PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Case Life VS Head Space?

JesterGrin_1
02-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Is a Tight Head space beneficial for increased case life and accuracy in rifle cartridges?

Your Thoughts Please. :bigsmyl2:

felix
02-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes. ... felix

JesterGrin_1
02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Felix I always like your very long winded Explanations lol. :)

But to be honest I would like the reasoning of it as well. As I am trying to learn something lol.:) And maybe a few others are also wondering the same thing but have not asked.

felix
02-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Gosh, Jester, you already know that answer!!!! We are always talking about fit, fit, fit,.....fit. ... felix

S.R.Custom
02-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Actually, if you plan on reloading --or more specifically, neck sizing only-- then headspace is almost irrelevant beyond the initial firing.

Doc Highwall
02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Yes and no. If you are reloading it depends on how you set up your sizing die by not pushing the shoulder back too far. I use the Stony Point head space whenever I set my dies up for a .001"-.002" set back. As was mentioned the first firing of loaded ammo makes a difference if your chamber is on the long side. With new cases you can jamb the bullet into the rifling to help cut down on case stretching.

Molly
02-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Since your sizing die pushes the shoulder back to anywhere you want it, you can also set the headspace to anything you want by adjusting the die. Fireform your cases by jamming the bullet into the throat for the first shot with a light powder load. Then lube a fired case and size it no more than enough to let the bolt close. Lock those settings in your die, and you can have a rifle that billy-bob customized with a brace and bit, and never have the slightest trouble from headspace.

stubshaft
02-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Benchrest shooters will usually prep 10 to 20 cases for their rifles. The cases usuall last until the barrel is shot out.

Shooter
02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Actually, if you plan on reloading --or more specifically, neck sizing only-- then headspace is almost irrelevant beyond the initial firing.

You are correct sir; for ultimate case life, breech seat your boolits and don't resize at all.
Any sizing of the brass makes it brittle, and prone to crack.

kbstenberg
02-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Jester i hope you don't mind me adding another question.
Would it help case life to get dies with the interchangeable neck inserts to not overwork the necks?
Being new to loading I'm having trouble with my 30/30. Case life is very short. Almost all cases separate just above the web of the case. Occasionally i will get a split neck but not as often as i get the case separation on the lower part of the case. I neck size only, an have to trim cases every time i use them.
Kevin

felix
02-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Kevin, tell us about the load you use mostly. Also, the temperature of the loads when shot mostly. ... felix

wiljen
02-04-2011, 10:25 AM
A perfect example of this is the 303 Brit which most American manufacturers of brass move the shoulder way too far back on just to make sure it fits in everything coming and going. I find a small o-ring around the base of the case ahead of the rim that holds the case all the way to the rear will move the shoulder forward to correct length on first firing, then neck sizing allows 303 cases to last as long as most any other cartridge of similar capacity/brass strength. I separated more than 1 case head before finding this trick. The case would go in to the shoulder then stretch at the back end rather than the front thus causing the separation in the base portion of the case. By holding it to the rear, the case is forced to stretch forward and eliminates the problem.

Doc Highwall
02-04-2011, 06:42 PM
kbstenberg, the only dies I use now are the Redding Bushing Dies in either full length or competition neck sizing.

44magLeo
02-05-2011, 07:55 PM
I have a Lee collet neck sizer. It works well so far. Haven't shot much yet. Too cold out to do much shooting. Hard to shoot well with chattering teeth and shivering.
The Lee collet die works the case about as minimally as it can get. The collet squeezes the neck around a mandrel.
A regular neck sizer squeezes the neck down too small, then expands it back too the right size. This works the brass more than the collet does.
It doesn't touch the case body.
If after a few firings the case gets tight in the chamber I have a full length sizer I can use to partail resize the cases to keep the headspace tight and get the case to chamber freely.

Smoke-um if you got-um
02-06-2011, 02:48 AM
For case life and longevity(and piece of mind regarding case separation) the Lee collet die is well worth the money when shooting cast bullets. Also, I liked that idea of the thin o-ring in front of the rim on the first firing.

Mike

MtGun44
02-07-2011, 05:59 PM
If you shoot "factory size" ammo, YES.

If you custom fit your reloads to your chamber, you will always have "tight headspace" no
matter what a factory size round does.

EDIT: Within reason - if the gun cannot fire a factory round safely, it needs to be fixed!

Bill

largom
02-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Kevin, tell us about the load you use mostly. Also, the temperature of the loads when shot mostly. ... felix

Also tell us what gun are you shooting.
Larry