PDA

View Full Version : Fireform 30-30 to .32 WS?

dualsport
02-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Can I fireform 30-30 brass in a M94 .32 Winchester Special? If so, how?

redneckdan
02-03-2011, 09:13 PM
You probably can find a tapered expander and just full length size them. The other way would be to full length size with the expander removed, then prime, add 5.0gr of a fast pistol powder like bullseye or red dot, then fill to the neck with cream of wheat and top with a tuft of paper. Fire them off and they will blow out to fit the chamber. Just don't do this in town.....don't ask me how I know....:mrgreen:

sundog
02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Dualsport, yes. One pass through the 32 Spl FLS die, load and shoot.

dualsport
02-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys. I borroed the gun from my BIL and don't have dies yet. I'll probably get the RCBS Cowboy dies based on what I've been reading, as I'm only interested in shooting cbs in it, mainly for a cb silhouette match. I'll load some 30-30s tonite with the Bullseye, COW, and paper trick, shoot them tomorrow. I have Lee 8mm Mauser dies to hopefully seat a boolit 'til I get the right dies. The expander/decapper is missing from my 8mm set!

peerlesscowboy
02-03-2011, 11:19 PM
When you get your new .32 sp RCBS Cowboy die set, just lube the inside of the neck good & run 'em thru' the expander die. I don't think you'd need to bother with the fire-forming?

John C. Saubak

Tom W.
02-04-2011, 12:08 AM
My late Father just shot 30/30 shells from his .32 Special. I dunno why...I was young and still thought it wasn't the thing to do..

dualsport
02-04-2011, 02:06 AM
The die set is a big investment for a borrowed gun, but if it goes well I would like to have a .32 of my own. Otherwise I could sell the dies here after I use them. It's crossed my mind to convert my 94 30-30 to .32 Sp., it's a post '64 and can't really lose value much. When I picked up the gun today I was surprised to see it wasn't drilled and tapped for a reciever sight. My 70's era gun is, wears a Williams Foolproof. The factory open sights are going to make it more interesting on the turkeys and rams. I'm no Winchester expert, but this .32 I borrowed looks like it's never been shot, although I'm sure it has. BIL bought it in '47, before I was born, $70 he says. I think it's stood in the back of the closet since then. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions, I'll report back on the fireforming, which I understand now is a temporary measure 'til I get the dies. EDIT: TW, I shot half a box of .243s in a .308 Win. last year, by mistake. No idea where the thing was hitting, couldn't have hit a bus at 50 yds. Took me a bit to wake up I guess.

jh45gun
02-04-2011, 02:26 AM
The die set is a big investment for a borrowed gun, but if it goes well I would like to have a .32 of my own. Otherwise I could sell the dies here after I use them. It's crossed my mind to convert my 94 30-30 to .32 Sp., it's a post '64 and can't really lose value much. When I picked up the gun today I was surprised to see it wasn't drilled and tapped for a reciever sight. My 70's era gun is, wears a Williams Foolproof. The factory open sights are going to make it more interesting on the turkeys and rams. I'm no Winchester expert, but this .32 I borrowed looks like it's never been shot, although I'm sure it has. BIL bought it in '47, before I was born, $70 he says. I think it's stood in the back of the closet since then. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions, I'll report back on the fireforming, which I understand now is a temporary measure 'til I get the dies. EDIT: TW, I shot half a box of .243s in a .308 Win. last year, by mistake. No idea where the thing was hitting, couldn't have hit a bus at 50 yds. Took me a bit to wake up I guess.

Why bother with that the two are so close in performance that I would just leave the 30/30 as is.

dualsport
02-05-2011, 02:33 AM
The fireforming was a success. 4.7 gr. Bullseye, (Lee dipper), fill to neck with COW, and paper towel wad on top, lightly packed down. Smelled nice too, like toast. The paper wad went about 25 ft. in confetti form. The former 30-30 cases measure right for .32 WS, and fit the old 94 good. Loading Ranch Dog boolit this weekend, try at least, with no proper dies. jh, it's just for my amusement, can't say it makes sense, but you have got me thinking. Maybe the 16" twist is no big deal with smokeless powder in both. The 30-30 will do the job just fine, that's for sure.

Chuck 100 yd
02-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I love the 32WS and find they (I have 3) shoot cast bullets very well. Even when the bullets are unstable because they are too heavy ,they shoot nice groups at short to mid range. The RCBS 170 bullet is stable at lower velocity and the groups show it as they hover around one holers at that range.
Have fun!
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/chuckleininger/IMG_1600.jpg
Notice the bullet holes show they are tipping. Not so with the 170 gr. bullets.