PDA

View Full Version : Redfield JR 336-R

dromia
02-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Excuse me for being stupid but I've just got a Redfield JR 336-R scope mount base with folding rearsight for a Marlin 336 in 30/30.

I can see how it fits to the reciever but I can only see how to fit one turn in scope ring to the mount, where does the other scope ring go?

What scope rings do I need for this mount 1" tube.

pietro
02-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Not knowing something isn't being stupid - not asking is.

IIRC, only the front ring is a turn-in, rotary dovetail style. The rear ring should have a flat bottom, with a rounded notch (for wont of a better term) on each side of the bottom edge, to impinge upon the insides of two large-headed screws, one in each rear side of the base, which protrude upward to both limit rear ring side movement, and also provide a rough windage adjustment to allow for any misalignment between the mount & the bore.

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/180-180-ffffff/opplanet-leupold-std1-piece-bases-new.png

I think some of the very early Redfield JR bases took a rear ring about half the width (thinner/narrower) of modern rear rings - I have no idea whether or not you have a vintage base or a more modern version.

The rings should be just like every other Burris, Redfield, and Leupold ringset - that fit the rotary/turn-in base - as long as you don't buy a Double Dovetail ringset, made for a base with two rotary dovetail recess'.

Congrats - I like that "Little Bo Peep". You'll most likely need a front sight blade at least .150" higher than issue, in order to zero the rifle with it - a good chance to exchange the front sight bead material and/or size for one that may be more to your liking.

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/180-180-ffffff/opplanet-leupold-std-rings.png

BTW - I would suggest the use of a heavy/solid lubricant (grease) on the rotary dovetail to reduce wear, and don't R&R the scope as an everyday occurrance, for the same reason. Wear there = loosness = wandering horizontal zero.

dromia
02-04-2011, 03:54 AM
Many thanks for the clear explanation Pietro, now I know what I'm looking for. :-D

Char-Gar
02-05-2011, 01:08 PM
When you turn that front scope ring into the base, do it without the scope. Assemble the rings and use a screwdriver handle, dowel or some other object to turn with. Aluminum scopes have had their tubes bent by turning. Steel tube scopes are not a problem.

dromia
02-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the tip Chargar. :D