bottom line. Even worse, the range is a hundred mile drive round trip.

DevilDog83
02-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Sorry to hear that my friend, we just got home from an invitation full auto shoot. My girlfriend got a chance to shoot a .50 cal Barret and a bunch of vintage full autos, great day and time. Even got to shoot a Civil War era 5lb cannon. Will have videos on our site later tonight. You are always welcome in NC my friend.

DevilDog83
03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Just put up a video explaining the scoring system for ZSA matches. Hope this answers some questions. Link to site below, video on website, facebook and youtube.

redneckdan
03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Why the heck not. People dress up and play cowboy, this seems to me to be kind of along the same train of thought. Hopefully it will help pull in new shooters who can be shown safe weapon handling skills. :p

DevilDog83
03-04-2011, 11:32 AM
You got it my friend, it's about getting new shooters out into friendly competition, where they can learn to SAFELY compete and make some new friends along the way. ZSA is growing like crazy and thanks to all who have supported us so far. Any interest in hosting matches at your club, please let us know and we'll do all we can to get you started.

Phillip
03-06-2011, 12:29 PM
John, if you are looking for ideals on shooting setups, contact these guys.....

http://www.nhrpc.org/

This past Halloween, they had a huge setup.

The stages were:
1) AR+Pistol
2) Pistol+Shotgun
3) Air soft 2 man team shoot in a haunted house

I had a few friends that shot in it, and all came back saying it was allot of fun.

DevilDog83
03-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks Phillip, going to the site now

KCSO
03-07-2011, 07:32 PM
The only problem I see is that like all fun matches it's OK till the fun is replaced by a desire to WIN. I remember cowboy shooting when a levergun and a SAA 45 would be hi tech and the debate was full B/P loads or smokless. Now slicked up 38's and shoort action lever guns.

I shot PPC till and they went to bull barrels and slicked up DAO revolvers costing an arm and a leg. I remember when a stock 1911 would get you by in a combat match and a stock 1911 won bowling pin matches. I wonder how long before somebody makes a zombie gun?

IMHO ANY shooting game that will get KIDS out and shooting is good and I shoot all kinds of matches throughout the year. If I were somewhere close I would give zombies a try for sure.

DevilDog83
03-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks for your input KCSO. You are right on target. When I shoot any match, be it USPSA, IDPA and now ZSA, I shoot to win. Our game is designed for the newer shooter to get used to the range commands, how to be safe and how action shooting works. Many of our shooters are upper end (master IDPA and "A" class or better USPSA) and we shoot to win, but as more experienced shooters, we have much to offer the newer shooter in a laid back atmosphere, not like at a State match, where you must concentrate on your own game. It looks like our goal is working so far, as we've gotten quite a few new shooters to join the other sports so far. We just had 150 shooters at our local USPSA match this past Saturday, some of which were at their first one as a result of being introduced via ZSA. If you have a range that would host a match, please let me know and we do all we can to help out, have a great shooting season, John

bowfin
03-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Okay, this could be the next big wave.

Cowboy Action Shooting is great for those of us who watched "Gunsmoke"and John Wayne movies at the drive in theaters. Most kids have replaced that with Nazi Zombies on Xbox, so this hits upon a popular theme.

Just don't let the idea get hijacked. Both John Taffin and Mike Venturino have written that Cowboy Action shooting seems to have lost a lot of the fun factor and morphed into rapid fire pea shooting matches.

How thick are the 6"x6" plates or rounds?

DevilDog83
03-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Hey bowfin, thanks for the input! Most of the plates are at least 3/8" thick. Whatever the hosting club has available. Standard plate racks are great, at 10 yards they are regular Zombie hits, but go out to 20 yards or so and make them bonus hits. If we can get kids off the couch and out on the range with Mom and Dad, that would be great! Be safe and have fun

DevilDog83
05-03-2011, 07:42 AM
We are now in multiple States and membership is growing fast due to online sign ups. Please check it out and if you have a range in your area looking to attract new shooters and make some money at the same time, please let us know, thanks, John

DevilDog83
05-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Saturday night at Eagle 1 in Raleigh, NC, ZSA match

0verkill
08-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I too like the idea of "If your ammo isn’t centerfired and not strong enough to knock down steel, too bad!". It may prevent the rabid gamesmanship I've heard so much about, keeping it on a more even keel for everone. I've always thought there should be a "wimp" catagory, like anything under 44 caliber in cowboy shooting or something, might siscourage some from using smaller calibers.

I hav a question about your rules

1) Any safe holster that is not a crossdraw, small or back holster, or sholder or sholder rig may be used.

Why the restrictions on holster type?

2) LE/MIL may use thigh rigs or duty gear.

So can non LE/MIL use thigh rigs?

3) AMMO can be carried anywhere on the body, but safe retrieval must be considered (use mag holders or speedloader or speedloader holders) but if you need some extra in a pocket, no problem, just be safe.

I do like that I could bring a new gun I didn't have pouches for and shoot.

I have never shot any kind of competition whatsoever and would be interested in doing this sometime, maybe I'll make it down someday.

DevilDog83
08-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I too like the idea of "If your ammo isn’t centerfired and not strong enough to knock down steel, too bad!". It may prevent the rabid gamesmanship I've heard so much about, keeping it on a more even keel for everone. I've always thought there should be a "wimp" catagory, like anything under 44 caliber in cowboy shooting or something, might siscourage some from using smaller calibers.

I hav a question about your rules

1) Any safe holster that is not a crossdraw, small or back holster, or sholder or sholder rig may be used.

Why the restrictions on holster type?

2) LE/MIL may use thigh rigs or duty gear.

So can non LE/MIL use thigh rigs?

3) AMMO can be carried anywhere on the body, but safe retrieval must be considered (use mag holders or speedloader or speedloader holders) but if you need some extra in a pocket, no problem, just be safe.

I do like that I could bring a new gun I didn't have pouches for and shoot.

I have never shot any kind of competition whatsoever and would be interested in doing this sometime, maybe I'll make it down someday.

Sorry for not responding, could not get on forum for awhile, anyway, the holsters not allowed are for safety reasons, those types will be pointing uprange while loaded, not ok in any shooting sport. Yes regular people can use Mil/LE type holsters, as long as safe. Would be happy to get a match in your area if you have a range, again sorry for not responding quicker, all the best, John

DevilDog83
08-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Would like to invite all of you to our Wedding Match. Yup, Mel and I are getting married on 16 Oct 2011 during a ZSA match at The Range in Oxford, NC. 6 stage pistol only ZSA match with a pig pickin BBQ after the match, a way cool side match with 2 pistols as prizes and a raffle that is getting more prizes added every day !!Our website has the details on raffle and other stuff, if you are in the area, please join us, thanks, John

0verkill
09-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks for clarifying on the rules. I noticed quite a few shooting disciplines in their rules ban shoulder holsters and crossdraw. I know at least one of the cowboy action shooting groups (SASS I think) I was reading up on allowed crossdraw but only if the angle was so many degrees or less.
On the shoulder holsters, since the reason for banning them is to keep the muzzle from pointing behind you, what about a holster where the muzzle pointed straight down, like a Victory model holster?

I wish there was any kind of organized shooting range around here, I'd try my best to get some kind of action shooting sport going. I still intend to try to make it down there some weekend. I got a friend wanting to get into shooting, if I can get him talked into shooting zombies maybe.

DevilDog83
09-02-2011, 09:38 PM
If all you can do is find some good safe private land in your area where it's legal to shoot, you can have a match

0verkill
09-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Well I got a place to shoot, I got a Pocket Pro timer, now if I can get a few people to all take the same day off work. I figured it may be easier to get them to go to an "organized and sanctioned" match.

DevilDog83
09-04-2011, 08:17 PM
You got it, PM me your info, email or mailing address, and we will get some info out to you.

DevilDog83
12-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Here's an update on ZSA, in less than a year, we've held 36 matches, at 6 locations, in 3 different States, with a total of 1,144 shooters. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. Thanks for all the support and looking forward to our second year, we will grow way faster!!!!!

Linstrum
12-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Hey, John Z Sr, glad to hear you are doing well!

I live in Otero County, New Mexico, and a few weeks ago I saw a pickup truck with a Zombie Shooters bumper sticker. We really don't have a lot of Zombies out here, but we do have a problem with Chupacabras. When we get the Zombies under control maybe we can concentrate on the Chupacabras!

rl 1035

DevilDog83
12-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Very cool my friend, thanks for the update !!!

bowfin
12-12-2011, 03:25 PM
...unless the person can give me an easily understandable version of how someone becomes a zombie and or what could significantly happen to cause this to occur based on historical data or proven events.

Think mobs. Mobs of zombies and mobs of "other than zombies" aren't separated by a whole lot of differences, but enough not to draw the suspicion and ire of those with firearm phobias.

No one gets offended when you practice shooting at hordes of imaginary undead monsters with no redeeming social value. Also, an increasing number of gun ranges and local governments are prohibiting shooting at targets that have a human likeness. Who would be against shooting zombies?

bowfin
12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
By the way, a setup with multiple targets moving towards you would be great.

I would minimize the time element, and concentrate on accuracy. Cowboy Action shooting has been ruined because speed trumps all.

JJC
12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
My kids six and seven like the zombie targets. I think I will pick up some more and design a set up like you have in your shoots for them. I am also turned off by the CAS but to each his own. John Z have you had any interest in Colorado? I shoot at the Ben Lomond gun club blgc.org. They host alot of shoots there on a regular basis.

DevilDog83
12-12-2011, 05:16 PM
We've had some interest from the Great State of Colorado, but no one has given me the name of a range yet, until now. Thanks, I will contact them and see what they say.

DevilDog83
12-12-2011, 05:24 PM
My kids six and seven like the zombie targets. I think I will pick up some more and design a set up like you have in your shoots for them. I am also turned off by the CAS but to each his own. John Z have you had any interest in Colorado? I shoot at the Ben Lomond gun club blgc.org. They host alot of shoots there on a regular basis.

Just looked up the Ben Lomond Gun Club and got a phone #, calling their Pres. now, details to follow.

DevilDog83
12-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Open invite to all in the NC/VA area to our ZSA Christmas match at The Range in Oxford, NC this Saturday, 6 stages, all pistol, 180 rounds without any misses, fun time, join us, if not Merry Christmas and maybe next time.

waksupi
12-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Open invite to all in the NC/VA area to our ZSA Christmas match at The Range in Oxford, NC this Saturday, 6 stages, all pistol, 180 rounds without any misses, fun time, join us, if not Merry Christmas and maybe next time.

John, post that into the competition section, if you would.

DevilDog83
12-14-2011, 10:17 AM
will do, sorry if I screwed up

waksupi
12-14-2011, 01:06 PM
will do, sorry if I screwed up

No problem putting it here, just hoped more would see it in the other section.