PDA

View Full Version : Lead bullets and the M1 Carbine

Roundnoser
02-03-2011, 08:34 PM
I'll bet this question has been asked before, but I couldn't readily find in on a seach. Wondering if I can lean on the experience of the M1Carbine folks out there...

I have a baby Garand (Circa 1940's Inland Div.). I have everything to reload for it including a Lee mold (120 gr w/ GC). I have been told, and have read that using cast bullets in gas operated semi's can be problematic. Specifically, I understand that lead from the bullet can shave off at the gas port/return and eventully clog it up. Some folks have recommended sticking with FMJs to reload.

What is your advice on this issue. I have very little experience with the carbine (except for shooting it!), so for my sake keep it simple!

Echo
02-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Cast 'em & shoot 'em. That is the boolit I use in my Carbine, and I have zip zero nada leading or gas cylinder issues. The advice you are referring to comes from rationalization, not empiricism. IMHO

NickSS
02-04-2011, 06:48 AM
I have shot many thousands of cast lead bullets in M1 carbines over the years and never had a problem with leading of any sort. I in fact use the same bullet in mine now with excellent results.

oldhickory
02-04-2011, 09:35 AM
I have several molds for .30 carbine,including the LEE 120gr. and have shot many many more cast than jacketed out of my Underwood without a single hitch or leading problem. I mostly use the Lyman 311410 130gr. rn though, simply because it'sa p-b boolit and I don't have to mess with gas checks. Generally, somewhere around 11.5-13gr. of IMR4227 works well.

DevilDog83
02-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Been using the same boolit in my girlfriend's carbine and they are accurate and no leading, good luck and have fun.

zomby woof
02-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I have shot many thousands of cast lead bullets in M1 carbines over the years and never had a problem with leading of any sort. I in fact use the same bullet in mine now with excellent results.

Me too

zuke
02-05-2011, 12:11 AM
I have a LeMag conversion to .45 Win Mag, and I use the LEE TL452-230-TC.
No problem's with me.

Artful
02-05-2011, 02:12 PM
I have a LeMag conversion to .45 Win Mag, and I use the LEE TL452-230-TC.
No problem's with me.

Can you post some pictures of that bad boy. [smilie=1:

chris in va
02-05-2011, 05:30 PM
My AK's gas tube got jammed with lead this last range trip. Still trying to figure out what happened.

hicard
02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Zuke, I have a LeMag also. What loads are you working with? I use 2400, and have H110 and some other powders I can use. I tend to load light as I do not want to split that paper thin barrel any time soon. I am also having some problems with the cases jumping out of the bolt face at feeding. Other than that, I love the little thumper.

zuke
02-09-2011, 06:12 PM
I'll post some pic's when I get a chance.
I'm using 16-17 grain's of Accurrate #7 with LEE 230 gr. tumble lube's.

shotman
02-09-2011, 08:46 PM
leading is most of the time not a problem BUT dirty burning powder is stay with a non flake and you will be fine

zuke
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I should have asked you what kind of stock you have your's sitting in highcard,Mine eat's the wooden one's and is now sitting in a choate side folder.
Make's a great Blueberry gun!

ELFEGO BACA
02-11-2011, 10:35 PM
I have successfully used plain base cast bullets in my M1 carbine with no problems.

elfego

JIMinPHX
02-12-2011, 12:47 AM
leading is most of the time not a problem BUT dirty burning powder is stay with a non flake and you will be fine

Flake powders are a problem? Ball, stick & tube powders are not? Can you please expand on that a little? I must be missing something.

leadman
02-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi Jim, don't know for sure what the other poster was referencing but I tried Blue Dot and Unique in my M-1 carbines. The burning characteristics weren't much of a problem but when I tried to get the load to work the action I started to get some leading. I found this was the same with other guns using a fast burning powder at the top pressure levels. Swiching to a slower powder, which happened to be a ball type corrected this.

Crash_Corrigan
02-18-2011, 05:34 PM
I do not have a Carbine. I load my .30 Carbine rounds with lead boolits for my Ruger BH and I have been loading lead boolits for my M-1 Garand for years without a problem.

I keep the velocity below 1800 FPS and the empties stack up in a nice pile two feet in front of me and bit to the right. The recoil is like a .223 and a very mild report. Saves powder and gives me a lot of fun.

beagle
02-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Check castpics/articles by members/Cast in the M-1 Carbine.

PB as well as GC bullets work well in the M-1 carbine. I was unable to get the Unique load to function the action reliable.

I attempted to shoot some this winter and out of my carbine and two of my son's, I had functioning problems. In warm weather. There's no problem.

An no problem with leading in the gas system from my test results./beagle

koehn,jim
02-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I use the lyman 311410 in my carbine and have had no leading issues, but I clean it after every outing even 50 rounds. It functions well and is accurate as ball ammo. the best thing is the plain base boolits is down right inexpensive to shoot.